Primer help

Draz87

Hi guys.

There is a severe shortage of primer where I live, and the only one I have found is from a company called 'citadel' who do the paints for Warhammer figures. Has anyone used it with the Tamiya spray cans and how did you go? Or does anyone know if its safe to use with the spray cans.

Thanks in advance

Draz

Check your local auto parts store and ask for the finest grade enamel primer they have. (Just to clarify Halfords are an auto supply chain in the UK- I live across the pond so had to look it up when I first joined BM.)

Auto paint makers make a 'Plastic' primer for use on the plastic parts of cars. Thats the one I use on my models. Be careful of other car paints, as even though they may be acrylic the carrier may be of the type that will damage model kit plastic.

Just about any matt paint can be used as a primer. I've used orange and red under reds, greens under greens....you get the idea.

Use a household plastic pot scrubber on the surface of your model to give the paint something to grip to. Use an enamel paint if you can, it grips the plastic better.

You can use Citadel paint. But don't blast the Tamiya paint on, mist it on in a few thin coats. Let the solvent flash off between coats. Even though the Tamiya is acrylic, its not a water based one, it uses a solvent. Too much of this solvent will cause a reaction with the Citadel, or any other paint.

• Like 1