Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

2 hours ago, perdu said:

" I think I'm beginning to get fed up saying "at least I'll know it's in there"!  "

You may be, but I guarantee that I and countless other observers are very glad to be able to say

"Hey we know what's in there, fabuloso!"

I can believe that about how many parts go into each assembly, I get thirteen in the tailwheel undercarriage on my Wessexes

Nuts ain't we?

Says it all ............

:goodjob:

Kev

17 hours ago, longshanks said:

Says it all ............

well, it appears my counting was a bit off. I did a quick count this morning and there are approximately 350 to 400 individual parts on each bogie ! (I got fed up counting the rivets)

I called the lathe people this morning :wall:

Apparently they're not allowed to open a box (in stock) take out the parts nicely packed in the styrene box top, and send them to me in an envelope that would take a few days and cost about $1.50 in postage.  They have to order an entire new chuck, complete with 2 sets of jaws from China  which will cost $82 (them, not me) and take a minimum of 10 weeks to arrive.  :whistle:

Or I could return the whole shebang, and wait a couple of weeks until a new one arrives - and hope that everything is in order with that one. :hmmm:

or.... I could go ahead with the order from China, buy a spare set of jaws for $35, then stick the replacement on fleabay when it eventually arrives.  hmnnnnnn ... I wonder what I'll do....

• Like 2

You can call me Ray, or you can call me J, or you can call me RayJ, or you can call me RJJ , or you can call me Raymond J Johnson Jr.,  This could last for a while. Good Luck.

• Like 1

Have you considered checking local tool shops and the like for acceptable alternatives?

OK I realise thats a dumb question, but somebody had to...

The "Oh no we don't have the right colour Sellotape to open boxes" excuse is the usual get out so nobody has to do any thinking

Or helping you the customer

:(

• Like 1

Bill, I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy a set of jaws from the Little Machine Shop. They advertise a set which fits the Chinese made lathes.  I saved $150 on the price of the lathe, so I'm not too put out at having to spend another $30 - $40, especially when I should get a new chuck in a few months time from the supplier.

I was out with a buddy last night and we had a few beers.  I had one too many golden monkeys and am feeling a bit under the weather today... just as well I took a couple of days vacation! :drink::sick:

As a form of self punishment, I spent a few hours this morning lapping the gibs for the lathe.  I didn't realize just how bad they were until I had one all polished and compared it to the other.  Hopefully that will make a bit of difference to the cross slides. I'm also going to replace all the adjustment screws and lock nuts with stainless steel items. Bling for machinists.

By that time, my head should be better and I can crack on with the bogies which I am hoping to get finished by this coming weekend.

• Like 3

Nice work on those bogies, a classic LNER design.

Incidentally, that design stayed in main-line, everyday, use until the early nineties under some electric multiple units (the first type I drove). When getting the train ready in the morning we had to visually check the wear on each brake block (sometimes 9 carriages worth.....).

Shame about the lathe. I once looked into buying a milling machine, but after extensive chats with engineers I decided that I'd need to already have a lathe and a milling machine just to get the damn thing set up properly!

The lapping I did on the gibs yesterday made a BIG difference to the cross slides.  I went ahead with the lathe purchase knowing that I'd never be making watches, or real precision parts but the accuracy I can get from this lathe is probably more than enough for anything I'll be doing, so at the end of the day, it was a worthwhile purchase.

I did a lot of reading up on the lathe before committing, and there are plenty of horror stories out there about the Chinese made lathes, but if you can get through the "foreign made" bias, most folks seem to think that with a little bit of work and adjustment, they can be made into a decent lathe for the hobby machinist

There's something about Gresleys - purposeful, robust looking, and built to last, sort of like the Forth Bridge of bogies

• Like 2

It's done !  They're done ! Finally ! After several years in the making, the bogies are to all intents and purposes, complete.   A momentous milestone moment to be savored and relished.

So prepare thyself for a plethora of unnecessary photo's, most of which look the same, and in most of which you won't really be able to tell what's going on, but after this amount of time working on these little blighters, I feel justified in bending the bandwidth to show off the results.  It's more black on black, with a dark background in a shady place with poor lighting but what the heck.....

Here we have all the brake blocks in place. It's not my best work, but it works nonetheless.

P1250005.jpg

Then we have some sort of bracket, I'm assuming this is a safety thing, to prevent the brake assembly falling orf and hitting the rails. These are the trial parts to make sure they actually fit before I go off and make 16 of them, then find out I got the dimensions wrong somewhere along the line.

P1250007.jpg

All support hardware now in place, stuck firmly, and painted ehrrr... black.

P1250016.jpg

A view from the top...

P1250018.jpg

There's a little bit of touch up required here and there, but overall, not too shabby. At least the touch ups will be easy. - Like this little rivet which got bashed in all the handling. Actually, I'm surprised there isn't a lot more touch up required.

P1250019.jpg

I couldn't resist a dry fit to get an overall view of the carriage.  Unfortunately, it's so large, that to get the entire chassis in the picture, you can't really see the detail.  Though you can easily see the mess under my workbench.

P1250010.jpg

So, here we are... over 400 individual parts all stuck together. The only parts in the entire assembly which have not been scratch built are the wheels - and they were modified slightly!

P1250020.jpg

and just because I took the photo, here's a square on shot from the side.

P1250021.jpg

It looks quite impressive from this angle though

P1250009.jpg

.. and equally impressive from t'other end. (and why would it not). It will probably look even better once I remove all the dust.

P1250013.jpg

The ride height is probably a little high but not so much that anyone would notice (I hope). Also, I think the top line of the bogie isn't quite parallel with the underside of the chassis, but I won't tell if you don't.

P1250008.jpg

So now I need to find something else to be getting on with, so I found a relatively easy job to ease me back in again... the buffer mounts.  I had originally bought some brass buffers from somewhere, intending to use those, but just last week, I finally found a photo of the real thing showing the chassis ends, and then noticed that the buffer mount on Pegasus wasn't a nice machined casting - it was a very rough looking casting held in place by 4 bolts. So I made one up from styrene, milliput and some Meng bolt heads.  These close up shots don't do it any favors but once it's painted black along with everything else, it will disappear into the chassis. I'll make a mold from this master and cast the four that I need.

P1250014.jpg

Then while posting all these photo's, I realized there is one final thing to be done to complete the bogies.... there's two support plates on the top of each side that are painted white on the 1:1

What a relief !   At least I don't have to make anything else for them, it's just open a pot of white paint and have at it.

There's still a few bits and bobs to be added to the underside, the biggest part being the generator... sounds like a job for the lathe !

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Great to see them finally finished!

and as usual, I spotted another adder.... I need to fit a small cross brace below the axle boxes at the bottom of the wheel openings  :wall:

At least it's an easy job.

4 hours ago, hendie said:

It looks quite impressive from this angle though

I would say they look great from any angle. A great achievement which must give you heart for all that's to follow.

The buffer mounts look.......... :hmmm:............................  Cast!

:goodjob:

Kev

• Like 1

Henie, congratulations on the milestone. The wheels if modified are a bonus, no need to make extra work if you can find something that will suit the purpose. Isn't that what the hobby is about?

Having been an industrial modelmaker I can see the effort you are putting into certain aspects of this build, attention to detail whichmake for a great build and a resulting great model. Congratulations.

Colin

• Like 1

By the time I get to...

No I mean by the time you finish this there's going to be a severe shortage of likes, awesomes and wow amazings in the world

Because they will all have been used up by us

That buffer casting is, well, any of the above and sat on the bogies we have a carriage coming along

Excellent mate, tres bon as we say when I go to Le Mans

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments folks.

The majority of the underside is almost done (I think) but one of the major items remaining is the electrical generator. This is driven by a belt system connected to a pulley on one set of the bogie wheels.

Guess who found another opportunity to use the lathe :yahoo:   Creating the main body was simple - creating the rounded end was a bit more problematic as I don't (yet) have a radius turning tool, so that was created the old fashioned way by using a file while it was still turning in the lathe.

My first effort is on the right - it was so easy to do, that I made another, after I realized that the body should have a thicker section where the linkage is mounted.  AFter that was done, I added a styrene pyramid thingy on top to act as the mounting block

P1270002.jpg

Which was then drilled through

P1270003.jpg

and the hole opened out so that I can poke a bit of brass tube in there.  A big humongous bracket will then fit over that, which in turn will be fixed to the chassis.

It was all going so well until I realized that I have to paint the kitchen tomorrow as we're having a few friends around for dinner next weekend

P1270004.jpg

In the meantime, look what arrived this week.....

P1250001.jpg

This may well be my "I need a break from the train" model - though I haven't made a firm decision yet.   There's only about 10 parts - how hard can it be to convert to a Scout AH1 ???

• Like 5

Nice styrene pyramid thingy. Not seen one of those for years.

Nice generators as well, make another and you could scratch build

a frogman to go with them.

Now, lets get this straight,  Over in the aircraft WIP we have,

Perdu converting an Airfix Scout into a Wopse.

And Bell209 is, (I think), converting a Fujimi Wopse into a Scout.

So if you're going to make a Wopse into a Scout I think we have the set.

Hey! you could turn the torpedo's on the lathe!

(Or was that the master plan all along?)

Next week news, Revell announce a 1/32nd scale Wopse.

• Like 2

I learnt today that in amongst the old

models that I rescued from Mums attic

there is (Wait for it) a 1/50th Wasp!

A bit battered but more or less intact.

Some TLC required in the future.

IIRC I rescued this from RAF Halton

on my fitters course in 1981.

• Like 2

Nice work on the gennies Hendie. Nice find with the wasp too, there's plenty inaccurate with this old kit for you to get your teeth into. I'm looking forward tot that build.

Colin