Airfix re-issuing Maserati Indy

rs2man

Just looked at the Airfix 2015 programme & was utterly delighted to see that they will be re-issuing the 1/32 Maserati Indy . One of my favourites from their range , so I'll DEFINITELY be buying one when it comes out .

• Like 4

Ditto Roy

I'll take both the Maserati and the Fort GT, thank you very much

(But I do wish they would stop only releasing them as starter sets - its an excuse to get few quid extra for some (generally) unwanted paints (and who uses tube glue these days?- it'd be enough to put people off modelling for good).

Edited by sennapod

• 10 months later...

I heard from someone who spoke to Airfix at Telford was that Masserati wanted a guaranteed minimum number of kits produced, which was far greater than what Airfix thought they could sell.

I luckily managed to get one on evilbay for sensible price a couple of years ago.

Oh great, another blow for us car builders, never mind we can all look forward to all the new tools & re-releases of vehicles announced today instead! :shrug:

Mac

Yes - I'm really excited too about the re-issue (actually, was it ever dropped) of the really dreadful lovely OLD aston DB5......

Roy.

In the case of Airfix, there AREN'T any old 1/24 cars. They only ever made the James Bond Aston Martin, later retooled into a DB6, and the You Only Live Twice Toyota 2000GT, later retooled into a hardtop, which was more like the real thing. Both of those moulds are long-vanished. Some of other 1/24 cars in Airfix boxes were Heller. This is good news, because the relaunched Heller IS re-releasing them steadily, classic cars first. Write to them if you want some of their fantastic racing/rally cars back. They can also often be found in "Union" boxes on eBay. The rest were a mish-mash of Eidei and other Japanese kits in Airfix boxes. Most of them were originally motorised in their Japanese version, so there are all kinds of compromises and simplifications under the skin. Airfix has never had the tooling for these, and many of them have been superseded by more up to date kits. Still if you want a Pantera or Maserati Bora, it's probably the only way to get one, but I doubt any Japanese maker is going to re-issue them (in fact, who KNOWS where those tools are now...?)

bestest,

M.

They couldn't get a licencing deal from Fiat.

Sadly, it's now been dropped.

Roy.

As far as I can recall , the kit has no badging on it anywhere saying either Maserati or Indy , so could they not do what Tamiya did with their 1/48 Jeep & Opel Blitz and market it as something like "1970s Sports Car" , not making any mention of it being a Maserati ?

As far as I can recall , the kit has no badging on it anywhere saying either Maserati or Indy , so could they not do what Tamiya did with their 1/48 Jeep & Opel Blitz and market it as something like "1970s Sports Car" , not making any mention of it being a Maserati ?

I doubt Hornby would consider that.

They have massive licensing deals with all the major manufacturers for Scalextric.

Fiat also 'own' Ferrari rember.

They certainly won't go rocking any boats by being devious.

Shame though - I really fancied that little kit.

Roy.

Shame though - I really fancied that little kit.

Roy.

Me too . I built one back in the late 70s , which I still have , and have wanted another for many years . Looks like Plan B , ie a dose of paintstripper & another repaint - it got repainted from gold to metallic blue back in the late 80s .