1/72 - Avro Shackleton MR.2 and AEW.2 by Airfix - MR.2 & AEW.2 released - MR.1/1A & T.4 conv. sets by AlleyCat

Homebee

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Could you expand a little on what these are, please?

Without  going over too much old ground, the nose shapes are more MR3 than Mk 2, meaning you get a fatter nose in profile and the cross section further back is wrong too. The sides slope too much, meaning the ‘flat’ of the roof isn’t wide enough. 

I

As I can't see any "inaccuracies" just by looking at the Revell kit, it's good enough for me. I wouldn't buy the Airfix kit ( not that I need to)  of the AEW2 largely because of the appalling fit problems I had with the original kit. It had to beaten into submission😠 ! As for the interior if the Airfix kit?. Largely redundant in my view and everything aft of the cockpit went into the bin. If Revell were to produce an MR version, I'd buy that in preference to Airfix. Likely to be a lot cheaper and, based on my experience with the AEW 2, a much more enjoyable build. All down to choice of course and what one expects from a model.I prefer the simpler approach Revell took with their kit.

Allan  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

I can’t get past the shape inaccuracies in the Revell fuselage

The inaccuracies stories have proven to be inaccurate, especially the MR.3 nose profile business.

The Revell kit is actually very accurate compared to plans, I have chopped off the Airfix MR.2 nose and taped it to the Revell nose and there is hardly any difference In depth at all.

Both plans, and the Frog MR.3 have a far deeper nose profile.

The advantage of the Airfix MR.2 kit is the AEW interior, so it would seem odd not to have it in the AEW box.

Edited by 71chally
awful spelling
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

Has anyone produced a rivet kit for the Shack? After all it was known as "200,000 rivets flying in close formation" 

56 minutes ago, Jo NZ said:

Has anyone produced a rivet kit for the Shack? After all it was known as "200,000 rivets flying in close formation" :D

And how long would it be before the rivet counters complained that the number of rivets provided was inaccurate, the shape was wrong  and the rivet kit was fatally flawed and unusable ?😉😁😁

Allan    

For me the biggest issue with the Revell kit are that the rivets are about 1/32 scale, they apeear much too big.

You won't recognize rivets on the real AC unless you get close which means that you have be as close as a few cm in 1/72.

Often people don't have senses that are needed to assess proportions obviously.

What is the use of details that are by far to pronounced only that they are there ?

I will buy the new Airfix cause the shapes and proportions are just right.

Also I find it a tad disrespectful that so many posts keep on putting down Airfix and  praising Revell here as as the title says this is a thread about the Airfix kit and not about Revell.

But just don't mention the war, hahaha ...

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

The inaccuracies stories have proven to be inaccurate, especially the MR.3 nose profile business.

The Reveal kit is actually very accurate compared to plans, I have chopped of the Airfix MR 2 nose and taped it  to the Reveal nose and there is hardly any difference In depth at all.

Both plans and the Frog MR.3 have a far deeper nose profile.

My view is, that some on this forum and other fora had it 'in' for the Revell Shackelton kit before they had styrene in hand, for no other reason than sour grapes. Unfortunatley some of that mud has stuck.

Thomo.

• Like 2

All I wish to add is that I was extremely happy to receive the Revell Shackleton as a gift from my sister last Christmas, to me it looks a great kit and I am slowly building it up in between other kits.  For me also I am always happy to read about and build kits I have seen on this forum.

So come on everybody enjoy the build, it's great times for us modelers !!

Edited by Colin1967
Can't spell

10 minutes ago, gunpowder17 said:

I picked up the AEW kit today. Its really nice. Airfix seem to have molded it in their harder darker plastic like the Victor. Maybe because of that the fit may be better?

Take a look at the lower right corner of the box, that will tell you why the plastics the darker type  

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/modelling-heaven-at-scale-modelworld-2017/

Growling over the oceans

Y_New_Airfix_Avro_Shackleton_AEW2_Dougal

Staying with a maritime aviation theme, our 1/72nd scale kit range is about to benefit from the release of an impressive and much anticipated new model, in the form of A11005 Avro Shackleton AEW.2, the final version of this mighty patrol aircraft to see RAF service. Tracing its illustrious heritage back to the famous Lancaster of the Second World War, the Shackleton was the last of the mighty Avro piston powered four engined aircraft and provided the Royal Air Force with an effective long-range maritime solution for 40 years, illustrating the strength and reliability of the aircraft’s design. Obviously remaining in service much longer than its illustrious wartime predecessor, the Shackleton entered service in 1951 as a maritime patrol aircraft, charged with locating and potentially destroying hostile submarines, however its final years of service would be as a result of a decision to withdraw HMS Ark Royal from service.

Z_New_Airfix_Avro_Shackleton_AEW2_Dougal

Avro Shackleton AEW.2 A11005 is a magnificent representation of this distinctive aeroplane

ZA_Exclusive_Airfix_Avro_Shackleton_AEW2

As the British government issued plans of their intention to scrap HMS Ark Royal, the Royal Navy were concerned that their ships would lose the vital airborne early warning support provided by the ships compliment of Fairey Gannets, which was clearly not going to be acceptable. The solution was to install the radar units previously used by the Gannets onto the airframe of the trusty Avro Shackletons of the Royal Air Force and whilst these were clearly going to be land based aircraft, the impressive endurance of the Shackleton would greatly enhance the effectiveness of the navy’s airborne early warning capabilities.

ZB_Exclusive_Airfix_Avro_Shackleton_AEW2

The stunning Shackleton AEW is due to be released in the next few weeks

ZC_Exclusive_Airfix_Avro_Shackleton_AEW2

ZD_Exclusive_Airfix_Avro_Shackleton_AEW2

Twelve Shackleton airframes were converted to AEW Mk.2 standard and operated in the colours of No.8 Squadron, originally from RAF Kinloss in early 1972. Following the completion of significant runway strengthening works at nearby RAF Lossiemouth, the Shackletons moved to Lossiemouth in August 1973, where they remained until the unit finally disbanded in 1991. One particularly enduring feature of Britain’s AEW.2 Shackletons was the fact that each of the twelve aircraft was given a name after characters from children's TV series of the day, either from ‘The Magic Roundabout’, or ‘The Herbs’ – the aircraft would also feature artwork depicting their respective character, usually applied under the cockpit window. Significantly, these stop-gap aircraft would go on to provide Britain with almost 19 years of effective airborne early warning cover, with the final Shackletons retiring in June 1991 – not bad for an aircraft considered a temporary solution to a significant problem.

ZE_Exclusive_Airfix_Avro_Shackleton_AEW2

Anyone fortunate enough to have seen (and heard) a Shackleton flying during one of its final air display seasons will certainly have fond memories of this mighty aircraft, which could count the famous Lancaster as one of its illustrious forebears and earned an enviable service record in its own right. A welcome addition to the Airfix range, the AEW.2 version of the aircraft is due for imminent release, with a built sample model attracting plenty of admiring glances over the Telford weekend. We are also pleased to share this selection of fantastic build images with our readers, featuring Avro Shackleton WR960 ‘Dougal’, which currently resides in the Manchester Air and Space Museum.

V.P.

I had mine delivered today and i must say i am a happy camper...

The radar station is still there but no doors and torpedoes for the MR2!

The radome  is shaped better in my opinion then the Revell one but they missed the flat spot on the underside!!!

Having built three radomes this year for the AEW  being the first a heavily converted Aeroclub item which is in my opinion heavily underscaled and wrong in shape, the Revell one is also wrongly shaped in being to round when seen from the underside and the side view looks reasonable  ..

The Airfix radome has a good shape in general the only thing they missed is the flat spot beneath the radome which distort the side view.

Nevertheles this is a small thing to correct which i allready did and i will post a few pics of this comparison in this post...

Whatever kit you built Airfix or Revell they both have their discrepancies and it is to the modeller what you prefer to tackle and they both will built into nice looking models when you are not rivet counting:S

37800675865_cfb2dd33d6_b.jpgbult 123 3

38656242282_cf45363a96_b.jpgbult 123 2

37800675955_54ca63761d_b.jpgbult 123 1

38656242312_aedf3af051.jpgShack radome 1

37800676055_030605508f_b.jpgbult 11

37800676105_37e9d26ff3_b.jpgbult revell 22

the pictures above are a portion of my findings as I said before built whatever you want as they are both good kits in the basis..

just needed to show people what I already told before about my idea of the shape of the radomes..

One funny thing to add is that the plastic used on the Airfix Shack is of exactly the same color and hardness as the Revell one....

Cheers, Jan

Edited by janneman36
info added
  • Like 6

New AlleyCat conversion sets

Source: https://www.facebook.com/AlleyCatModels/posts/937841836416345

(...) There has also at last been a decal delivery that has been a touch delayed, so at last we have the promised Shackleton MR1/1A and T4 conversions available. (...)

- ref. AC72046CMOTU - Avro Shackleton T.Mk.4 MOTU

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/avro-shackleton-mr11a-conversion-early-schemes-6617-p.asp

43614938.jpg

- ref. AC72047GREY - Avro Shackleton MR.Mk.1/1A grey

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/avro-shackleton-mr11a-conversion-later-schemes-6618-p.asp

43476379.jpg

- ref. AC72047WHITE - Avro Shackleton MR.Mk.1/1A white 

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/avro-shackleton-mr11a-conversion-early-schemes-6617-p.asp

43519261.jpg

Also quoted in the A2Zee homepage

-ref. AC72046C - Avro Shackleton T4 Conversion 'Zebedee'

https://www.alleycatmodels.co.uk/avro-shackleton-t4-conversion-zebedee-6584-p.asp

Zebedee.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1