Airfix 1/76 Cromwell IV Tank - final update 04/07/15 - aerials added

PlaStix

Looking good already Stix.very impressed be whats in the box especially the way the tracks are moulded,might have another dip in the armour

pool next year,will be keeping an eye on this project.

Hi Steve. Thank you for stopping by and for your comments. Yes I was impressed with this little kit and at £6.99 it seems like good value. I shall look forward to seeing your next AFV project. Are you taking part in the Achtung Panzer GB at the end of January?

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Wow! I assumed for years this was one of the ancient Airfix mouldings.So are the tracks 'hard' plastic?

I'm not sure how long it's out but definitely a few years and it is a 'new tool' kit. The tracks are made from the same plastic as the rest of the kit and come pre-sagged!

Looking good sir - I picked up a couple in Aldi to have a go with

Hi Courtney. Thank you - so yours were definitely good value for you! Well done!

Good paint job ! Coming very nice along :-)

Hi Bernd. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Steve. Thank you for stopping by and for your comments. Yes I was impressed with this little kit and at £6.99 it seems like good value. I shall look forward to seeing your next AFV project. Are you taking part in the Achtung Panzer GB at the end of January?

Kind regards,

Stix

Sounds like the ideal GB for an entry Stix,it will be something 1/72 scale.

• Like 1

Hi Sean. How is your build of the Firefly going? Any chance of you posting it here on BM? I was looking at a couple of PSC kits today in a model shop and wondering what they are like.

Hi Stix, the Firefly is coming along nicely, just decals and a base to do. It'll be on BM when(?) it's finished. I've even done some weathering on it!! I'd certainly recommend buying them, 3 kits in a box, 2 options,

easy to put together, although they don't come with decals. I got decals from Dan Taylor's Modelworks, and very nice they are too.

Lovely progress on the Cromwell, I'm off to e-bay to get one!

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Stix, the Firefly is coming along nicely, just decals and a base to do. It'll be on BM when(?) it's finished. I've even done some weathering on it!! I'd certainly recommend buying them, 3 kits in a box, 2 options,

easy to put together, although they don't come with decals. I got decals from Dan Taylor's Modelworks, and very nice they are too.

Lovely progress on the Cromwell, I'm off to e-bay to get one!

Sean

Hi Sean. I shall watch out for your finished Firefly. Next time I get chance I might pick up a PSC and check out the contents!

Hope you manage to get a bargain on e-bay!

Kind regards,

Stix

I've had a bit of time to work on this over the past couple of days - nothing exciting just some initial washes and dry-brushing to start to build up the weathering effects. I started with an all over dark grey wash, followed by some targeted Anthracite washes, then a wash in some areas of Sand and finally some light rust. The wheels then received a slight dry-brushing with a lightened version of the base green colour -

Hull:

16214492472_983d9f214f_c.jpg

Turret:

15592887194_312c1f4a2f_c.jpg

16213404441_1ee771f7ef_c.jpg

Both together:

16029462387_e9668c32b3_c.jpg

Wheels:

16029176829_1d6de3d120_c.jpg

And finally the tracks - unfortunately it's a little difficult to see the wash effects on these just yet:

16214488402_e46878348b_c.jpg

Next I'm going to try and get the tires painted.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Looks good, painting the rubber parts of the wheels is for me always the hardest part, good luck.

With your precision modelling no problem, i guess :)

• Like 1

Looks good, painting the rubber parts of the wheels is for me always the hardest part, good luck.

Well Bernd, at least he is using hairy sticks so there will be no masking.

Looking good Stix.

Simon.

• Like 2

Looking good Stix.

Simon.

I have heard from those "hairy sticks" strange stuff :coolio:

• Like 1

Hi Bernd. Thank you. I've only really painted the wheels of a couple of 1/72 tanks before. I think I used the same technique I use for aircraft wheels - which is to paint the hub areas first (done) and then applying a thin wash of the tire colour that, hopefully, runs neatly around the rim before adding thinned layers of paint once the initial wash is dry. The initial thin wash usually gives quite a neat edge to the rim.

Looking good Stix.

Simon.

Hi Simon. Thank you for your comments. Yes there's very little masking because of using hairy sticks!

This is an excellent looking model, so impressed with the detail.

Hi Steve. I agree - I was very impressed when I opened the box. I think the only things, which most people agree, lets it down a little is the thickness of the light guards on the front. I have seen other modellers replace these with wire which does improve the appearance. Unfortunately, where I'm making this kit I have't got the resources to do the latter.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

I still look at your build Stix and wonder why my kit was soooo different!

I'll have to get another one, hopefully a better produced specimen.

:popcorn:

Rick.

Hi Rick. Yes it is a shame you got a duff one. I have heard of others with versions that have misaligned parts, etc. If possible it might be worth asking to look inside the box before buying another.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi guys, I found this kit a dream to build and it turned out great (there are some pics. on here somewhere of the finished item) I think from start to finish (pre-paint) the kit took less than a couple of hours to complete, with no fit issues at all.

Brian

• Like 2

Hi guys, I found this kit a dream to build and it turned out great (there are some pics. on here somewhere of the finished item) I think from start to finish (pre-paint) the kit took less than a couple of hours to complete, with no fit issues at all.

Brian

Hi Brian. Found it: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234953173-176-airfix-cromwell/and you are quite right - it does look excellent! Well done on a great looking Cromwell. If mine turns out half as good as yours I will be happy.

Kind regards,

Stix

Not had much time on this but I managed to get the tires painted and the wheels cut from the sprues:

16053078767_043ccb966c_c.jpg

Next I'll get the wheels and tracks assembled. I'll be interested to see how these go together.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 4

Looks good, i am using the same method to paint wheels with a hit and miss success.

Interesting to glue the wheels " into" the formed track

• Like 1

Looks good, i am using the same method to paint wheels with a hit and miss success.

Interesting to glue the wheels " into" the formed track

Hi Bernd. I hope your wheel painting has gone okay.

You can see below how the wheels and track go together.

Looking good so far.

Hi Courtney. Thank you.

Managed to get a little more done on this one - mostly attaching the wheels and tracks. I didn't glue the inside set of wheels - instead these are just pushed firmly into place. I had to do a little filing here and there as the fit is quite tight. Then the tracks were located in place - I didn't glue them either. The reason for this is that I figured out that the outer wheels, once glued on, would hold the tracks well enough. In fact they hold them really well. Airfix seem to have done a good job on the fit of these parts.

Some photos of how it looked with the wheels and tracks on:

15642892584_6850a872d9_c.jpg

16265310655_6717fedee4_c.jpg

16077778678_2752fe9402_c.jpg

I then fitted the four side pieces. These photos show the tank with the turret just placed in place:

16077941400_62ffba44c2_c.jpg

16239389226_065bd3bbf1_c.jpg

16077775388_ee676ee1b1_c.jpg

16239386656_1626f53850_c.jpg

Next up, when I get chance, I'll do some detailing painting.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

Looking superb Stix,love the high quality photo,s as the WIP progresses rather than my table top quick snaps,cant wait for the summer and shoot

outside,my local Aldi had a shed load of these a while back wish I,d grabbed one, still got a third P40 for the STGB!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Looks great, Stix. well done. Its good to see/read that the wheels/tracks assembly go easy together

This kits are not only for skilled modeller but also for beginners. Both had one thing in common, a moment of success is

important, this is a very tasty build here. Not expensive, just fun/plastic/color/glue :-)

Great weathering as well, love the metallic shade of the tracks

• Like 1

Hi Stix, this is coming along nicely and looking good. Those wheels look excellent.

Got mine last week, a quick look in the box, and mine seemed o.k. Hopefully that's the case when it's being built.

Sean

• Like 1