1/72 Eduard Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IX, VIII and XVI

172flogger

• 3 months later...

Mr Sulc wrote on the IPMS Nymburk website that the release of Spitfire has moved to the first half of next year. So maybe April, as the bigger Spit was released. I really hoped that they would release Spit before Xmas :(

Yup, if their Hellcat and 110 are anything to go by they will be the definitive models in 1/72. I have absolutely no idea how anyone can improve on those kits, but then again I'm sure people said that about the Frog version half a century ago ;)

• Like 1

I just remind myself of their 1/48 109G. Mistakes can be made. But I plan on buying at least eight of these. At least.

I may buy a few 8s, rather than 9s and 16s - I have enough of the AZ/Sword kits of the latter but the AZ 8 isn't as nice as their 9 and the Eduard example will most likely be superior. Let's hope that they don't make the same error as CMR did with their mk 8s.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0

• 2 months later...

News: http://www.detailscaleview.com/2015/11/new-products-from-novemberfest-2015.html

_MG_6266.JPG

Another new model - Spitfire in 1/72 scale, which should be on the market very soon. Basically, it is scaled down 1/48 kit, so we can expect nice quality. I already saw some test shots and can say that detalization will be identical to its bigger brother, so no worries here.

V.P.

• Like 1

My impression, for what that's worth, is we will see a common sprue that supports the VIII, IX, and XVI high back. We will likely get separate sprue sets for the c and e wings (possibly one wing with some proper bulges provided separately), clipped and not clipped wings (would love to see both, but if only one let me clip it please), and standard or rear view (bubble canopy) fuselages.

With that type of layout a Royal Class lends itself to having an VIII, two IX's, and a XVI rear view. I'd buy many.

It would also be an easy extension to provide a pressurized fuselage for a VII and even a bulged chin for the PR XI. We'd then have the definitive late mark Merlin Spitfires...

If I'm dreaming I'll dream big.

Tim

• Like 7

.... It would also be an easy extension to provide a pressurized fuselage for a VII and even a bulged chin for the PR XI...

You need a little more than a bulged chin for a PR Xl. New wing, and retractable tailwheel for a start. A new canopy, and modify (various ways of doing this) for cameras in rear fuselage.

I forget Eduard's exact words, but re extending their 1/48 range to include a PRXl, it was 'medium term', 'not in the immediate future' so they are obviously well aware of the work involved. With an excellent (if somewhat pricey) Xl now available from 'Attack Squadron' I'd personally prefer to see them continuing with 'world class' toolings of Hellcat, Fw190 (series?) and maybe even early Mustangs....

.... It would also be an easy extension to provide a pressurized fuselage for a VII and even a bulged chin for the PR XI...

You need a little more than a bulged chin for a PR Xl. New wing, and retractable tailwheel for a start. A new canopy, and modify (various ways of doing this) for cameras in rear fuselage.

I forget Eduard's exact words, but re extending their 1/48 range to include a PRXl, it was 'medium term', 'not in the immediate future' so they are obviously well aware of the work involved. With an excellent (if somewhat pricey) Xl now available from 'Attack Squadron' I'd personally prefer to see them continuing with 'world class' toolings of Hellcat, Fw190 (series?) and maybe even early Mustangs....

If they are doing an VIII then there will already be a retractable tailwheel. Extended wingtips for the VII could also be used for an VIII. This could become expensive, although a double boxing like there was with the FAA Hellcats could be good value.

I don't know why, but I'm a bit sceptical about the 2nd quarter. I remember them saying end of summer 2015, then autumn-winter 2015, now 2nd quarter. I'm a very patient bloke, who doesn't have much time nowadays for modelling, and my decals are patient too :) But the note about the division of parts is a bit worrying. If it's the same as per 1/48 there might be some issues with canopy and closing fuselage.But we'll see.

Dominik, still impatiently looking forward to new 1/72 Spitfires.

Their 1/48 Spitfire is in my opinion the best 1/48 single engined prop kit on the market today-but its not perfect-as it could have been,

Its way over complicated-parts breakdown in some cases ( two parts upper engine cowling etc...)-is dubious , and should not be found in 2013 kit.

While I love Eduard I do think they are more than a bit devious-their " new kits " like 1/48 Emil family and recent Fw 190A-5-8 in 1/72 are nothing more than pantographed larger kits with all of the former shortcomings incorporated into "newly developed" kits.

Regarding Spitfire they can pantograph 1/48 kit without worrying about accuracy, but 1/72nd should be far more like their 1/144 offering, than 1/48th one.

Simple and accurate kit without four part wheel well, two part cowling etc....

I do really hope that it will be less over engineered than 48th kit. Especially this senseless idea of cutting the part of fuselage to install closed canopy.

But, apart from my criticism, I do really think Eduard's 48th Spitfire is the best kit in the market.

• 1 month later...