F-22 1:32 (no, not Testors!)

Artoor_K

Hello!

I'd like to start first WIP here.

Few years ago (2007 as far as I'm concerned) I build 1:32 YF-22 by Testors. It was one of my first 1:32 models. I modified it as I could but result wasn't so good. Lack of skill was visible. This time I try to do it better.

As far as I love F-22 I could not force myself to convert Testors YF-22 into F-22. I know that's possible, I've seen converted models but amount of job was scaring me.

Few weeks ago while reading G.I. Joe forum I stumbled on interesting info, that True Heroes F-22 is almost parfect 1:32. I quickly scanned website, if it's available in Cracow's Toys'r'Us. Of course, it was. I checked lenght and span and surprise! It's really 1:32. Because it was Christmas Sale the price was really low. And now it's time to convert a toy into model!

3907487182_1a559ccbc6_o_1252646187_zps5e

Mine F-22 is basically the same but desert yellow/gren camo instead of gray/dark gray

DSCN7525_zpse2b7958f.jpg

First of all - canopy. It was too big. According to scale drawings I cut it in proper places. Canopy now has right shape. Cut-off parts were glued to fuselage as a cockpit sidewalls

DSCN7526_zpsf2ef3867.jpg

Cockpit (not finished yet) was scratchbuild using paper F-22 model as a basic pattern

DSCN7522_zpsd2674487.jpg

Instrument panel was done using same method as cockpit

DSCN7523_zpsc50ea4b3.jpg

• Like 7

This'll be great.. Especially based on some of your other works.

I had no idea there was even a toy of the F22 this size. I'm interested to see how you go with the rear of the canopy where the toy hinge was.

Wow!

what a project!!

What do you plan for the engraved lines?

Have fun!

I think I will

tumblr_inline_n6rkuqZUnJ1rwsm05_zpsxtjk4

:D

But seriously, I have such a tool:

57477-1800-23ww-l_zpsbaae179a.jpg

I will scribe them to make them more thin.

This'll be great.. Especially based on some of your other works.

I had no idea there was even a toy of the F22 this size. I'm interested to see how you go with the rear of the canopy where the toy hinge was.

I will seal this hole from below. The canopy probably will be movable. I don't decided yet. Maybe I'll make new, more proper hinge?

Hello!

DSCN7565_zpsc586de06.jpg

It's finally snow in Cracow. Temperature around -2o C and almost no clouds. Nice day at least.

Today I've destr...errrr... disassembled F-22 so now I can begin detailing of internal areas. I've scartchbuild weapon bays...

DSCN7553_zps73d436d4.jpg
DSCN7551_zps28a6745f.jpg

...and sealed unnessesary holes in gear wells.

DSCN7550_zps0f73be9c.jpg

I've found photo of Aires front gear well for Academy F-22 and realized that it's very simple. I've detailed front well using cooper wire and styrene:

DSCN7555_zpscd3a5406.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot :)

Yesterday I've started detailing wells and bays.

This was a nightmare, because after finishing I realized that I made huge mistake. There are only about 13 of these "stripes" in F-22 bay. I made much more, TOO MUCH!

DSCN7640_zps4f9b5b8a.jpg

In wheel bays there are only basic details by now:

DSCN7634_zpsf48041c9.jpg
DSCN7633_zps43cc1382.jpg

• Like 1

Hello,

I forgot how weak I am whet it comes to wiring. I always have problems with glueing wires etc. I'm not a detail/rivet counter but I see that bays below are somehow...empty. Maybe I'll try to make more wires in different sizes. Additional details are parts of some computer plugs.

DSCN7682_zpsfd9ed59a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I have a problem so I have a question. Do you know a company where I can order 1/32 decals for F-22? I wrote an email to Twobobs but they answered that they don't do such custom decal sheets. Maybe you know any company that can do it? I have no chance to design it by myself and I don't have a printer so "do-it-yourself" option is unavailable :)