Sherman Firefly query.

Paul J

I won the Revell boxing of the ex Matchbox Sherman Firefly kit at the club last night. Hm, I thought., It will be a change from aeroplanes,but would like to keep it in my Canadian theme. So, my question is what do I need to know to make it a Canadian one with regard to markings, I am hoping there won't be too much surgery to do and really, I just want to build it for my satisfaction and not major competition level with tons of alterations.

Cheers.

On assumption the kit comes with at least one example of a red AoS marking, then to make it Canadian, you just need to pair it up with the maple leaf formation sign. Use the chart below, which illustrates the 2nd Canadian Armoured brigade. This unit was landed on D-Day, and spent the duration of the war in North West Europe. Note the white number on red background should have a white bar underneath it.

2-Can-Arm-Brig-Normandy.jpg

regards,

Jack

Doing a further search on decals, (since it was not too long ago these were discussed for 72nd scale), there is option for the 1st Canadian Armoured Brigade as provided by Starmer and Dan Taylor:

starmersbritcansheermanseurope%20(1).jpg

http://www.dantaylormodelworks.com/canadian-d-day-sp-artillery-285-p.asp

The latter set has no dedicated AoS numbers for armour units, but the gold/yellow maple leaf is a separate decal. So if you paint your own background colour, you open up yourself more options.

regards,

Jack

Cheers Jack. Unfortunately the kit lacked decals! However the image above is very helpful to start with so thank you. But the options in the kit were for a Coldstream outfit and one from Fife and Forfar yeomanry. so far, I haven't been able to find aftermarket decals yet. At least none at Hannants surprisingly and what they do have are hundreds for 1/35th!

Just seen the follow up reply. The link is helpful too. Will try those.

Paul

Mike Starmer doesn't have a website but you can order from him by email and PayPal. I'm pretty sure that Mike's current email address is

[email protected] and the sheet you're after is #29 'British Commonwealth and Allied Formation Signs'.
Aleran Decals also have Canadian markings in sheet UK07-D 'Commonwealth Unit Markings (Set 2) - Canadian, Indian & S.African'. You can order Aleran Decals from Milicast - http://www.milicast.com/
Cheers
David