EF-101 Voodoo

Jabba

I am currently making the Revell F-101B and using the Canuck decal sheet I am going to convert it into the EF-101 of the Canadian Armed Forces Ser No 101067. I have found a lot of info about the differences between this aircraft and the normal Voodoos on the web, including some interesting photos of the aircraft carrying an EW pod on the aircraft's missile tray. What I can't make out though is to which side of the missile tray this pod is fitted, be it the Genie side or the Falcon one. Does anyone here have an idea?

Also the EW pod itself. Yet again in some of the info I have found they do seem to have been used on USAF EB-57s, but what I can't make out is from what I could make this pod from. I have seen suggested that the real thing may have been converted from a travel pod. Again if anyone can help with this I will be very grateful.

I am currently making the Revell F-101B and using the Canuck decal sheet I am going to convert it into the EF-101 of the Canadian Armed Forces Ser No 101067. I have found a lot of info about the differences between this aircraft and the normal Voodoos on the web, including some interesting photos of the aircraft carrying an EW pod on the aircraft's missile tray. What I can't make out though is to which side of the missile tray this pod is fitted, be it the Genie side or the Falcon one. Does anyone here have an idea?

Also the EW pod itself. Yet again in some of the info I have found they do seem to have been used on USAF EB-57s, but what I can't make out is from what I could make this pod from. I have seen suggested that the real thing may have been converted from a travel pod. Again if anyone can help with this I will be very grateful.

My guess(only a guess mind you) is it is on the Genie side. Without the big 'L' bracket up front. the Patrick Martin book states that the door was not able to rotate on '067. Sorry, nothing on the ECM pod.

HTH

Cheers, Tony

It was loaded on the centerline of the armament door and in order to load chaff into the ALE-2, the rack it was installed on and pod rotated to clear the nose gear. The ALE-2 had a hopper that slid out and the chaff was loaded into the hopper which was then put back into the ALE-2 pod.

Jari

Thanks again. I do know what it is like not to be trusted when you have worked on a particular aircraft and give an answer that is not believed, so I do knee in humble apology for doubting you, and just not quite trusting what I was reading.

I am I correct in what I have read that the pod was made from a converted travel pod? If so does anyone know if there is a kit available that has one in it?

No need to apologize, there is a lot of inaccurate info out there. I never worked on 067, just regular Voodoos, but i watched them loading the ALE-2 and i did maintenance on the ALE-2 as we had them for the CT-133. As for them being converted from travel pods i don't think so as there was more to the pod than just a shell. I haven't seen any kit that has the ALE-2 however your best bet would be some smaller scale fuel tanks or even the smaller tanks in the Revell F-84F kit:

http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Revell/Rev_F-84F_BLw/Rev_F-84F_BLw_06.jpg

they may be close enough.

Jari

A fuel tank was something that I was going to look at if I could get the correct sizeish. Looking at the smaller ones in the photos, they do seem a bit too big, but I would not be able to tell until I got my hands on the kit. Now talking of the Revell kit I did a Google search and a search of on line model shops last night and came up with zilch. I did however find an Airfix and an Italeri one, would any of these do?

Hi There Jabba

Just been over looking on Aiircraft Resource Centre site and in the Jet Modeling part is a article on the black EF-101s.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Craig

Thanks, but a couple of weeks ago I googled EF-101Voodoo 101067 and all the info that is now on ARC came up so I printed it off and it is already in my sticky mitts.

I have started to make the modifications to the model (lumps, bumps and the such like), but from the pictures that I have and have seen I cannot determine the shape of the pylon that carries the pod on the weapon bay. Does anyone know roughly what it looks like?

Edited by Jabba

From what I remember, it’s been 30+ years since I saw 067 last, the pylon was a simple design, it couldn’t jettison the pod so no need for breeches for cartridges. Since the pylon was meant to swing to allow for loading of chaff into the pod there was a slight gap between pylon and armament door and I seem to recall two brackets, both fore and aft that held the pylon to the door. I think the rack was the same S2A rack we used on the CT-133 but it was covered up by the pylon skin. Here is another view in case you don't have it that shows a bit of the pylon:

http://www.canadianwings.com/cmsAdmin/uploads/serials/101067.png

Also since they used the Genie side the various long bumps were there as they were for the Falcon launcher extension mechanism.

Jari

A few pictures showing the modifications , including the pylon that I have made. I have not as yet made the three pods that go between the nose U/C and the weapons bay, but their mounts are there.

Misc010_zps1574334a.jpg

Misc011_zpsb32fd530.jpg

Misc012_zpsdaa02f6d.jpg

Any comment would be very useful as I am hoping to start painting this weekend.

The bevelled edge at the back bottom of the pylon should be smaller, like they just took the corner off and it has a sway brace:

http://www.airshaw.co.uk/im287.jpg

Also the antennas were at the front part of the armament door. Between the nose gear and the armament door was the door actuator and they most likely left that in place as that held the front of the armament door in place. Plus that space was very limited, only enough room to stick one arm in there, so you couldn't feed the wires in thru there.

Jari

Thanks for that. From the info that I had it did look like the antennas were between the nose U/C and the Weapons bay. Will remove them and fit correctly, and will also make up a newer pylon for the chaff pod. I am not too worried about the sway brace as I don't think that it will be seen when I finish the model.