Moulding Flash Sanders

Mike

Moulding Flash Sanders
Hobby Elements

boxtop.jpg

Sanding moulding seams has been a chore since plastic modelling began, and that goes double for organic shapes such as figures, so getting them done in a quick and easy manner would be a godsend, would it not? Read on…

closedbox.jpg

This new product from Hobby Elements offers a solution to anyone that possesses a motor-tool such as a Dremel, with a 3mm collet or variable chuck (which I heartily recommend BTW). They arrive in a card and acetate box that reminds me of the old tape cassettes in size, which says a lot about my age. Inside this tricky to open box is another more practical plastic box, which once you take the top cover off (it's a friction fit), shows five conical burrs of the type you can find in any burr set, but they are finer than most, so give a better finish. They vary in grit size from rough on the left to ultra-fine on the right, in small steps. I'd keep them in the box until you need them so you don't get them mixed up, because it can be tricky to tell them apart under poor light.

openbox.jpg

dremel.jpg

To use them, you simply chuck them into your motor-tool, set the speed to as low as you can reasonably get, and start rubbing the side gently against the seam you intend to obliterate. They work quickly, abrading away a little material, and are excellent for reducing the disparity between the mould halves where slip has occurred too. I've tried them on a number of figure parts, and you can get through the task in minutes, which is quite satisfying. It also takes the chore out of holding the figure for long periods, which I find a problem due to my cramp-prone hands, so it's another thumbs up from me on that score too. If you're like me and find scrabbling around for collets of the correct size, just get yourself a replacement chuck for around £6, and all your troubles are over. I wouldn't be without mine, which you can see in the photo.

Conclusion
Sure you could just get a burr set from eBay and have a couple on hand for around the same money, but they're all likely to be the same grit size, which will still leave you with some sanding work to do. These tools have been custom made for Hobby Elements, so you could be searching quite some time before you get a better alternative.

Very interesting, and if you do figures, probably a must-have based on my trials.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy
logo.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I use my wireless Lithium-Ion Dremel, but you could just as well use a wired one. All you have to do is follow the instructions. I'm sure they advise you to use a fast speed, so it doesn't even matter if yours won't throttle back to the kind of slow speeds a battery powered one is capable of. :)

• 2 years later...

I'm afraid you still see the seams on my models - I have however had some success with a 'fine' emery board (used for fingernails by the 'girls'). The board is flexible and can be contoured over the seam if it is on a curve, such as a fuselage. I just try to be very careful I don't get too enthusiastic and bite too deeply into the surrounding surface detail.

Best of luck,

Mike