Airfix 2016

Wez

4th August 1976, the Fourth International Air Day, RAF St Mawgan.

Me, looking at a Shackleton AEW Mk 2: "Dad, what's that lump under the nose?"

Dad: "That's your mum, son".

Followed by a thump on the shoulder from Mum, who heard him.

A Shackleton for Christmas 2015, plus the relevant work to make it into an 8 Squadron AEW Mk2 in early 2016 seems good to me. Nothing like forward planning!

Edited by Steve Coombs
  • Like 2

If the Hurricane is for 2016 that means the Spitfire will be the only new 1/48 Airfix aircraft kit in 2015? That's a bit of a shame, no new 1/48 jet for the coming year either...

I'll lay money that the date of 2016 is incorrect…otherwise why announce it in 2015 release programme.

Probably because the Shatipuss is much bigger. And it's also the only game in town for an MR2. An Aeroclub conversion set would cost you £25 and a Revell/Frog/Novo/Chematic/Modelcraft/Eastern Express/Gomix/Ark MR3

Glad I sold my Aeroclub/Revell package for close on 4 times that much earlier in the year now! The fact that I'd had it donkey's years & hadn't even opened the box after it was put away I think gives me a hint that I'll be able to pass on the new Airfix one!

Anyway it's all good as I only 'need' a Defiant & Vanguard, which gives me more to save towards the new love of my life, an Atlantic Models resin 1/350th HMS Glamorgan....!! :wub::D

• Like 1

not sure if this is the right place to bring this up but can someone tell me are airfix simultaneously marketing new kits alongside the old, ie hurricanes, p-40's/kittyhawks gnats etc. i was in aldi the other day & i fancied getting some of the kits the're selling but i don't want to get lumbered with the old incarnations. can anyone help?

not sure if this is the right place to bring this up but can someone tell me are airfix simultaneously marketing new kits alongside the old, ie hurricanes, p-40's/kittyhawks gnats etc. i was in aldi the other day & i fancied getting some of the kits the're selling but i don't want to get lumbered with the old incarnations. can anyone help?

Airfix continues to release kits from almost their entire history. They are replacing the older kits quite quickly now but they do have a huge range

• Like 1

all new tool AFAIK.

• Like 1

Am nicely surprised with the announcement. Hopefully the Shackleton and Whitely will lead to a Stirling and Wellington and other heavies.

Agreed. I had hopes for a Stirling given that it's the subject of the December page in the 2014 AMW Calendar,

Car kits are re-pops but very welcome indeed.

Not a lot for 48th but quality is top notch on subjects. The Bedford truck should sell well and not long to wait.

Hurricane is all new and I'd be happy with a decent Spitfire I no matter how they do it.

Can't imagine why they've done a Beaufighter, hardly ever gets mentioned. :banghead:

That lot seems to be going down well.There are things I'd have prefered but you can't have everything. 72nd RAF Groundcrew but not with NBC kit and Snow Drop dog mishandlers would be great.

On the whole,Airfix have pulled it off,well done to them!

Well for I'm quite happy with the Beaufighter, Wildcat, Beaufighter, Defiant, Beaufighter, Stuka and yes the Shackleton in 1/72nd, did I mention the BEAUFIGHTER?

Well done for Airfix for the new 1/48th Hurricane and Spitfire (even if the latter turns out to be based on the recent Vb)

The Kate is interesting, might go for the Whitley too but a sub-hunter version for me.

I can see the obvious gap in the market for the Junglie Queenie but would've preferred some Cold-War jets - still, there's always next year and they're never going to please everyone all of the time but I'm well pleased.

10/10 to Airfix!

Impressive releases

The Shackleton and Whitley are definite purchases for me. And I'ts tempting me to go back to 1/72 now as my main modelling scale.

a11004-detail-2_zpsb0944d6a.jpg

Edited by 2wheels
  • Like 1

I'll lay money that the date of 2016 is incorrect…otherwise why announce it in 2015 release programme.

It is. Looking at the website now, they've corrected it to 01/03/2015.

Cheers,

Dean

• Like 3

Well, Airfix's 2015 selection seem to have broken all the rules (no extant examples, only a few built) but will no doubt triumph over the doubters.

But 'Kate'??? Not that well known, in UK at least, and a perfectly satisfactory kit ex Mania, now Hasegawa even if with fixed wings.

Well, 2016 will be the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbour and the choice becomes clearer. Expect a boxed set titled something like 'The Attackers' maybe even with a printed deck section. Perhaps preceded by another in the series containing Spitfire, Hurricane and Defiant... ?

It is. Looking at the website now, they've corrected it to 01/03/2015.

Cheers,

Dean

You heard it here first :)

Edited by chaddy

Well, to round off an Airfix day here, a new year list from Airfix wouldn't be right without a Spitfire would it. For me I'm quite happy about some of the subjects and will be buying most of them for myself.

Well, Airfix's 2015 selection seem to have broken all the rules (no extant examples, only a few built) but will no doubt triumph over the doubters.
But 'Kate'??? Not that well known, in UK at least, and a perfectly satisfactory kit ex Mania, now Hasegawa even if with fixed wings.
Well, 2016 will be the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbour and the choice becomes clearer. Expect a boxed set titled something like 'The Attackers' maybe even with a printed deck section. Perhaps preceded by another in the series containing Spitfire, Hurricane and Defiant... ?

Isn't there a Battle of Midway anniversary not long off? It would suit the Wildcat and Kate.