Peruvian Hawker Hunter F.52

Cheers gang.

Very nice work Col.

She is certainly taking shape now, won't be long before she is in the paint booth.

Not too much more work required before we reach that stage. Hopefully early next week.

Very good progress Col. Victor does indeed look comfortable :D

He's a tight fit in there so had to put him in place before closing the fuselage. Enjoy adding a pilot to some models as they're seldom seen in everyone else's.

Looking suitably sleek Col - very nice!

Cliff

The Hunter is a nice aeroplane shape. Not that I've flown it around the room a few times in admiration of Sir Sidney Camm's work or anything of course :shutup:

Didn't realise you had a build on the go Col :)

Like the black pit work very much.

No worries Steve, you've been busy ;) , thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1

Now, where were we? Ah yes;

A couple short sections of Albion Alloys aluminium tubing glued in to represent the forward blast tubes,

20150124_130243.jpg

Then the airbrake was next. Early Hunters had a longer fairing and shorter brake petal to give the same overall length as any single seat machine from mark 6 onward but in different proportions like thus;

20150124_130638.jpg

20150124_130626.jpg[/url

Hopefully the before and after shots give you a better idea.

In order to separate the two parts I used a suitable curve and scribing tool to gently slice through the part. In this case it was the lid off a Revel airbrush bottle. Once done the fairing is glued to the kit and surrounded by tape to protect the fuselage before reshaping. Once that's done the two hinge slots are cut in and the door part with it's reshaped edge can be added. A couple of slivers of plastic to represent the hinges and drill two holes for what I think are fuel drains are into the fairing part drilled to take some stretched sprue later.

20150124_145754.jpg

• Like 7

Oops, almost forgot, here's a photo of kit and decals to brighten up the thread;

20141222_144559.jpg

A question - or two - here:

This decal sheet appears quite 'austere' in comparison to what I recall about FAP Hunters. I haven't taken a look at any related photos since... 5-6 years? But I do recall them to have been quite 'gaudy', with big unit insignias on the nose, big fin flashes (going down most of the fin), and big serials on rear fuselages.

Do I misunderstand something, or is this sheet all that Revell is packing into that box?

A question - or two - here:

This decal sheet appears quite 'austere' in comparison to what I recall about FAP Hunters. I haven't taken a look at any related photos since... 5-6 years? But I do recall them to have been quite 'gaudy', with big unit insignias on the nose, big fin flashes (going down most of the fin), and big serials on rear fuselages.

Do I misunderstand something, or is this sheet all that Revell is packing into that box?

Hello Tom thanks for taking a look in at this one.

Alas neither Revell or anyone else seem to make a decal option for a Peruvian Hunter so this one is going to take some ingenuity. The decal sheets you see are Blue Rider aftermarket items that Cliff kindly supplied and cover Peruvian Army aviation subjects of the 20s. That gives me four roundels, enough so long as there was only one on the upper wing surfaces and one on the lower surfaces, while I intend to paint the large fin flashes and use stock decal numbers from a Modeldecal for the rear fuselage and wing serials.

All the photos I've found don't show the show any evidence of the large squadron badge on the nose but are also inconclusive as to whether the aircraft feature two upper wing roundels (as with most other Hunter operators) or a single 'American style' upper and lower wing roundel matched to a serial (as with Belgian aircraft after their initial delivery). The only evidence I've found for the latter is a Peruvian modeller's Hunter T.62 so hopefully he knows the subject better than I.

K, wife's calling, so I'll be afk for some times, but I'll e-mail you some stuff when I'm back, in 2-3 hours.

That said: finding appropriate decals for anything else but roundels is likely to become 'hard', to put it mildly.

• Like 1

K, wife's calling, so I'll be afk for some times, but I'll e-mail you some stuff when I'm back, in 2-3 hours.

That said: finding appropriate decals for anything else but roundels is likely to become 'hard', to put it mildly.

Thank you Tom. Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Here's where we are after the last few days;

1422704677795.jpg

Got the mid fuselage vents changed with the aid of a template you can hopefully see made of clear plastic.

1422704784532.jpg

A pitot probe turned down from brass.

1422705001458.jpg

Added the windscreen

1422705143201.jpg

The inner wing pylons are on along with the mounting flanges made from a sliver of thin plastic.

1422705269881.jpg

Added some minor detail to the nose wheel bay as well.

1422705376780.jpg

A little tidy-up and it'll be time to spray some paint at this one.

• Like 7

Really coming along Col.

Great attention to detail, most impressive.

Looking forward to seeing some paint on!

Craig.

Truth be told I'm quite looking forward to that myself Craig. It's bloody freezing here and not the best conditions for spraying out in the garage.

lovely details there Col. I'll be asking you for advise on the Hunter STGB next year

Ask away Aaron. Got a pile of references close to the bench so will do anything I can to help.

• Like 1

you're right about the cold! Is it windy round your way too? I'm worried my garage door will get blown off again.

Aye the wind is loud in the lum but still no snow. Plenty in Aviemore this evening according to a mate who's over there for the weekend - too windy for skiing though so that's her wasted her weekend.