Hunter No. 4, 263 Sqn F.5

Col.

Finally finished my fourth Hunter of the year. As per the previous 3 it's made from the Revell 72nd scale kit but this time back-dated to an F.5 Initial plan was to finish this one as a 34 Sqn machine but checked my references too late into the build and realised the one I had decals for didn't carry the link collector bulges under the cockpit so second choice was a 263 Sqn machine. Decals came from an Xtradecal sheet for F.6s suitably modified and supplemented with Modeldecal serial codes.

20141217_144111.jpg

20141217_144048.jpg

a little extra detail was added to the cockpit and undercarriage,

20141217_143642.jpg

20141217_143600.jpg

Backdating to an F.5 includes removing the wing leading edge dog-tooth, changing the mid-fuselage vents, adjusting the airbrake proportions, then reducing the tailpipe diameter,

20141217_143810.jpg

Also added the wing tip and tail fairing tip lights from clear plastic.

20141217_143512.jpg

The Hunter fascination will continue next year with at least two planned for GBs :D

Edited by Col.
  • Like 10

And very nice it is too. Do you have any photos of them all together?

The Hunter thing is catching, 10 minutes ago I ordered a whole pile of stuff for the 1/48 Academy Hunters I have with the intention of having a go at one of them next year. I'm aware there are issues with the Academy kit but I'll give it a go (might need some pointers from you though).

DB

• Like 2

And very nice it is too. Do you have any photos of them all together?

The Hunter thing is catching, 10 minutes ago I ordered a whole pile of stuff for the 1/48 Academy Hunters I have with the intention of having a go at one of them next year. I'm aware there are issues with the Academy kit but I'll give it a go (might need some pointers from you though).

DB

Thanks Duncan. No not yet but all five of my Hunter models are occupying a shelf of the display cabinet so next time daylight is available I'll try to get a half-ways decent photo of them together.

Must admit I've been looking around ebay for one of the Academy/Italeri kits but perhaps Airfix will offer up an alternative soon. Not that I've too many Hunter kits in the stash as it is of course :rolleyes: Feel free to dip into my hunter reference stash any time and of course I'll help in any way I can. What bits did you order?

• Like 1

I ordered the Aires FGA9 cockpit (which includes a bang-seat as the kit one is too small) and wheel wells, a couple of vac form canopies (as I seem to remember there is an issue with the kit's canopy), turned brass pitots and some resin wheels. I'd like to do an F4 with the F6 kit (I have both the Academy kits), getting decals for my Leuchars theme will be the interesting thing, I'm not sure if 43 or 222 Squadrons have ever been done in 1/48?

DB

• Like 1

Airlife decals have both on the same sheet fella :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151423306972?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I'm not a huge fan of the Aires Hunter 'pit given how wrong the rear section of it is but once fitted and painted black it'll likely be fine. A fat nose, intakes that aren't quite sharp enough at their apex, plus the tail planes set too far back and an overly long tail bullet fairing are the other things that come to mind but nothing insurmountable to a man of your talents.

Got a diagram showing the mid-fuselage vents for the F.4 handy if you want to get those sorted as well.

• Like 1

Doh, of course, I have the 1/72 version of that decal sheet (and now have the 1/48 on order).

I'm aware that the tailplanes need to be moved forward 3mm IIRC and the bullet shape/size altered. I had heard the canopy shape was wrong but have ordered the vac form one anyway. I'll take you up on the F4 vent drawing and any other info that you think I'll need.

I think I'll make a start on this one early in the New Year.

DB

Cheers gents.

She is a STUNNER

:worthy::wow:

You did a lovely job.... :clap2: Look forward to more HUNTERS !!!

Thank you Houston and yes there will be another one along it the LBAF GB soon :D

yet another nice Hunter Col will it make an appearance at the next club night?

Hopefully so as I'm planning to get in along with all the lovely new models I'll get for Christmas ;)

Doh, of course, I have the 1/72 version of that decal sheet (and now have the 1/48 on order).

I'm aware that the tailplanes need to be moved forward 3mm IIRC and the bullet shape/size altered. I had heard the canopy shape was wrong but have ordered the vac form one anyway. I'll take you up on the F4 vent drawing and any other info that you think I'll need.

I think I'll make a start on this one early in the New Year.

DB

Been highly tempted by the 72nd scale sheet myself but resisted so far as it'll mean I need even more Hunter kits! :rolleyes:

If you are hacking down the bullet fairing glue a bit of clear sprue to the end and that'll represent the tip light once reshaped. You thinking of this one for the John Milne Tribute GB?

• Like 1

Yes it's a possible contender for our Club GB but I do like Hunters anyway.

I only want the Leuchars markings from the 1/72 sheet, if there are any others on that sheet you want just let me know.

DB

Cool I'll enjoy seeing your progress on this one.

Thanks for the offer fella. Think there was a couple other options on the sheet that looked interesting but can't for the life of me remember which ones now.

• Like 1

Thanks gents.

Lovely Hunter Col,never built one since Matchbox,s many moons ago but got Revell,s 1/32 offering recently for a 2016 build.

Think you'll find quite a difference between the two kits Steve ;) Will watch out for your one taking shape.