1/72 - Bristol Beaufighter Mk.X early and late by Airfix - released - Mk.IIF conversion set by CMK

Homebee

And if we don't need 'em, I have some wet and dry and I'm not afraid to use it! :fool:

There is something on the Hendon one which is probably the one Airfix measured.

BF8%20Hendon.JPG

Aah, but they're there, there's definitely a fairing, not a strake on the wing - no need for the wet and dry.

Dunno Enzo, it was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long ago I can't remember what hey were.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946594-a-brace-of-beaufighters/

Here to help! :lol:

• Like 1

This is the release I've been waiting for. The original kit was the first ever model I built over 25 years ago. I did a rubbish job of a terrible kit but I was so proud of it that I never looked back.

Its probably impossible to quantify the effect that model had on my life. My passions for modelling, aviation, photography and my career in the defence industry all have their roots in that model.

When I think of all the model shows and airshows my Dad and I attend over the years I can imagine life without it.

All hail the rebirth of MIKE BRAVO TANGO!!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for that I can see that now, definitely a fairing there.

If they'd done that people would ask why not the Mk.X? The Mk.X makes more sense as it was produced in greater numbers, was in service for longer and has the greater options for colour schemes - therefore more sales opportunities.

I'm pleased with what I've seen, the basic rendering has the short fin without fillet and the original short nose - much easier to turn into a Mk.VIf if I felt so inclined. Bravo Airfix I say!

Just goes to show, they won't please us all.

I hope they do a Mk1 fairly soon though and we don't have to wait for years like Tamiya and Hasegawa (with no sign of it happening even though many of the parts are already tooled up)

Hi

there maybe a few odd bits on it if they scanned hendons beaufighter, as it was made from a collection of parts

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/74-A-13-Beaufighter-X-RD253.pdf

but none the less very welcome, I just need a decent beaufort now

cheers

jerry

Very much like JE5TAR, the old Airfix Beau was my introduction to scale modelling and the very first kit that my dad built for me around 1975 - he didn't do a bad job of it either, considering it was his first kit too! But, yes, definitely in need of retooling now - in fact, long before now...

I might have some reference material laying around :)

_4023103_zps3ac675f8.jpg

Thanks for the picture of the Duxford Beau. The last time i saw it was 2007. Looks good.

The bits you need are available in a Quickboost resin set.

I dropped the relevant bits from the Hasegawa TF.X into rubber - I had one and wanted a few others but could only get the standard boxing. Never did get round to building them.

Hasegawa did release a mk 1 Beaufighter as a nightfighter. I've got one somewhere.

What strake are you talking about, I can't see a strake - are you talking about that fairing on the upper wing between the engine and fuselage?

If that's what you're on about then no I haven't seen that before either and I've just Googled some images of the Beau and can't see it on those either, however, I daresay they were on the aircraft Airfix surveyed for this model, interesting :hmmm:

Ah,that's what they called it,'fairing'.Yes,that is what I meant.Thanks for correcting me.

Thanks for the picture of the Duxford Beau. The last time i saw it was 2007. Looks good.

Duxford???

That my friend is A8-186 currently residing with the Camden Museum of Aviation

at Narrellan NSW Australia

Bloomin' show off!

Whats your point? :evil_laugh:

• Like 4

Duxford???

That my friend is A8-186 currently residing with the Camden Museum of Aviation

at Narrellan NSW Australia

Whats your point? :evil_laugh:

Nothing more than the green eyed monster of jealousy rearing its ugly head.

• Like 1

Ah,that's what they called it,'fairing'.Yes,that is what I meant.Thanks for correcting me.

Sorry, I'm an aircraft engineer you see so I'm inclined to be a bit pedantic about that sort of thing, it wasn;t meant to be a rebuke or anything.

For the record strakes are used to straighten airflow, fairings are used to cover something or provide a smooth transition from one piece of structure to another.

Wez

• Like 2

:yahoo::analintruder::thumbsup::clap::frantic::cheers::fool::lol::D

Yippeeee!!!

Seeing as I live only a few mins away from where the Beaufighter was built and I'm at uni right near Filton (where Bristol designed the Beau and built the engines), I will HAVE to have one of these :)

Deep breaths...

Ben

Edited by wellsprop

Fed up again..... Over the past 12 months I've hunted down 2 hasegawa beaufighters! Now Air fix do it again to me, as with the shack........ They are cruel people! :-) but god bless there cotton socks! Making Air fix great again!

I thank you........

Mark

• Like 2

I'm not the worlds biggest Beaufighter fan, BUT the Beaufighter was perhaps the kit which I was hoping for the most from Airfix. The Beaufighter was a really important aircraft having being used in so many roles in so many theatres, this was a kit that absolutely had to be made, let there be no doubt about that. I hope to see many more versions released in the future. I am guessing the dogfight double will be a Black Friday Norwegian themed battle, perhaps the lone Beaufighter kit will have different markings to the one in the double?

Incidentally the kit I most wanted to see Airfix release was the Whitley, but unlike the Beaufighter I just didn't think that was a realistic expectation.

Edited by old thumper
  • Like 1