Iran (Persia): Hawker Fury (with foil how-to)

Old Man

Some more done on this. Not as much as intended, but progress nonetheless. I put in most of my recent bench time finishing up my Chinese Hawk III. In any case, wife has not had time to set up and print decals.

IMG_8643_zps6rdyhjj9.jpg

IMG_8644_zpsl5heturo.jpg

IMG_8647_zpsc8cxyo4u.jpg

Made exhaust pipes, an oil cooler, and replaced the 'chin' air-scoop with a new piece.

Exhaust pipes are bent to shape from 1.3mm rod; since they are mirror image this has to be done individually, and working on the model rather than to a plan.

The oil cooler is assembled from lengths of 2mm x 0.25mm strip, separated by little bits of 0.5mm x 0.25mm strip.

The 'chin' scoop I had made did not come down far enough; it has to reach to nearly the cowling rim, and be visible poking out under the exhausts from profile. So I snapped the first piece I made off and made this new larger one. I should not have taken dimensions for the first piece off the MMP 'Fury and Nimrod' drawings, as these are not too good for the lines of the nose. Photographs of Persian Fury machines in profile, including a couple in that monograph, are a much better guide.

The patchiness of the finish on the lower wing surface is an artifact of flash and angle, which will not be apparent once decals and clear-coatings are on.

Next will be rigging, and then the decals ought to be available....

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 5

18 hours ago, Learstang said:

This will be a unique little model when done, James - looking forward to it!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks, Jason.

It won't be completely unique: I have my earlier run at it still (in fact I've used it as a sort of 'solid reference' in this build to save time flipping through to drawings and photographs), and I have seen a couple of other tries at this on line. There is a certain charm to the radial powered Hawker types, and I am not the only modeler caught by it....

• Like 1

You're welcome, James! Yes, I rather like the radial-engined Hart variants (I've always thought of the Hart as being the bigger brother of the Fury). One of these days I need to get back to my Nisr*.

Regards,

Jason

*I'm sure James knows, but for those who don't, this was the radial-engined Iraqi Audax.

Edited by Learstang
Additional information added.

That is one I want to revisit, too. I was not aware of the 'bulge' in the side when I tried making one years ago out of an Aeroclub Demon. Still haven't figured a good way to do that bulge for the gun in combination with some decent interior work. I suppose I could just go the 'stuff the 'ole with a pilot' route, of course. I'm not sure where I have it stored, but somewhere I have a picture of a Nisr out on operations with the crew seating in its shade with a bottle of wine....

Edited by Old Man
  • Like 1

I was just thinking about the gun bulge last night, OM. I was cutting off the side panel on my Swordfish so I could turn it into a radar-equipped Mk.III, which apparently didn't have the forward gun. Instead of carefully cutting off the panel, preserving the gun bulge, I removed it by slicing it all into pieces. It was only after I'd done that did I think I might have been able to use that bulge for my Nisr. Hindsight is indeed 20/20.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

2 hours ago, Beard said:

Thank you for explaining your foil technique, very interesting, I might try it sometime (although what the wife will think of me collecting eggshells, gawd only knows).

Mine has got used to it, Sir. We have them a lot anyway. But do clean the pan....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

I was just thinking about the gun bulge last night, OM. I was cutting off the side panel on my Swordfish so I could turn it into a radar-equipped Mk.III, which apparently didn't have the forward gun. Instead of carefully cutting off the panel, preserving the gun bulge, I removed it by sliced it all into pieces. It was only after I'd done that did I think I might have been able to use that bulge for my Nisr. Hindsight is indeed 20/20.

Regards,

Jason

The Swordfish bulge would be good for the Egyptian Audax.

On the Nisr, and on the Iranian Audax and Hind, the whole fuselage in that area bulges out, in a way that doesn't catch the eye unless you know it is there. The only thing I can think of, at least given the way I work and my turn of mind, would be to cut out a portion of the fuselage piece alongside the pilot's seat, replace with thicker plastic, then blend in the outer form while routing out the inner portion, at least wide enough to slip a bit to represent the gun breech outside the fuselage frame. A lot of work, and I do not like trying to match kit pieces with scratch it I can avoid it. The AZ Model kit Swedish Hart fuselage piece has the proper bulge, but for some reason the Swedes put the gun on the starboard side, while everyone else put it on the port side, so the thing is worse than useless for a simple conversion....

I know exactly what you mean about the Swedish Hart - it would be perfect if they had put the gun on the same side as everyone else! Regarding the Swordfish gun bulge, since I already have an Egyptian Audax (Kora), I don't feel so bad about destroying it (the Swordfish gun bulge, not the Audax!). I suppose I'll build up the fuselage on my Nisr using putty - that's about the best way I can think of to reproduce the gun bulge.

Regards,

Jason

14 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I suppose I'll build up the fuselage on my Nisr using putty - that's about the best way I can think of to reproduce the gun bulge.

Jason

No fan of putty, at least not the old 'in a tube' stuff. Never matches plastic, texture is different, takes forever to dry and shrinks as it does. Can't really scribe over it or do knife work on it.

Something like Milliput might be better; I have some, though I've never actually opened and used it....

I do have some Milliput, so I'll probably use that. I agree with your comments about putty, though. I'm not a big fan, either, but sometimes there's seems to be little choice. I did a solid nose in putty on a P2V-4 conversion I did many years ago, only to have the putty shrink and crack at least a year after the model was painted and finished. Especially with large amounts of putty, as was certainly the case with my Neptune, it seems like the putty never quite cures or quits shrinking.

Regards,

Jason