Yugoslavia - 1/48 Hawker Fury

Greetings All

First off here are the box shot and reference stuff for my build

tumblr_ngxs7zTbHS1t8blhlo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_ngxs7zTbHS1t8blhlo4_1280.jpg

The plans are from the Mushroom book enlarged to 48th. The Airfix magazine dates the original release rather! But my example is in pretty good shape with NO flash at all and only a few ejector pin marks (which are rather large!!). I have some Aeroclub styrene strut material for the under carriage modifications.

I've got the Kora Decals for a Bf108 and Thanks to Glenn at Blackbird Models the Bf109 Lift Here! set (times two just in case).

The MMP book is cracking good value for money and very readable. Should be a good build, and my first EVER rigging. 3lb fishing line has been suggested so I'll see how that goes....

• Like 4

Hi,

Interesting build and an exotic subject! Is the kit really that old!!

Just one point, the Yugo Furies used a different undercarriage than that supplied in the kit, but as you have the MMP book you should have all the info you need.

:popcorn: & :drink:

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• Like 1

Hi Mitch

Thanks for the offer. I'll have a good look at the MMP plans over the Holidays and may take you up on that. Just going to look for yours now. It's a beautiful plane but it would be a braver man than me to go against Bf109s in one.

Hi Colin

Yes the underslung radiator changed as well. The undercarriage is very similar to the Gladiator and one of the styrene strut sections is very close to the Roden Gladiator u/c. So I'm hopeful.

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 1

Hi Mitch

Thanks for the offer. I'll have a good look at the MMP plans over the Holidays and may take you up on that. Just going to look for yours now. It's a beautiful plane but it would be a braver man than me to go against Bf109s in one.

Hi Colin

Yes the underslung radiator changed as well. The undercarriage is very similar to the Gladiator and one of the styrene strut sections is very close to the Roden Gladiator u/c. So I'm hopeful.

I used the main U/C from an Airfix Gladiator to build mine. I carefully examined the drawings I have of both, and I couldn't get a cigarette paper between them, so that was an easy fix. The radiator and supercharger intake are shaped and proportioned like the ones on the Hurricane, just smaller. I smash-moulded the former and scratched up the latter - easy enough in 1/72, but in 1/48 you're not going to be able to get away with as much as I did!

I shall follow with interest!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As my Lightning is stalled I've been looking over my references and the kit parts. Apparently the Fjuri II with the Kestrel XVI was 14" longer than the standard airframe. Bearing in mind Mitch's comment about what I can get away with I think that's rather a large difference.

The photos seem to show a different nose profile and I've downloaded the Russian plans which I'll get enlarged tomorrow. I hope they provide the answer.

Did you know the radio in these planes weighed 88lbs!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy Lesser Builders!!

tumblr_nhz0stUwjN1t8blhlo1_1280.jpg

Despite the silence I have got this build underway. The piccie above shows how I've enlarged the cockpit opening a bit to the front to better match photos and the drawings in the MMP book. I haven't gone quite as large as the plans show though :book: The extra width is 90% due to thinning the fuselage sides down and making the edge vertical, that plastic is thick :work: I have also filled the kit exhausts as they are too low and spaced too far apart. See HERE

That aside I have decided that the sack cloth draped over scaffold poles effect on the wings and tailplane was a tad overdone. So, in the time it took Space X to get their craft to orbit and a dent or two in their barge I sanded the one wing smooth, thinned the trailing edge and filled the last, deepest scallops in the surface :yikes: This afternoon while listening to my team lose I did the other wing and tailplane then added a chunk of plastic card to the tail as it broke away due to another flaw in the plastic :fuyou_2: Having read several threads here on BM I have scrounged some aluminum tape to replace the rib detail with. I intend to feather the edges in with a pointy stick rather than try and sand strips of masking tape. The extra tape will find a home on my Lightning :thumbsup:

Coming next time; Internet trawling raises questions about the lower wing position! Does the fuselage get the same treatment as the wings? Can the Big Lad navigate conflicting information to build a decent model? (First rocks avoided HERE with huge Thanks to John Aero - Keeper of the Sacred Information :worthy: )

• Like 1

Nice to see some progress pics, I thought about reducing the fabric effect on my Nimrod conversion, but am avoiding it at present, although this may change once I start to sand back the filler I've put in the injector marks.

I note your using one of the latest releases of the kit, I have to admit I was taken aback when I compared the latest kid moulding to the older issue I have, the amount of moulding flash and also the hole for the tailplane struts just in front of the rudder post, it's not even just thinly flashed over, it just doesn't exist any more.

Looking forward to seeing more and comparing notes.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of a disaster has occurred with this build. While stripping paint from another part-built for Actung Panzer GB I got some stripper on the Fury where it engaged in a battle with the thinned down cockpit sides.

However fortune has smiled on me and repairs are well in hand. I hope to resume by the end of the week.

I was rather silly and used gloves with the stripper then splashed a glob onto the Fury as I took them off. Still better than my skin dissolving I suppose....

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You for your kind words Cliff.

I have just tested the afflicted area and it seems that success is imminent. I'll give it a day or so to be sure then try and work on the repaired area again. In the meantime I shall turn my attention to the cockpit insert now I believe I have a fuselage to put it in!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know that no progress pics have been posted for a while for which I apologise. However after my stripper accident mentioned above it's taken a while for the repairs to set solid. I have been able to resume this today and intend to get a solid week in to get her back on schedule. I have finally found the Roden Gladiator that is supplying the pattern for the under carriage as well!

As soon as there's visible progress photographs will be forth coming.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Best laid plans and all that.... :weep:

Actually resumed work on this little beast this afternoon. Started the cockpit detailing and experimenting with silver foil tape for the wing ribs. That seems to be promising. I really need to pull my finger out now to avoid disappointing myself and all you other GBers :bobby:

• Like 2

Hope you are able to get some time to work on this one as I personally would like to see it coming together. The Fury is a lovely machine and the Yugoslavian version is a rare model.

• Like 1

I want to see it built as well! Life has been conspiring against me over the last few weeks :shrug:

EDIT: Re-started again HERE This time will be different and I'll finish something, the first of many from the Mountain of Doom.

• Like 1

I want to see it built as well! Life has been conspiring against me over the last few weeks :shrug:

Alas I know how it is SS as I'm in a similar situation. The Peruvian Hunter hasn't gone much further over this last few weeks :(

Hopefully things come good for you.

• Like 1

Funnily enough my Hawker Nimrod build ground to a halt over the last few weeks too, mostly down to preparations for our family trip to Paris last week.

I finally got some modelling time on Bank Holiday Monday, but nothing worth updating the WIP thread over, I'll hopefully have an update soon.

• Like 1