1/72 - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.X early and late by Airfix - released - Mk.IIF conversion set by CMK

Homebee

They were listening

Que the decal manufactures going into overdrive

Rodders

:wow::goodjob:

I am quite excited about this one. Re decals, I have the Avaieology set to use for this one. Some nice weathered WW2 RCAF ones!!

Colour me rather chuffed!

I have already had a chat with my LMS owner. If he can give me a small (non-internet scale) type discount, I'll have 5!

regards,

Martin

Long overdue upgrade for the Airfix range. The Beaufighter was for many years one of their 'staples' and I'm really surprised it has taken them so long to do a re-tool….arguably this subject is probably more popular than the Blenheim although I recognize there was another mainstream kit of the former from Hasegawa (albeit currently difficult to source) whilst the Blenheim has been largely ignored apart from the mixed-media Ltd Edn kit from MPM. Nevertheless, good to see a state-of-the-art Beaufighter kit alongside other staple UK subjects in the Airfix range for 2015 and to be accompanied by the Defiant and Ju-87B-2 amongst others.

Is there really a 'smooth strake' on the front part of the wing between the fuselage and both engines of the Beaufighter?Never seen it before!

Tend to agree with you there…..in fact there are a few other 'lumps and bumps' on the CAD drawing that are hitherto unfamiliar aspects of the Beaufighter airframe (to me, at any rate) but I will not jump to conclusions at this very early stage and will leave it to those good folks at Airfix to come up with the goods in due course……as they have done, so marvelously over recent months...

Is there really a 'smooth strake' on the front part of the wing between the fuselage and both engines of the Beaufighter?Never seen it before!

What strake are you talking about, I can't see a strake - are you talking about that fairing on the upper wing between the engine and fuselage?

If that's what you're on about then no I haven't seen that before either and I've just Googled some images of the Beau and can't see it on those either, however, I daresay they were on the aircraft Airfix surveyed for this model, interesting :hmmm:

Edited by Wez

Oh-ho! I can already see some problems:

1) The cowlings have a much greater diameter than the FROG's,

2) The tailplanes are much longer than the Matchbox's,

3) There appears to be interior detail, unlike Airfix's earlier version,

4) It retails for much less than Hasegawa's.

Unbuildable rubbish, I say . . .

regards,

Martin

• Like 10

Oh-ho! I can already see some problems:

1) The cowlings have a much greater diameter than the FROG's,

2) The tailplanes are much longer than the Matchbox's,

3) There appears to be interior detail, unlike Airfix's earlier version,

4) It retails for much less than Hasegawa's.

Unbuildable rubbish, I say . . .

regards,

Martin

No I can't wait for this one - this is my top kit of the new releases (followed by the 1/48th Hurricane and the 1/72nd Wildcat).

and i get in....if you enlarge the shot you can see the fairings.

Thanks for that I can see that now, definitely a fairing there.

Nice!. I'm surprised they haven't done a Mk1 first though seeing as neither Tamiya or Hasegawa have done one for some inexplicable reason.

If they'd done that people would ask why not the Mk.X? The Mk.X makes more sense as it was produced in greater numbers, was in service for longer and has the greater options for colour schemes - therefore more sales opportunities.

I'm pleased with what I've seen, the basic rendering has the short fin without fillet and the original short nose - much easier to turn into a Mk.VIf if I felt so inclined. Bravo Airfix I say!

Just goes to show, they won't please us all.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 3

What strake are you talking about, I can't see a strake - are you talking about that fairing on the upper wing between the engine and fuselage?

If that's what you're on about then no I haven't seen that before either and I've just Googled some images of the Beau and can't see it on those either, however, I daresay they were on the aircraft Airfix surveyed for this model, interesting :hmmm:

And if we don't need 'em, I have some wet and dry and I'm not afraid to use it! :fool:

• Like 1

There is something on the Hendon one which is probably the one Airfix measured.

BF8%20Hendon.JPG

The Mk.X makes more sense as it was produced in greater numbers, was in service for longer and has the greater options for colour schemes

I hope they produce it with exactly the same markings as the classic Airfix kit. Can you imagine the sense of nostalgia we'll have building it?

Edited by Enzo Matrix

I hope they produce it with exactly the same markings as the classic Airfix kit. Can you imagine the sense of nostalgia we'll have building it?

Dunno Enzo, it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long ago I can't remember what hey were.

• Like 1