POCHER 1933 BUGATTI T50 (K76)

D1fuN0

Steve it looks like you've invented yourself a new game "Pocher and ladders" one step forwards two steps back etc. I was a bit unsure about the dash but once the hardware was fitted, great call, it looks great mate, something I would not have considered in a million years, nice one.

Checked my stash again today, but it still did not materialize.

Eyeballing one offer but can't say that I find the price acceptable. Waiting game on.....

Looking really good, Steve.

Good that you are back on to it.

Good Afternoon Gents :bye:

I've also been waiting for another one of these to magically appear in my stash Pouln, but no such luck... :shrug:

Right then.

After my bold statement the last couple of days.. ( I will build it using kit instructions etc etc), I can see why that clever chap decided to start a serious of videos on how to build these things...

Putting the suspension together was... entertaining.

So, Tip #1 if you are going to ever build one of these - Build the entire chasis and suspension first, before building the engine and fitting it.

Onward's , the front suspension.

This was actually fascinating to build. It all went together fairly easy and you can kind of figure out what the instructions are saying about what fits where...

2016-04-03%2009.53.38.jpg

But then you have to fit it to the chassis... and thats where the problem starts because you need another pair of hands and fingers as thin as matchsticks...

But, after about an hour, i managed to get it all fitted.

2016-04-03%2010.55.20.jpg

2016-04-03%2010.48.59.jpg

Now its finally starting to look like a car :winkgrin:

After a calming cigarette and cup of coffee, I moved on to the rear of the car.

The rear box went together without problems...

2016-04-03%2011.52.22.jpg

So I started on the rear suspension

2016-04-03%2012.29.15.jpg

2016-04-03%2012.54.31.jpg

And this is where it all kinda fell apart.

After building up the rear brakes, and trying to figure out how they fitted together (I had the wrong part :tapedshut: )

I eventually had the thing together, then realised I'd built it upside down :tapedshut::tapedshut: , so I take apart again and put back together, then realised I'd built it upside down, AGAIN.. :tapedshut::tapedshut::tapedshut:

So, another coffee and a smoke and we came to this...

2016-04-03%2014.19.34.jpg

It was at this point that I realised that the two brake housing ARE actually sided, and Id built it on the wrong side.. so, AGAIN, take the 6 piece inner hub apart.. etc etc. :tapedshut::tapedshut::tapedshut::tapedshut:

After a quick management meeting with myself, I decided that its time to put everything down for a couple of hours, and take a break, otherwise im going to do something silly... :nono:

So, Im off to watch tele for a bit and see if i can do a bit more later.

If you are just reading this waiting for the kettle to boil or some other arb task and are wondering how big these models are, here's a photo that should give you an idea.

2016-04-03%2012.36.46.jpg

Well Im back to work tomorrow, so next update will only be next weekend..

Keep the faith

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

Steve the dash looks great. Did you put wood on all the surfaces (looks like it)? I like the effect. I have been debating if I do all wood or a combo of wood/leather on the dash. The springs on the front axle were a pain but looks like you got it all to fit. Not to skip too far ahead but I would recommend after you build the front and rear axles to put the wheels and body on to check ride height. It gets much more complicated to fiddle around with the model after the other sub assemblies are fit (engine, firewall, brakes, etc).

I am really impressed you are going old school without the Koo DVD!

Luckily you have a whole week to recouperate.

Wonderful how Pocher managed to make sure that you do everything, take it apart and redo, and then most of the time, followed by at least one other iteration.

That's how you arrive at so many building hours from just one kit.

Anyway, it is looking good. Looking forward to a follow-up.

Thanks Poul and RJFK :winkgrin:

Something that struck me earlier Poul was that i've never read anywhere in the old magazines about people having issues with these Pocher kits.

They were hailed as the best car models ever made back in the day and I've never seen any adverse reviews on them. Funny.

RJFK, yes i covered the whole dashboard in the sticky plastic stuff. Took a bit of time but i like the effect.

Thanks for the heads up about the wheels. Its actually the point I'm striving for at the mo, to get the wheels on then I can turn all my attention to the bodywork.

It does look like the rear suspension is easier to fit than the front, more space to get fingers into :winkgrin:

Thanks for the comments, very appreciated.

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

In one of my Bugattis they included a catalog from Sharper Image, the company that they had purchased the kit from, and in the literature it said that the building time for the kit was a mere 200 hours. This was from 1984 and the kit was $499.99 with the big Rolls Torpedo at $399.99. I found the 200 hour estimated building time rather amusing. I'm sure that it didn't take into account any painting or deciphering of the instructions.

Thanks Poul and RJFK :winkgrin:

Something that struck me earlier Poul was that i've never read anywhere in the old magazines about people having issues with these Pocher kits.

They were hailed as the best car models ever made back in the day and I've never seen any adverse reviews on them. Funny.

I think back then you needed to sign a non disclosure agreement. There's no other way how they would have been able to keep it a secret ;-)

Well look at it this way...

Today we are used to these superkits that have resin and photoetch, fit like a dream and every part is engineered for a quality fit.

Back then, (early to mid seventies), Airfix was basically king of the kits available, so when these Pocher came along, every was agog with what they were (well those who could afford them). It was expected that they wouldnt be easy to build...

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, I hope all is well with you and hope to see some more of your build.

Special interest now as my search for one proved to be successful.

Found one, engine started but that's all.

Need to move house, lol, if I continue, because my stash is getting quite big.

Edited by Pouln

Hi Steve, just got back to your build thread and looking at the attempt at the dashboard. I have to say the balsa just might be a tad too bland. I think you ned to look at getting a piece of tight grained walnut veneer ot some fruit tree veneer and stain it to look like walnut. Fruit trees like pear and apple have quite tight grain and just might suit your needs.

Colin

• 10 months later...

Afternoon Chaps :bye:

Yeeeeeeees, I know, I haven't done anything in this build for like, evaaaaa..., and yeeeees, I know, my attitude has been just slovenly to say the least. How could I let such a beauty linger half naked on my shelf, staring at me with big sad eyes.......

Well the good news is, I've started up the build again... :thumbsup:

Having cleared a workshop sized space in the model room, the old dear was dragged out and given a bit of a dust off.

Oh, I am still using the Pocher instructions, just btw...

Right then..... 

Last time I had just finished assembling the rear suspension, before life started getting in the way...

IMG_20170307_124543.jpg

Getting the suspension mounted to the frame is, lets just say, interesting! There are 4 points that have to match up, plus the funny looking spring things need to be as tight as possible to keep everything level. In the end I used common sense and a few very posh hi tech tools (toothpicks), to peg the rear of the suspension in while I connected the rest up.

IMG_20170307_145423.jpg

and so, a couple of hours later, we have a connected rear suspension and the spare wheel spike thingy added. Fuel tank is currently drying so its not added yet.

IMG_20170307_165325.jpg

Okay, next step was the wheels...

Each wheel is made up of 11 pieces and about a dozen screws and various metal fittings, I decided to paint the inner wheels black as a bit of a contrast against the chrome hub. The wheels went together easily enough, two of them where a bit bent, but with the screws and some super glue, I got them back into shape... 

Getting the wheels into the tyres was another story altogether... That was a wrestling match and a half, but after a couple of hours huffing and puffing and a few fruity variables... 

IMG_20170308_154949.jpg

And finally, the big moment...

IMG_20170308_141655.jpg

Okay, it wasn't such a big moment... The drum brakes were too big for the wheels to fit over properly, so it was either a case of take them all off and sand them down and re paint them, so that my suave and dapper 8th scale Frenchman will be able to stop his Bugatti while jeeting around the house, OR, remove the brakes and sod Henri...

The latter option won. 

Feeling very chuffed with myself, I got myself a celebratory cup of coffee, had a smoke and turned the page in the instructions....

Oh god, The Seats!!!!

This was the part I was dreading the most. With paint you can always remove it and start again, with real fake leather, you cant. Come on Steve, You cannot stuff this up, what ho, pip pip and all that... (or as the french would say, whit he, pop pop :) )

After some snooping around on google, I jumped in feet first...

The seats are plastic backings that the real fake leather goes over. I originally came upon the idea of using spray mount to glue everything down, which worked quite well on the big pieces with a couple of clamps...

IMG_20170309_091340.jpg

and eventually i ended up with this, not bad for a first attempt :)

IMG_20170309_101404.jpg

I decided to add a bit of embellishment to the seats, and thought piping would look nice, so I used some plastic rod, and carefully bent and superglued it to the seat. I don't think it looks too shabby...

Front seats were a bit more complex because of there shape, but i don't think they came out too bad

IMG_20170309_141710.jpg

Few touch ups and some piping around the edges of the fronts... and voila...

IMG_20170310_105502.jpg

Oh I forgot about the exhaust...

IMG_20170308_165535.jpg

The downpipes and fittings are plastic, the actual pipes are aluminum. I built them up into the two pieces shown and sprayed them Gloss Aluminium, and fitted them up, and surprisingly, they fitted first time, just right... 

I didn't use the steel brackets to fit the fueltank to the frame, I rather just screwed the tank to the frame. You cant see it once its fitted, so no biggie really.

Right then... That's the end of the update for now. 

Its time to do some industrial sized spray painting, and time to turn my attentions to the interior and body :) 

And its a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeg body

2011-01-01000000-39.jpg

More Soon... (I promise)

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

• Like 1

Glad to see you back on this Steve,

Really nice progress.

With the Pocher Bugatti's being so rare we are very lucky to have four in progress on this forum.

keep up the good work.

Best Regards,

Keith.

Morning Chaps :bye:

Yeah I know Keith, I was just thinking the same thing, in, what is it, like a year, maybe two, we've gone from 0 Bugatti's to four, and at least another 3 Pocher's on the forum as well. Very nice actually.

(Hope somebody will start a Huracan thread when they get one :) )

:ninja:Mad Steve:ninja:

Good to see you back Steve.  I was kind of thinking the same thing about the number of Bugs going at one time. I had the engine of my Bug sitting on the bench for a long time and I finally put it away. I'm probably going to sell both of mine because I doubt that I'll ever get to them. I'll just sit back and enjoy everyone else's builds.