Zombie Attack Diorama (pic heavy)

first off, im not sure if this is the right place to post this as it has figures and a bit of Armour but ultimately it's a SiFi/horror subject so I'm popping it here and hoping no one objects.

I've been wanting to do more figure based models and came across this set...

ZD005_zps92c62a1c.jpg

being a huge walking dead fan this sparked off a few ideas and i started looking for things to go with the figures. there is not a lot really.
you need to get a suitable motorbike, and they actually recommend a few kits on the figure box. i went for the most modern option...

ZD001_zps16fba46a.jpg

so now you need a setting. MiniArt do a large range of 1/35 bases so I chose one that didn't look to much like the WW2 era...

ZD004_zps6db8034c.jpg

so she needs a reason to be there and in most Zombie based situations the main things people are searching for are fuel and supplies...

ZD007B_zps72e2e11d.jpg

maybe she has her eye on a fully laden army jeep ??...

ZD007C_zpse4423f44.jpg

then i found this, which is just screaming out for a zombie apocalypse make over. and this gave me an idea for a second scene (more on that later)...

ZD007_zps60c6ff1b.jpg

back to the first scene and I'm starting on the bike and rider. wow, these things are small but so incredibly detailed...

ZD008_zps7239b4df.jpg

all the zombies go together well...

ZD012_zpsc296618f.jpg

and I can't resist making a start on the base. the base is mostly vac formed and the walls go together OK with a few internal packing pieces. I have reduced the height of the walls at a suitable point otherwise the scene will look too tall..

ZD013_zpsddcd5830.jpg

playing with the basic layout, the idea is that the army guy has been overcome, flipped out of his jeep, maybe landing on a suitably placed spike, and then mauled. the woman on the bike is then trying to get to his fuel etc...

ZD014b_zpsbe1fa7b9.jpg

one suitably loaded jeep...

ZD016_zps8fb51ac4.jpg

blocking out the colours...

ZD017_zpsc6ab7d79.jpg

been playing around with the zombie colour and the blood stains. would be so easy to get this wrong and make the whole thing look silly. I have ordered some citadel blood paint...

ZD021_zpsed68a997.jpg

ZD022_zps554f5d45.jpg

and the woman is about 95% done. she just needs her shotgun on her back and then a wash over to blend things in. amazing how the camera shows up ALL the problems. looks like I'm going to have to spend more time getting rid of seam lines...

ZD024_zps3fd20e8a.jpg

ZD023_zpse2d420cb.jpg

ZD025_zps2965e5e2.jpg

my first time on anything like this and in this scale. im enjoying it so far !!!

• Like 9

Did I sell you a 1/35th Tamiya Hum-Vee at the Hamex show the other day?

That was me Chris. I had a 'vision' of a similar scene, so I'll be watching this one as well. It looks a lot of fun!

Good choice of bike btw. I was trying to find a diecast modern bike in 1/32 to avoid the WWII types.

Cheers,

Paul

• Like 1

Great to see you doing a WIP with these.

Am also a massive fan of The walking Dead :zombie: Really like the work so far and look forward to more.

The Games Workshop 'Blood For The Blood God' paint is really good stuff. (There's a vid on how to get the best from it here

)

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

yes, thanks Steve. thats what i have on order.

glad that some other people have an interest in this subject. i notice that the box for the figures says "zombieland series", but i cant find any others. does anyone have any info ???

the second scene i have in mind with the pick up involves some of the set of figures in the photo below and a suitable base. the pick-up drivers find a Zombie child who has been feeding on his sister and its a sort of "do you shoot the child??" dilemma that has featured in the walking dead a couple of times...

zom2_zps76a80e00.jpg

Some great ideas you have for these figures. Don't think that MB have announced any further 'Zombieland' sets as of yet. They may see how the initial set sells before announcing others?

Regards,

Steve

made a bit of progress on this over the weekend but it's been hard going as i've come down with a winter bug :( !!!

decided to work on the base and try to get through one stage i was nervous about... the brickwork.

got the walls stuck down and added a fake floor inside the door using spare parts from the kit. this is where one of the zombies will be emerging from. you can see in the photos how i have cut down and topped off the walls. also done a bit of work on the large window frame but that's not in the pic. im hoping to screen all the back of this off to look like a dark interior.

brickwork looks OK. started with brick red base and added general areas of colour shades. then went back and picked out the edges of the bricks around these areas to give a natural brick look. finally dropped in a few blue bricks. no wash or weathering yet but happy so far...

ZD026_zpsb31c9cf9.jpg

ZD027_zps86eab767.jpg

starting to get more concerned about making this look more like a modern day setting and now moving away from using the army jeep on this one. thinking of bringing the pick-up in and having the driver steeling fuel as the woman provides cover. i think the jeep could confuse the "time setting" all together.

also hoping to make it look less like a destroyed building by having the rough rubble edges in black, hopefully suggesting the end of the scene rather than the end of the building ????

Edited by theanorak73

Great job on the building thus far and look forward to seeing it progress. I agree in relation to the Jeep and it possibly confusing the time line. The edges of the building should look ok black and would indeed suggest the edge of the scene.

Regards

Steve

just discovered these... the walking dead building sets and figures. a US exclusive but you can get them on E-bay for a price.

they go together a lot like lego but i can't pin down the actual size of the figures. they offer a few possibility's maybe. search them, there are lots more in the series and worth a look if you like the walking dead.

i may order one figure, just to have a look...

The-Walking-Dead-Building-Set-13_zps7ef5

twd-building-sets-feat_zps7823520a.jpg

• Like 2

made some reasonable progress with this over the last few days. busy trying to get all the elements together so i can pin down the layout, allowing me to sort out rubble etc.

the window is in, door frame is in. the uprights for the ventilation duct are stuck in place but the duct and the stairs are still loose and still need lots of work with the paint. the jeep has gone and the pick-up is in primer...

ZD029_zpsdeb7529e.jpg

ZD028_zpse99a2b1f.jpg

ZD030_zpsa37e5231.jpg

this area is going to be the fuel dump...

ZD031_zps473271fb.jpg

these two will definitely be paired up...

ZD032_zps0a55bc24.jpg

and i like the guy in the doorway...

ZD034_zpsd86b38a2.jpg

also ordered this set of figures. this will provide a driver for the pick-up and the guy with the gun could be firing over the back of the pick-up at the female cop zombie, who will be painted in the style of Rick Grimes from the walking dead.
also a possibility of doing something with the guy who looks like he's been shot...

ZD035_zps53fcd456.jpg

not managed to figure out the scale of the walking dead figures yet. they certainly offer a few possibilities if you can figure out a way to buy you ones you want. don't like these "blind bag" things. apparently the bags are marked for walkers or humans but i haven't confirmed this yet ???

a bit more done. just added some rubble, made from smashed breeze block and PVA glue, the glue is still wet...

ZD037_zps0c7e4a81.jpg

got the door on. this is screened off at the back with balsa sheet to make it look dark inside. still needs washing and weathering...

ZD039_zps60e841da.jpg

fuel drums, Jerry cans and a scratch built Siphon pump...

ZD040_zps26ba09c5.jpg

ZD038_zps30ca3aa8.jpg

• Like 1

Today's work.

Oil drums are painted and stuck down. tried to do something with the awful air ducting. this is basically a very thin vac-form part. the best i could do was to add some rough filler and try to pass it off as rust. still needs more work.

also did the warning on the wall. not sure about this, may look better after touching up and dirt washing to calm it down.

ZD041_zpsb8ec74a7.jpg

ZD042_zpsa5da80db.jpg

ZD043_zpsa24911cf.jpg

ZD044_zps8a6fac36.jpg

also painted the pick-up. a deliberately bad paint job in a light colour that will show up any dirt/blood stains !!!

ZD045_zps50b4d988.jpg

ZD046_zps7d160548.jpg

• Like 2