Vietnam GB Chat - *** GB Finished. ***

AnonymousDFB1

Now that I've dug that Sheridan out, I've just realised its bob-on for a Vietnam version with the appropriate decals...tempted...seen the Legend Productions stowage resin...expensive but worth it?

Yes! I have it for mine and really rate it. Saves having to try and find all the bits separately.

Sorry to stimble in on this GB but was wondering if anyone is doing anything with an AIR AMERICA theme?? Copter's, C47,C46,Caribou? Just interested.

I'm not part of the group build but am following this subject with great interest. Look forwar to seeing some finished subject"s.

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul. My build if it gets off the ground will be an Air America bird.

Any chance of getting in on this GB chaps? I've got an F-4E that's dying to be built!

Yes all welcome. Start a thread and join the fun.

Yes! I have it for mine and really rate it. Saves having to try and find all the bits separately.

Any idea where it can be bought in the UK or EU? Only seen it on eBay but imported from Aus

Any idea where it can be bought in the UK or EU? Only seen it on eBay but imported from Aus

Humm - bit unsure as I picked mine up at a Scale Modelworld about 7/8 years ago.

I would try Friendship Models as they have a lot of Legend stuff from memory - plus Ian is a top bloke!

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 2

Humm - bit unsure as I picked mine up at a Scale Modelworld about 7/8 years ago.

I would try Friendship Models as they have a lot of Legend stuff from memory - plus Ian is a top bloke!

Kind regards

Ben

I'm off to eDay in Prague next week, I'll see if they've got anything there and failing that SMW could be another option

If anyone fancies something really out of the ordinary and has the extratech profipack version of the M36 Jackson they could build it as a French one complete with roof armour, colourful markings and extra machine guns?

As it happens..... :winkgrin:

Thanks for the pointers, guys. I've looked at some reviews and aftermarket detailing availability and on reflection I have decided to up the scale to 1:48 and will probably go with the Hase A7E kit to do something along these lines:

A-7D_Corsairs_354th_TFW_at_Korat_1972.JP

If I might ask, why are you going with an A-7E when 354th TFW operated A-7Ds... is it due to kit availability? There are differences between the Navy E model and the Air Force D model.

Also, the photo above was part of Korat's transit ramp (probably photographed right after the wing arrived in country and before they were re-positioned). The ramp was not typical of the layout where they were parked on the rest of the base.

Cheers!

John

Edited by kstater94

I am thinking about joining in as it be a chance to get out of the rut i am in of starting and not finishing. I have a few choices:

All 1/48

Hobbyboss A-6A

Tamiya A-1J

Academy F-4B

Hasegawa F-8E

Trumpter Mig-21F-13

Just cant make my mind up what to do.

Welcome. I would say the A-6 but you say you want to start & finish so it might be too much.

Mark (snapper_city), I have a Question regards the decal options for my build.

After some further research (with the help of Google translate) I’ve found out a little bit more about the use of the HUP 2 in French service. I was going to model an aircraft used by 58S and stationed in Haiphong in 1953; the reason being that there is no question of its involvement during the indochina war. However, The model art decals have another 58S aircraft, LF.4, that was on the La Fayette in 1954; I would prefer to finish my kit in this scheme. I’ve found a photograph online of another La Fayette 58S HUP 2; LF.3.

21349557880_e7e4b7a343_z.jpg

The caption for the photo states La Fayette, Gulf of Tonkin, 1954. After some further reading I’m certain that the La Fayette and the HUP-2’s were involved with the evacuation of refugees from Tonkin. Here things get a little confusing as I think 23S was created in 1954 with personnel derived of people formerly of 58S (I also think the HUP-2 aircrafts were transferred over too, but not certain?) In one of the sources I found, the translation says of 23S "On 5 July, the PA Dixmude sailed from Toulon to rally Indochina, with two HUP-2 23S. The mission of the PA is to participate in the evacuation of refugees of Tonkin" The model art decal set does provide 23S decals, but are of later aircraft probably used in Algeria and not Indochina.

With the above in mind and the photograph, would it be acceptable to finish my model of 58S LF.4, as I’m pretty certain that it participated in the Indochina war (I think those at model art are also of the same opinion as they do say “we offer examples from the two main units, including machines on carrier duties in Indochina)?
Sources I used, if anyone with a better understanding can confirm or correct me.
Cheers
Aaron

Sorry to stimble in on this GB but was wondering if anyone is doing anything with an AIR AMERICA theme?? Copter's, C47,C46,Caribou? Just interested.

I'm not part of the group build but am following this subject with great interest. Look forwar to seeing some finished subject"s.

Thanks Paul

I had intended using the Roden PC-6 Air America kit in this GB but my experience of Roden decals is not good. As I can't find an alternative (like I've had to on both my previous Roden adventures) I've changed plan.

On another topic can anybody point me to LAU-32/59 Vietnam era launchers in 48th please? Are they in one of the Hasegawa weapon sets or a resin offering I can't find?

Mark (snapper_city), I have a Question regards the decal options for my build.

After some further research (with the help of Google translate) I’ve found out a little bit more about the use of the HUP 2 in French service. I was going to model an aircraft used by 58S and stationed in Haiphong in 1953; the reason being that there is no question of its involvement during the indochina war. However, The model art decals have another 58S aircraft, LF.4, that was on the La Fayette in 1954; I would prefer to finish my kit in this scheme. I’ve found a photograph online of another La Fayette 58S HUP 2; LF.3.

21349557880_e7e4b7a343_z.jpg

The caption for the photo states La Fayette, Gulf of Tonkin, 1954. After some further reading I’m certain that the La Fayette and the HUP-2’s were involved with the evacuation of refugees from Tonkin. Here things get a little confusing as I think 23S was created in 1954 with personnel derived of people formerly of 58S (I also think the HUP-2 aircrafts were transferred over too, but not certain?) In one of the sources I found, the translation says of 23S "On 5 July, the PA Dixmude sailed from Toulon to rally Indochina, with two HUP-2 23S. The mission of the PA is to participate in the evacuation of refugees of Tonkin" The model art decal set does provide 23S decals, but are of later aircraft probably used in Algeria and not Indochina.

With the above in mind and the photograph, would it be acceptable to finish my model of 58S LF.4, as I’m pretty certain that it participated in the Indochina war (I think those at model art are also of the same opinion as they do say “we offer examples from the two main units, including machines on carrier duties in Indochina)?
Sources I used, if anyone with a better understanding can confirm or correct me.
Cheers
Aaron

Aaron, if you are as certain as you can be that the aircraft was used in theatre I have no issues with you using that option.

I had intended using the Roden PC-6 Air America kit in this GB but my experience of Roden decals is not good. As I can't find an alternative (like I've had to on both my previous Roden adventures) I've changed plan.

On another topic can anybody point me to LAU-32/59 Vietnam era launchers in 48th please? Are they in one of the Hasegawa weapon sets or a resin offering I can't find?

I have the same kit in the stash and did consider it for the GB but went against it due to my time constraints. I also have heard that Roden decals can be tricky. A shame as I have 5 or more of their kits in the stash but none built yet. Is it a case that stronger decal solution is required??? I opened my box up to check the decal content and there is more than I remembered. I have some Mike Grant Air America decals but they only cover the Air America writing and the US flag.

The Hasegawa weapon set B is the only one that I can see on Hannants that contains these.

• Like 1

Seems there is now bad guys so i be doing my Mig 21, if i complete it then i will maybe do the A-6 or Phantom.

Sounds like a good plan. I think you have a better chance of completing the MiG-21 if finishing the model is a concern. Would be good to have an A-6 in the GB but at least you have completed the MiG if the Intruder or Phantom doesn't make it in time.

I have the same kit in the stash and did consider it for the GB but went against it due to my time constraints. I also have heard that Roden decals can be tricky. A shame as I have 5 or more of their kits in the stash but none built yet. Is it a case that stronger decal solution is required??? I opened my box up to check the decal content and there is more than I remembered. I have some Mike Grant Air America decals but they only cover the Air America writing and the US flag.

The Hasegawa weapon set B is the only one that I can see on Hannants that contains these.

Thanks for answering but the Hasegawa Set B only has the Navy LAU-10 and LAU-3.

In my experience the Roden decals fall apart at the slightest provocation. Spaying on varnish before using them only helps a little. I wonder if the ink is water soluble or some such nonsense.

Thanks for answering but the Hasegawa Set B only has the Navy LAU-10 and LAU-3.

In my experience the Roden decals fall apart at the slightest provocation. Spaying on varnish before using them only helps a little. I wonder if the ink is water soluble or some such nonsense.

Thanks for the heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a secret handshake. (No there isn't.)

All you need to do is select a kit that conforms to the rules of the GB, start a thread in this subforum, and document your build. Godspeed.

• Like 1