1/72 - Polikarpov UTI-4 & UTI-4 t15B by Amodel - released

Homebee

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This looks like an old Amodel kit appart from the fact that the plastic is grey. Regression.

Sorry, Laurent, but this kit is entirely new - compare the images above with the ones here:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2000/february/first-looks/amodel_uti4.htm

The original Amodel UTI-4 was kit No. 7231, and shared parts with the Amodel I-16 (kit No. 7207, although reissued in different versions with different numbers).

The new kit has some accuracy problems - I hate to say it, but in some ways, the original one was actually better. I know this because I've used the wings from the new one to convert an ICM type 28 to a type 5... :banghead:

John

• 6 months later...

John,

What, specifically, are those accuracy problems?

Thanks,

Madoc

The new kit has some accuracy problems - I hate to say it, but in some ways, the original one was actually better. I know this because I've used the wings from the new one to convert an ICM type 28 to a type 5... :banghead:

John

Hi Madoc! It's been a while, but as I recall the more obvious things which I disliked about the kit were the exhausts which appear to be incorrectly located on the sides of the cowling and the deep belly under the wing centre section. This makes it very difficult to adapt the wings (which are good otherwise) to the ICM I-16 in order to make a type 5. I did it, but it required a lot of grinding and bending of the plastic in this area to make it match the shape of the ICM fuselage. There may be other detail issues (I seem to remember that the undercarriage was kind of crude) but those two are the main ones, in my humble opinion.

John

John,

Thanks for replying.

So, if I wanted to make a 1/72 - Polikarpov UTI-4 - what's the best option then?

I'm not certain, since I don't own the earlier Amodel UTI-4 kit from about 20 years ago, but I think it might be better than the newer one although not as neatly molded. Or you could try doing a conversion of the Amodel type 5, I suppose. I'm sorry I can't be more help!

John