1/72 - Avro Shackleton MR.2 and AEW.2 by Airfix - MR.2 & AEW.2 released - MR.1/1A & T.4 conv. sets by AlleyCat

Homebee

Rather pleasing! I bet that has made many on here get all excited! The Wildcat with the Japanese 'Nate' in a DFD is interesting. New tool Nate from Airfix?

Look forward to the Wildcat however. But Not much else that we didn't know about though.....yet!

That's "Kate" not "Nate"

Hopefully I will still be around next December so that my hands could run through every sprues of the Shackleton and feel the lovely

curves of each parts.Can't figure out how many years I hv been waiting for it to appear but as least it's better late than never.Now....i want to dream about a Lincoln by Airfix!

• Like 2

Wow...and the Sea King HC Mk.4 too. Have seen what's in store for us all with a pre-order offer from Airfix and I think many are going to be pleased. A new Japanese aircraft too! What a year to come...well done Airfix. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If the plastic lives up to the CAD drawings this is indeed a dream come true. I may be a bit odd in this respect (and in quite a few other respects, to be honest), but I'm glad they're going to issue the early MR.2 instead of the AEW.2 first. The MR.2 with the grey over white finish and the dorsal turret is my favourite version of the Shackleton. Mind you, when they come out with the AEW.2 I'll probably buy that also. And who knows, although it's not a simple conversion (they can't just use the MR.2 moulds with just an extra sprue or two), maybe they'll do the MR.3 down the road. December of next year, though; oh well, I've waited decades for a new-mould Shack, I suppose I can wait another year! Well-done indeed, Mr. Airfix!

Regards,

Jason

Edit: I just pre-ordered mine.

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Hi chaps,

Airfix have done a cracking job on this. As holders of the design rights we at the Shackleton Preservation Trust supplied the original manufacturers drawings for the project. Its the first time ANYONE has had full access to the data since the 1970's.

Regards,

Rich W

• Like 13

MR.1 Please

But happy with an MR.2.

Lots of dirty exhaust stains await...ohh err...Fnarr Fnarr

Now you know why I wouldn't re-issue my Skackleton conversion. :shutup:

John

It's the very same reason I was glad I bought your last set too ;) Mainly for the decals,white metal parts and radome (all of which I'll stick on / under the Airfix bird), but this means I can now bin the frog monstrosity that I had prepped for just in-case the rumors were hearsay.

Absolutely delighted with the interior, looks like i'll only have to scratch the galley, flare bank, tail flooring, wiring looms, bomb bay bulkhead and possibly a mid-upper blank. Thank you Mr. Airfix.

I do have my own set of interior and exterior photos (including bomb and gear bays) of WR960 if anyone requires them for an AEW.2 build. Can't post them online as it was one of the conditions of me being let on the A/C, but I can email low res copies.

WV908

Fantastic news. Even got time to work through some of the stash before starting this one!

About time you finished something, Neil! I know, I know, my Lancaster Mk.VI. And with this new Shackleton, I have another kit to add to my every-growing collection of unbuilt, half-built, and nearly-built Lancaster family kits/models!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

MR.1 Please

But happy with an MR.2.

It'll be interesting to what the part's breakdown will be. If the nose is a separate section, then the MR.1 would be a possibility.

Mike. :hmmm:

Thank you Mr Airfix

And to think I was contemplating the old Frog version in its Revell and Eastern bloc releases, roll on next Christmas

Lots of the other 1/72 are good too, pity the Phantom and Buccaneer weren't on this years list .....

It'll be interesting to what the part's breakdown will be. If the nose is a separate section, then the MR.1 would be a possibility.

Mike. :hmmm:

The nose and the tail section. The only other major difference would be the fixed tail wheel and the lack of the retractable radome. Despite the apparent differences, there really wasn't that much difference between the two marks, certainly not as much as between the MR.2 and the MR.3.

Regards,

Jason

Edit: Of course, the retractable radome on the MR.2 will have to be dealt with; I suppose a simple blanking plate that follows the panel lines might do the trick. It will indeed be interesting to see what the parts' breakdown is.

Edited by Learstang

Seaking HC.4 and now a Shack that's just begging for an AEW.2 conversion and dec's forces 8 Sqn.

2015 could be great year!

Thank you Airfix, looks like those red boxes will continue to drain the wallet again in the New Year!

Eng