Aston Martin DBR9 Airfix 1/32

Hi mates!

Very long time from my previous post here... By that time I used to (try to) build aircrafts; now I'm here with I car which I must admit it's something completely new to me.

I started this build a few moths ago, I started a thread at the Airfix Tribute forum but being an Aston I suposse it's not a bad idea to post it here too. So these pics show the progress to the moment.... Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking :D

The model its quite well enginereed, in my opinion... Good fit, till now, and only small amounts of flash and a few ejector marks here and there....

1_zpsb3d18931.jpg

2_zps183f032c.jpg

I started to add some bits I found out looking at pics of the real thing on the Internet. I'm not, at all, an expert on cars so I'm sure I'm making mistakes but I'm taking this build as a new start on modeling so mistakes should be expected, isn't it? :lol:

4_zpsdeee0b6e.jpg

3_zpsa7617c4f.jpg

5_zpsdc3aa4ee.jpg

6_zps974c9e19.jpg

7_zpsdd92d9db.jpg

As I didn't like the way the boot (if that is the name for the trunk) area look I decided to add a few bits of Evergreen here and there....

DSCN3287_zpsc435d88f.jpg

DSCN3288_zpsa4156a9c.jpg

... Improved a bit some pieces and build others from scratch...

DSCN3289-b_zps2333698d.jpg

After some work this is the way it looks...

4_zps10356fd7.jpg

One thing I was not very happy with was the way Airfix represented the vents behind the wheels with only a couple of decals...

1_zpsbf995147.jpg

I also added belts to the seat with masking tape

3_zps843c045a.jpg

The cockpit (is that the word for a car?) had no sidewalls so I made them

2_zpsa8dcd567.jpg

Final stages of detailing before priming

1_zpsd4eb9d0e.jpg

2_zps8bc11417.jpg

3_zpsb9175b0a.jpg

The refuelling "cap" was not very well represented so I deleted them and I'm trying to replicate using styrene sheet.

4_zps68925d99.jpg

Never primed a model before but as almost anyone building cars do this as a basis I decided it was a must for me too :lol: I used Mr Surfacer 1000 diluted al 50% ratio with it solvent and airbrushed at 1,5 bar.

dscn3330.jpg

...And this is how priming has gained a fan :D I love the way the pimer add strength to the scratchbuilt pieces and what's more add smooth to the surfaces... Will keep doing it for sure...

1.jpg

The bodywork its almost ready. I engraved some rivets, filled big holes, etc...

2.jpg

Already glued the bumper as it doesnt fit very well...

4.jpg

May be the more time comsuming parts were the rear air vents...

5.jpg

They look more or less convincing, in my opinion...

3.jpg

Not a big progress but I primed the bodywork to locate fails... Some pics...

1_zps2cc34cec.jpg

2_zpsfd09098d.jpg

3_zps93f6fe29.jpg

4_zps83e5bea1.jpg

...Then primed in white...

3.jpg

4.jpg

... And then airbrushed with Zero's Gulf Blue...

dscn3360.jpg

dscn3361.jpg

dscn3362.jpg

Here you can see the finished paintwork and a couple of gloss coats aplied in preparation for decals.

dscn3399.jpg

dscn3398.jpg

dscn3406.jpg

dscn3408.jpg

Now on to THE DECALS!!!! Will be my first decaling work in six years :wow:

dscn3390.jpg

dscn34201.jpg

Okay decaling finished. Finally, the Colorado decals sheet was quite overscaled :(

dscn34171.jpg

That's why a ended using all the orange from the Airfix kit and only used from the Colorado sheet those ones needed for representing the car during the race.

On the orange area over the side windows, I used the airfix decals and carefully cut and applied the blue line from Colorado over that.... With a good ammount of Microsol it looks convincing to me.

Airfix decals did not nclude all the orange you need for the intakes on the car nose. You need to use some paint to cover them. I used Vallejo mixed to my eye. Once clear coated I think the will look good enough.

dscn34181.jpg

Anyway, I think the Colorado decal sheet is a good investment as include all the decals for the race car as well as the 007 numbering, quite more "iconic", in my opinion, being an Aston Martin.

dscn34211.jpg

dscn3416.jpg

Now on to the clear coating again....

Hope you like the pics. :D

Edited by JuanjoDominguez
  • Like 22

That is some very impressive work so far, looking forward to seeing the finished item! Also, your photography is excellent as well, a real pleasure to see the model, even in its unfinished stages, with the lighting and backgrounds used.

• 3 weeks later...

What a beauty, I've failed twice at building one of these into anything nice. Will you be using the kit supplied wheels with the moulded tyres? I wasn't keen on them but then again I'm nowhere near your level of modelling ability to make them look convincing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...