Scratch Build of 1951 Pullman Carriage

hendie

This is what I like about scratch building and yours in particular; the thought process and ingenious methods of seeing something and making it work to suit your needs. Combined with your humorous discourse I really enjoy watching you make anything. Great job so far Hendie! It is both entertaining and informative. Also thanks for the link to the free 3D CAD software.

• Like 1

This is what I like about scratch building and yours in particular; the thought process and ingenious methods of seeing something and making it work to suit your needs. Combined with your humorous discourse I really enjoy watching you make anything. Great job so far Hendie! It is both entertaining and informative. Also thanks for the link to the free 3D CAD software.

Thanks very much for the comments. Maybe not so much ingenious as desperation, and in being too tight to go an buy some more materials!

How are you getting on with the software ? Let me know if you need any help

???

Anything happening here Hendie?

hi Bill, yup, things are continuing with the Pullman. I've been working on the second bogie to bring it up to the same build stage as bogie number one but thought that there wasn't much point in posting photo's of that since it was a repetition of stuff I had already posted.

I had a go at making the axle boxes from resin - the results weren't great. The master and the mold turned out fine but the parts had such thin walls, the resin just wasn't up for the job. I had visions of it collapsing in the heat and humidity here a few months down the line. So I have now resorted to making each one individually , which is a bit of a pig since I have eight to complete

In between bogie forming (hi Pete!) I've been doing some of the other underside stuff - some piping, the tank (shown earlier) and a motor/generator looking thingy. - that alone took three evenings to complete. And now I keep getting shocks every time I touch something after working with the styrene.... enough static to see sparks fly.

So to answer your question, yes, but not huge visual progress. I'll try and get a few photo's this weekend before I head off north again (I've got about 3 trips lined up over the next 4 or 5 weeks)

• Like 1

well, here goes for a small update.

The silicon mold turned out fine, capturing all the details as needed (as silicon always does)

P4100001.JPG

And the resin part turned out fine. Here I just painted up one of the axle boxes (very roughly) to see what it looked like in situ. It looks okay but because of the small wall thickness, I was afraid that, over time, it may collapse - given all the weight of the chassis and body that will essentially be sitting on these axle boxes.

P4160006.JPG

So I'm starting a production line of axle boxes, which is going to take a while but at least they'll be solidf enough to support the weight of the train when finished.

P4130003.JPG

The second bogie is now up to the same build state as bogie number one.

P4160004.JPG

I spent an awful lot of time this week trying to figure out how to attach the wheels to the bogie, going through 3 or 4 design iterations. This was the best that I came up with. The design incorporates a small piece of tube with some brass rod bent around it in a "U" shape then soldered to the tube. I'm using rod as it has a much greater modulus than wire.

I drilled a couple of receiving holes in the channel, then drilled and tapped a 2-56 screw which then screws down onto the brass tube. - I had to add a small portion of styrene sheet inside the channel as there wasn't enough wall thickness on the channel to provide enough depth for tapping the threads.

P4120001.JPG

My thoughts behind this design were that the 2 upright rods hold the tube in position, then the 2-56 screw can be adjusted to suit the ride height of the axle boxes/wheels relative to the bogies. A small dab of superglue on the rods once the ride height is established be strong enough to hold everything in the correct position.

This is all well and good, but it's going to be a nightmare to retrofit the bogies to accept this design - and because of all the gubbins already on the bogies, I'm not sure how accurate I can get the hole positions. So I am now giving this a few days of mulling over... the other option is to go with the styrene axle boxes to position everything. I end up with a thickness of around 3 mm of styrene and since this is a static model, I think that may be enough to support the carriage when finished. I need a few days to think this all through.

Then a couple of evenings were spent making this motor/generator looking thingy. Basically, some brass tube, styrene tube and a couple of bits and bobs including some a piece of scrap runner

P4160005.JPG

... and that's been the sum of my work over the last week or so. As I said, not much visual progress, but getting bogie number two up to this level was important (before I lost my mojo)

...more to come.... eventually...

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just a very brief update this time around, mainly to prove the project is still ongoing. I've kind of hit a wall over the last few weeks and not having a lather is really starting to hold things up in the queue. (I need a lather to turn down the flanges of the wheels to make them look a bot less like pizza cutters)

A couple of mounting brackets were made to hold the pump that I made last time around, then mounted on angle, followed by a quick dry fit.

P5060001.JPG

Some pipework was made using styrene rod bent around a heated brass rod, then everything was primed and sprayed black

P5070010.JPG

Then I got as far as spraying one of the bogies before I ran out of paint d'oh!

P5070009.JPG

It looks like I'll need to concentrate on some of the underhanging stuff just now to keep things moving... and order some more paint!

• Like 2

Doesn't look much like a model Hendie mate

Are you sure you aren't hitting us with pics of the real thing?

I hear that some of you techy geniuses are very good at this here photo shopping and I know you're a dab hand with a graphics programme

;)

And

I know you're a superior model whizzkid, this really proves it

It's sublime piece of artwork

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Jeepers,    a guy can't get peace around here without someone somewhere wanting models built      ^_^

Well Bill, I finally did summat on the train - not much, but something.

The second bogie got a coat of aircraft interior black, followed by a clear gloss coat.  S'weird - the same mix of gloss that went on crap on to the Lysander went on great on the bogie !   Go figure!

PC030008.jpg

The mounting points for the bogies were fitted.  - A small nut epoxy glued in behind the brass plate.

PC030011.jpg

Now, when I get a chance, these will be the next parts to be fitted.

PC030010.jpg

It's been so long since I worked on this that I have kind of forgotten where I was. 

I'm going to have to dig out all the drawings again and go through them to see what's what.  I'm looking forward to pulling the automatic cutter out of the box and firing it up, but I need to get a load of drawings done first.

satisfied BIll ???   :P

Edited by hendie
  • Like 8

Well, I was wrong - those parts shown above were not the next parts to be fitted.

When I opened up my box of Pegasus bits, I came across some "springs" I had made many, many months ago. Those springs were to be fitted to the Gresley's.   As it turned out, I had only made enough springs for one bogie.... easy I thought, I'll just knock up another half dozen springs.....

Of course, I must have put my patented-spring-maker-device in a safe place, because I could not find it.  After about half an hour of searching I came across another patented-spring-maker-device in a box of bits. So, out with the stainless wire and another half dozen springs were manufactured to specification.  Specification being - make it long then cut it down to length.

Like this......

PC040007.jpg

The ends of the springs were ground flat so that the springs would sit upright.  The springs then sit down inside the bogie on the three cross members, three per side.

PC040008.jpg

As always with detailing - once in place you can hardly see them and if they were not there, probably no-one would ever notice.

PC040010.jpg

The springs were tacked in place with a drop of CA, then some epoxy glue was dribbled down the inside to provide a more secure fixing.

I'm liking these bogies - certainly looking a bit industrial with all the rivets and bolts and stuff.  And now I'm off over to my Lysander thread....

• Like 8

A fine patented spring maker, I might ask you to make springs for me some day Hendie

They look very good in situ and in the spring boxes too

That bogie is a thing of beauty to we engineers

b

• Like 1

I managed to get a little bit more done today though nothing really worth photographing.   I managed a "V" bracket, and a single brake block - with the intention of using them as master for molding - and of course, my silicone had gone orff hadn't it.  So now I'm off to order some more.   Photo's will follow when there's something worthwhile to show