1:72 Sikorsky Ilya Muromets, Maquette/scratchbuilt - the beast is back!

Brandy

Parachutes of course were, but the command was of the opinion, the plane is expensive, the pilot has a parachute, at the slightest danger can leave the plane, so the parachutes were in the warehouse ...

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Great stuff! I can see me digging out my stalled ICM kit at this rate!

Martian

You'l need every one of your arms for this one!

Another day spent on the Argus production line today, this time fitting the ignition systems. I used .4mm aluminium tube and .010" brass rod bent into little "S" shapes for the leads. I will NOT be adding the plugs and wires! 

33368874311_9bbcdfe154_k.jpg

33368873261_174011fa3c_k.jpg

That leaves just the carbs to make, and the exhausts, both to be added now, and the upper half of the coolant system, which I may or may not leave until the wings are together to be sure that the clearances are ok. I may just add the coolant lines then clip them to length later....

I also need to add the Bowden cables for the tachometers, which ran along the upper wing surface into the fuselage.

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 11

On 3/17/2017 at 6:36 PM, hendie said:

looking very engineery like

Cheers Hendie!

The last couple of days have been spent getting the carbs done. I used .030" x .040" rod for the centre piece, 0.4mm aluminium tube for the trumpets with tiny pieces of .040" plastic rod for the float chambers, and  .020" brass rod for the upper mounts. They are now finished and attached!

33495466656_867e52db93_k.jpg

33379400062_b85995aff0_k.jpg

33536536955_5663d1022e_k.jpg

I'm calling those finished!
I have also painted some thin copper wire to use as the Bowden cables and those will be fitted tomorrow. 

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 9

Been away and therefore have followed the build of the engines in one go. Just making one of these would be enough to drive a sane person mad.... to make four must have stretched your patience! Having written that they look superb - what an improvement. I still think that it would have been more sensible to build the whole thing from scratch!

P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished repainting the national insignia today, and although I'm much happier with the colours (the blue is Modelmaster Acryl Blue Angels blue) my masking is apparently not up to par.....some touching in to do!

33747499295_e1d9f29ea6_b.jpg

32934326863_a5958cd3c1_b.jpg

A huge improvement though, the more I looked at the pale blue the more I didn't like it!

Ian

• Like 6

On 3/31/2017 at 6:31 AM, Ed Russell said:

It kind of looks like that's what he is doing. Very nice work!

Thanks Ed, and yes, there's no question that the vast majority is scratchbuilt, and even those few kit parts I've used have been heavily modified - I have to justify the kit cost somehow!

I was a little worried about the roundels, and was prepared to sand them all off and start again, mainly because I didn't know whether the circles would be concentric after touching in parts of the edges. It turned out ok though and I think I'll leave it as is!

33635231081_de0380f807_b.jpg

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 7

All PB pic links have now been replaced with Flickr links. I'll be back on to this one as soon as my dual Sopwith build is finished!

Ian

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How on earth did I miss this?you are doing such a wonderful job, makes my HP looks like a walk in the park.

Seems like you're about to start up again eh? :penguin:

yay!  I'll join in if I may. Better late than never. 

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Indeed Johnny, welcome aboard!

Today I received the PE bits for the Pup that I was waiting for,  so shouldn't be too long now!

Ian

• Thanks 1

I built one of these OOB in 1999 or 2000...with no knowledge that the dimensions were all wrong or that it was a terrible kit.  I was woefully ignorant...Yes...it was a terrible kit.  Too bad, since it is such a unique aircraft.  We need someone to put one out again.  

Your work on this has been stunning and I am excited to see the finished piece.   

--John

• Like 1

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Indeed Johnny, welcome aboard!

Today I received the PE bits for the Pup that I was waiting for,  so shouldn't be too long now!

Ian

Well my hats are all off to you! I'd missed this and love the work you've put in on this one. Proper modelling. :clap2:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I built one of these OOB in 1999 or 2000...with no knowledge that the dimensions were all wrong or that it was a terrible kit.  I was woefully ignorant...Yes...it was a terrible kit.  Too bad, since it is such a unique aircraft.  We need someone to put one out again.  

Your work on this has been stunning and I am excited to see the finished piece.   

--John

I would have been ignorant about that too, but fortunately the kit I bought on ebay had an article in the box by Harry Woodman describing the errors. That caused me to get a copy of his Windsock special. I don't know of any other online builds of this using his notes, so this build is dedicated to his memory.

15 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Well my hats are all off to you! I'd missed this and love the work you've put in on this one. Proper modelling. :clap2:

Many thanks Sabrejet, welcome aboard. I will hopefully finish the Pup in the next week and get back onto this - time permitting!

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Well, folks...as promised, the beast is back!

Before I attach the lower wings there are still a couple of things that need doing. The first of those was tackled today.

Exhausts. 24 of them. I bought some Albion Alloys aluminium tube of 0.6mm od and 0.4mm id specifically for this job. All I had to do was find a way to cut it into 4mm lengths, with one end cut at an angle....and keep them all the same!

After thinking a while, I remembered Des Delatorre's (WW1aircraftmodels) tip for cutting lengths of rod so I decided to make a little jig. I first marked a drill bit with tape so I knew how deep to drill....

36116349893_d4e4027e5c_c.jpg

Then I found a piece of scrap suitable for the jig and drilled the hole. The angle I needed was marked with a permanent marker, and the corner of the piece of scrap was carefully sanded back to the mark....

36784613981_7119a37e2d_c.jpg

Insert tube, cut with a PE saw, and see if it works......

36784616471_711abc52f8_c.jpg

After a bit of fine tuning, and making sure the tube was fully inserted every time, it was actually a fairly quick process once I got going.

36784615781_7207765b28_c.jpg

24 exhausts! Not all absolutely identical, but I sorted out the longest and the shortest and put them together so the differences won't show once they're all mounted.

After that I realised that the inner engines had been mounted slightly too far back, so those were removed and positioned correctly. They have to be spot on as the middle pair of exhausts bracket the struts, and the exhausts are longer than the gap between the engine and the struts so if it's wrong, the exhausts won't fit, they'll hit the strut!

Here's hoping it's now correct. 

The next task is to finish the cooling systems, which means fabricating the 4 radiators (the ones I made earlier are too small so I'll make new ones), and the reservoir tanks and fittings.

See you soon!

Ian

• Like 10

Many thanks Johnny and P!

I spent most of today going crosseyed  - the exhausts were fitted!

I made up a simple little jig to keep them level and held that in place with a piece of blu-tack while I attached each one. The trickiest part was actually trying to ensure that the cutouts at the ends were pointing the same way!

36130527804_37c767a2fd_c.jpg

One done...

36569068040_70efc352b5_c.jpg

I left each one for about 30 minutes before sliding the jig out and starting the next one, which gave my eyes a bit of a rest too!

Two down...

36130525474_5faf373c18_c.jpg

36130530624_05c92927e9_c.jpg

I'm pretty happy with that, so on to the second wing....

36569071060_cff1fa04b7_c.jpg

All done! I want to give each of them a little shot of thin CA to ensure they're secure before trying to paint them, but my bottle has thickened up too much so I need to go and get some more.

The last job for today was cutting some blanks for the radiators out of 1mm sheet.

36156885403_86c01b82f7_c.jpg

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do about getting a decent radiator "look" to them...cladding with brass rod is one option but is very tedious....

Any suggestions?

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 7

Very good to see this being tackled again Ian. The exhaust pipes look superb; a very nice method described there using the jigs.

I feel that they will be eager to be knocked off/snagged on a cardigan sleeve, that the carpet monster has one eye quite wide open....

Looking forward to the next instalment; it's a beautiful aircraft.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Wow wow wow, Ian is back on the game !

Good to see you back at this huge project !

I paid a visit from time to time, very good idea, engines look pretty right !

Thank for sharing !

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp