Peruvian Hawker Hunter F.52

Right gang, having built a number of the Revell 72nd scale Hawker Hunter kit this year I find myself starting off 2015 with the promise of more, this GB - not to mention the generosity of its creator Cliff - gives me the chance to model a Hunter F.52 used by Peru.

Starting point will be the F.6 kit and a set of suitable roundels Cliff gave me. The F.52 was basically a Mk.4 so the usual backdating will need to be done again as it was on my Swedish example. Will try to get some photos taken later in what passes for daylight at this time of year.

Edited by Col.
Wrong type designation corrected.
  • Like 3

Cant wait Col. your Hunter builds are excellent. I didn't realise you were a co-host for this GB. Does this mean I have to call you sir?

Thanks Aaron but I'd rather you didn't cheers. Any time I get called sir these days I'm either getting overcharged or made to feel old :lol:

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to learning more about Hunters (it appears that I shall be in the presence of a Master).

My knowledge is limited to what Airfix taught me in the 60s, i.e. that thay are all painted black and have a removable gun pack.

Cliff

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to learning more about Hunters (it appears that I shall be in the presence of a Master).

My knowledge is limited to what Airfix taught me in the 60s, i.e. that thay are all painted black and have a removable gun pack.

Cliff

:lol: Well hopefully I'll be able to increase the sum of your Hunter knowledge Cliff but I've nothing fancy planned for it so the gun pack will stay in place.

Cool choice. I will follow this with interest for later use on my own build of Hunter F.51 mine will be in RDAF livery

Got a Danish one in the long-term plan as well so glad to help ;)

• Like 1

Col. do you know if the Peruvians were ex-Danish Hunters? Just curious since Hawker bought back most of ours in 74 and normally the F.51 mark was exclusive marked for Danish Hunters, Always wondered where they ended their lives

• Like 1

Col. do you know if the Peruvians were ex-Danish Hunters? Just curious since Hawker bought back most of ours in 74 and normally the F.51 mark was exclusive marked for Danish Hunters, Always wondered where they ended their lives

I believe that there's a small typo: the Peruvian Hunters were identified as Mk.52, not Mk.51

If anyonce can read Spanish, there's quite a long article on the history of the Hunter in Peru on this page:

http://www.arribasiemprearriba.com/Articulos/HawkerHunter/ArticuloHH.htm

Hawker bought all the remaining Danish aircrafts with the intention of upgrading them and selling them to other users, a fate that was common to many F.4s.

I'm not sure any was really sold but parts from the Danish aircrafts were sure used to repair existing Hunters in UK service

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

:doh: Thanks for the correction Giorgio. Don't know why I typed F.51 rather than 52. Perhaps I should do both at the same time :lol:

I believe that there's a small typo: the Peruvian Hunters were identified as Mk.52, not Mk.51

If anyonce can read Spanish, there's quite a long article on the history of the Hunter in Peru on this page:

http://www.arribasiemprearriba.com/Articulos/HawkerHunter/ArticuloHH.htm

Hawker bought all the remaining Danish aircrafts with the intention of upgrading them and selling them to other users, a fate that was common to many F.4s.

I'm not sure any was really sold but parts from the Danish aircrafts were sure used to repair existing Hunters in UK service

Have already come across that article and had a read through thanks to Google Translate. The photos it contains are useful.

So far as I can tell Henrik most of the ex-Danish F.51s went to museums or technical schools with the notable exception of 418 that went on to become G-HUNT

This is going to be good and something a bit different, I can't wait for the pictures. :popcorn:

Cheers Nigel. With any luck I'll get the bench cleared of on-going projects before this GB begins and you'll no doubt see progress at the club meetings.

Oops, almost forgot, here's a photo of kit and decals to brighten up the thread;

20141222_144559.jpg

Edited by Col.
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Right gang, no pics as there's nothing of too much interest worth ahowing yet, I've made a start at last.

Glued together the four part ejector seat, the two part tail cone, then both of the five part wings. The seat sides have sink marks on the head box section as does the wing leading edges. There was also a bit o flash around the wing flaps and as is always the case both wing halves need packing up to smooth their transition to the wing tips and dogtooth parts. Thankfully the wings need plenty work to backdate them so the fit isn't critical for the F.52 Plenty glue was used as there will be a lot of modification required on the wings and tail cone but I'll take plenty photos as these progress.

• Like 2

So, here's the results of last nights progress, was up at the in-laws playing taxi so got a couple hours peace to play with bits of plastic.

Here's a pile of bits;

20150110_154717.jpg

Two wings, a tailcone, ejector seat, two home-made intake trunks.

Wings first. Cut off the dogtooth and reshaped the wingtips. Here's a before and after shot by way of illustration;

20150110_231626-1.jpg

With both reshaped I still need to fill the joint lines and also the flap cutouts that are only applicable to the FGA.9 types then add wingtip lights. Once that's done the vacformed trunking can go in.

Also got the tailcone cut down to add some tube that will let me reshape it to the earlier narrow bore Avon 100 series type;

20150111_101943.jpg

Filler on the wings and tailcone is next task then get into the cockpit. Considering if I'll put a pilot in for a change...

• Like 4

Thanks lads.

If obviously not just about a change of markings then.....

Interesting stuff :popcorn:

Cliff

There's a few small differences between the F.6 that Revell kit and earlier models that I'll work through as a friend has asked me to cover them for his own Hunter projects and this seemed the perfect opportunity.

• Like 2

Thanks Nigel, glad you are enjoying it, this evening will hopefully see me make a start to the 'pit. Wonder if Duncan is paying any heed to the changes so far?

• Like 1

What size tube did you use Col.?

11/32nd of an inch or 8.7mm. From a pack of Evergreen labelled '231' Can send you a bit if you want as there's plenty in the pack.

Thanks Col. Just checked my own stock and got a tube the same size :winkgrin:

Excellent :D So, a Danish Hunter, which decals are you going to use?