1/72 Trumpeter TU-16 Badger & Hobby Tsukuda Mig-31 Foxhound

Hey folks!

The other day I returned home from what I thaught was a horrible morning to be greeted by a huge box with 2 very nice Ruskies in it :).

15931576802_3f287df762_c.jpg

As you can tell I was very happy once I opened the box and had a look :).

In the next few days once XH558 has been completed the TU-16 will be started followed by the 2 Mig's.

• Like 3

Tomjw - thanks mate its always nice to have your support, interesting could be a very good word for these builds :).

These two are with out doubt the most adventurous kits I have ever built so it will be a major learning curve for me!

Radleigh - Thanks mate watch this space :).

There will also be a third Ruskie joining the party in the form of an Italeri Mig-29UB, I wanted to paint her into Polish markings but now I want Russian markings because of the Cold War SIG.

• Like 1

I think you will find the Tsukuda Mig only has a passing resemblance to the real thing if it is the same kit reboxed by Revell. Every photo I looked at showed a major flaw when I compared it to the kit .Mine is scheduled for a single high speed test if I get around to it.

• Like 1

Flankerman - Thanks for the help mate.

By the looks of it I could get away with using the interior green, black and grey as the background for the instruments.

Robin-42 - Thanks for the heads up mate, having looked through the forum though this thread shows me a pic of the completed model:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234930325-tsukuda-172-mig-31/#entry1814161

I dint think its too bad to be honest with you.

At £4 for the kit I couldnt really say no :).

Good luck on your build mate, please let me have a look at the progress as Id love to compare.

HOUSTON - Thanks mate.

I hope you enjoy the build, I do plan on startibg very soon, that is why I started the thread to give me a kick up the rear to start :).

As soon as progress is made pics will be posted :).

Last night saw the start of my first ever Russian kit, the TU-16.

I primed the interior parts for the cockpit, painted the cockpit floor, instrument panel and the door way.

I have glued the Instrument Panel in place.

Here is a pic of the Panel:

15785332509_929b77d738_c.jpg

Once the glue has set I will take a pic of the 2 joined together.

I know the colours are not right but the panel doesnt match any pics I have found so I did the best I could with what I had and I think it will be hidden from view anyway.

This is my first ever attempt at detail in the cockpit.

Without a fine tip brush it can be very difficult.

A good start. I always go over the top in cockpits whether they will be seen or not. I guess I just enjoy doing it. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Tom.

Today I have done alot of work on the Badger.

I have assembled the whole cockpit and finished the paint work inside the nose section.

The nose and cockpit have been glued together:

16000028995_f5ba033bff_z.jpg

The fuselarge interior has finished being painted and the engines have been glued to the fuselarge:

15812642078_50c0b62be3_z.jpg

Also the bomb bay and the 2 bombs she will carry have been assembled and painted.

15999352542_3b285bd330_z.jpg

And I used the last of the new mixed paint I had to paint the gear wells as the colour matched the Mig-21's wheel well colour:

15814283367_fc2a20430e_z.jpg

Im hoping to carry on tonight but who knows if I will get chance :).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok so progress has at last been made on the mighty Badger!

The fuselarge has been glued together along with the bomb bay, nose wheel bay and both gun turrets are in loose so they can be turned.

Here is a pic with the nose dry fitted to give a demonstration of the length of the TU-16:

16100292610_f2061c3e43_c.jpg

I wanna get the nose glued in place tonight and add the filler but Il update you all on that when its been done.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hey folks!

Rather than starting a new thread I decided to revive my old thread.

After nearly a year of laying dormant the TU-16 makes a move!

After observations and alot of working out I've decided to put all except one of the doors in the closed position so alot of filler was needed, more filler was needed for the wing and gear lumps, all the moving surfaces have been put on, the 2 wing mounted weapon pilons have been drilled and glues and now after a little more sanding she will finally be ready for paint after this pic was taken:
32297417682_1a44459cfc_c.jpg

Last night I spent some time in the paintshop.

Masking off the open holes with tissue and bits of tape really does the job!
Low tech with max results!
When the TU-16 Badger is complete she will be the first big build I've ever completed next I line to the MiG-31!
Here is a shot of her paintwork nicely finished and stored in a dust free cabinet:
31698158563_492e4012f8_c.jpg

• Like 1