Special Duty Liberator MK.VI - Hasagawa 1/72

hadzi

It's my B-24J Liberator MK.VI special version for Special Duty Squadrons.
GR-V from 1586th Special Duty Flight (Polish) later 301 Special Duty Squadron (Polish) in Brindisi Italy 1944/45.
img_4611.jpg
img_4612.jpg
img_4614.jpg
img_4615.jpg
img_4616.jpg
Merry Christmass!

• Like 24

Beautifully made and painted model, but it is a Mk.III (B-24D) not a Mk.VI.

No, Graham . It is a MK.VI based on B-24J, the front tured was replaced by a greenhous and the rear turet bei one from Halifax.

You can see that the greenhous are diferent because the hull is deeper then by B-24D.

Believe me, I know what I'm writing.

Indeed you do, my apologies. I had jumped a handful of serials, the Mk.VIs beginning with BZ960. However, but for the depth, the greenhouse appears to be the same as that on other UK Liberators including near-neighbour BZ938, a GR Mk.V (which does not have the undernose kink in the fuselage typical of a J. So this is not just a field mod but properly worked-up. The Boulton Paul rear turret was a common fit on the earlier RAF Liberators. BZ970 has the Emerson turret representative of RAF Mk.VIs - it would be interesting to see what noses were on BX960-964. However, looking at the histories, unlike its neighbours BZ965 did go straight to the Polish SD flight, so removal of the turret was presumably part of drag-reduction/range-extending mods at Scottish Aviation after delivery.

I assume from your comment that you do have access to good side-view photos of the nose?

Edited by Graham Boak

I assume from your comment that you do have access to good side-view photos of the nose?

this are modified B-24J in Polish service, the lower part of greenhouse is straight.

libb24.jpg

LiberatorBVIGR-SBZ965_01.jpg

Here you can see the nose painting after modification from turret to greenhouse (dark area)

liberatorev978.jpg

libprzel.jpgev978.jpg

libsz.jpg

fbc93302d78b388b.jpg

this is a B-24D the lower part of greenhouse is at an angle

4.jpg

d9a4c5d9fca5ae24.jpg

here a B-24D in Polish service

9_14.jpg

Edited by hadzi
  • Like 1

All these arcane comments on B-24 mods are terribly confusing for the simple mind that I am...

I am happy just looking at a beautiful model of a splendid aircraft.

Congrats for a superlative job !!!

JR

It is indeed a beautiful model, but of such a rare variant it is worth a few words. As for arcane, there is an entire book dedicated just to the nose differences of US turreted B-24s - that's without touching the early noses or any non-US changes. Here it seems as though the upper transparencies have remained the same, with only the lowest parts changing. The patch of dark colour on the nose presumably covers the new frame and skinning, and in RAF Dark Green rather than OD?

Thanks for the additional photos and artwork.

Edited by Graham Boak

Here it seems as though the upper transparencies have remained the same, with only the lowest parts changing. The patch of dark colour on the nose presumably covers the new frame and skinning, and in RAF Dark Green rather than OD?

In Poland we believe that is RAF Dark Green and some Grey color on the underside and yes inly the lowest part of greenhouse are deeper.

Best regards and thank you Guys!