1/72 Eduard Focke Wulf Fw-190A/F - released

172flogger

Oh dear! I can see a few of these making their way into the stash but best I get making all those Hasegawa ones first.

Duncan B

p.s. note to Airfix: That's how to make a low key but high impact announcement!

Oh god I hope they ate going to simplify it a bit and not jus scale down the 1/48th kits

They will be simplified (at least the plastics in the box), it was shown on the nose guns (only barrels will be in the kit) and the engine (only the front side with cylinders) during our visit to Eduard. But I expect all the missing and simplified bells and whistles to be available in Brassin range.

Looks as if the cross section of the fuselage between firewall and tail plane is off like on the 48th kit.

Appears to be so to me too, and the leading edge of the tail is too fat on the root like with many kits, it wasn't in real

Everything wrong on their 1/48 kit is present in 1/72 CAD....tail, centre section and windscreen/canopy...if you watch Future Projects/ Novemberfest video

on detailscalview.com, Eduard employees comment before mentioned CAD saying that omissions on 1/48 kit are rectified-hope they learned with Gustav :banghead:

Wow, you guys can see a lot on those blurry screenshots ;)

Me, as a matter of principle, I never slag a kit until I've seen low-res shots of a badly executed test build :coolio:

Of course, there are folks who wait for the finished product to arrive in their hands, but I really think that's playing it safe :P

• Like 2

DSC_0625-1.jpg

Exactly, you can see there is a slight indention where the end of the fuselage top meets the leading edge of the tail, the result is it keeps the leading edge slender.

If one thinks a little it should be clear a vertical stabilizer that has the width of a fuselage end makes no sense and would only create stability probs and drag.

Kit makers need to use their brains and ponder how an airplane works instead of just assuming from plans.

Thanks for the image !!

Cheers

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all. Any ideas anyone as to when we can expect to see this released?

Thanks and a happy new year to everyone at britmodeller.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What do you reckon those slatted things that look like Ju88 dive brakes are on the left?

Can anyone see Wg21 (sp?) rocket pods?

regards,

Martin

They didn't correct the fin and some other 'broadnesses' like others pointed to, this kit is not for me therefore.

Kit makers seem to suffer from mild autism sometimes, they don't listen cause they seem to be too deeply involved in things that are too complicated for to them.

My first post on this sub-forum.

I just got home from the IPMS-USA National Convention in Columbus, Ohio. I was able to see sprues of this kit as well as a built-up, and had a nice long chat with the Eduard brass themselves. They assured me the kit was a "clean sheet" project, based on new reference material from some recognized experts, and bears no relation to their 1/48 Fw 190's.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 1/72 guy, and the 190 is my favorite machine of all time. I've collected kits, references, and built models of it for nigh on 50 years, and I can tell you that THIS KIT IS EXCELLENT!

This sprue will be common to all versions of the kit. As you can see, lots of internal detail, bits for versions to come (night fighter goodies, etc.), and multiple choices of many components:

0696C4A4-FC11-44F9-BDCF-C2C0CD16B8B4_zps

The fuselage and wing components are on a separate sprue, this obviously is where variant differences will be picked up:

0A9174CB-75B8-4103-BC57-B4CEA82A3F38_zps

Hangy bits for the ground-attack variants...I'd buy the kit for this alone:

85685441-213B-461A-863E-25B2E7ECA8A0_zps

Clear sprue. Both styles of canopy, each in open or closed mode, windscreen and note the "Sturmbock" side glass:

3CCB98E8-B120-4CBA-839B-4128C975DAC3_zps

Finally some shots of the built-up. Be your own judge, but to me it is superb. Looks like it was hastilly done, needs some fit fettling and some minor bits were omitted (like the ammo boxes from the wheel well...look back at the first sprue shot!), nevertheless the overall shape and many subtle touches are evident.

I have been a staunch advocate of the Hasegawa kits since their introdution (in 1992....groan, am I really THAT old...!), but IMHO the ONLY detail they have over this kit is the shape of the bulges over the nose MG 131's. Yes, I'll be buying some!

5A5899DD-010E-4EB0-B50C-D2DD768D827F_zps

ECB2B4AC-FCF2-436E-B989-7DFD82030F1C_zps

635E4AF1-1F44-4EB7-A5B9-5D23709D6F75_zps

• Like 4

It looks absolutely amazing on the sprues. The test build, they're not doing themselves any favors there, very sloppily thrown together and the fit on the engine and gun panels looks rather bad. However, if their latest kits are anything to go by that will not be an issue on the finished product.

I'm really looking forward to this - Eduard may be setting themselves up to corner the market for all major WWII fighters with a Spitfire on the way and the Hellcat already being arguably the best 72nd kit ever. I can't wait for them to expand into other areas, although they will have a tough battle ahead if they want to take on Tamiya's P-47, P-51 and Zero!