AMT Tigercat F7F 2/2N AM

Skids

Hi All

After getting one of these very cheap I was wondering about AM. I would like to do it with wings folded and engine exposed. If I am correct the Italeri kit is a re-pop of the AMT

So I could use

Quickboost Engines for the F7F-3N

Wolfpack Wingfold set

Could anyone confirm

Thanks

Simon

Yes, it is a repop. Lone Star Models (Mike West) also does a cockpit, and leading edge intakes, and maybe something else. If you care, there might be some subtle (?) difference between the engine models of the -2 vs -3, but I don't know offhand. Could probably use better props and wheels (tyres) too.

bob

Ultracast will fix the props and replace the vinyl wheels ( if the Italeri box still has them )http://www.ultracast.ca/Aircraft%20Accessories%20-%2048%20Scale%20-%20F7F%20Tigercat.htm

Keep an eye on E Bay for the Cutting Edge cockpit. It an go for a reasonable price if lucky.

It's a surprisingly nice kit for its age, with fine recessed panel lines and plenty of parts, but I'm afraid I too succumbed to the aftermarket. I have the CE cockpit & gear leg sets, some QB gearbay doors, an un-badged set of wheels, but I'd not noticed the prop issue. Will have to pick a set of blades up at some point. Then I need to find the time to build it! :doh:

Are aftermarket propellers strictly necessary? I've havered over this, but I still harbour a suspicion that they could be fixed by cutting off the hub and mounting it on the other side, with a replacement spindle made out of plastic rod or wire. Then I wonder if that would leave them turning the wrong way, and I just can't decide.

Lone Star Models (Mike West) also produced replacement wheels, with seperate hubs and tyres. Makes paining much easier. I was sent a set free, to review, and to my shame have yet to do the review. My excuse is that I've still to finish my build. I'm doing the Fleet Air Arm example with folded wings, and I'm still trying to find out the placing of the jury struts. The photos I've seen don't show the attachment points.

Dave

Ultracast will fix the props and replace the vinyl wheels ( if the Italeri box still has them )http://www.ultracast.ca/Aircraft%20Accessories%20-%2048%20Scale%20-%20F7F%20Tigercat.htm

Keep an eye on E Bay for the Cutting Edge cockpit. It an go for a reasonable price if lucky.

The italeri kit has regular plastic wheels.

One a search, one build said the plastic eating vinyl was only in the initial issue of the kit, and later ones don't eat styrene, if you are not in a rush to build leave the vinyl tires next to some of the kit sprue and see if they react.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1388680744/Rubber+tyres

you could use some of the methods suggested here as well.

Obscuro resin also do Tigercat props, they are the same type as used on Hellcats, F4U-1A Corsairs and TBM 3 Avengers.

SAC do a white metal undercarriage, worth considering if you want a load of weight, though the real thing was a tail sitter with empty tanks!

215996d1352863457t-1-48-f7f-2-2n-tigerca

So you can legitimately prop up ;)

The Eduard etch set adds some useful detail and is quite cheap

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED48178

but no detail for the radar position.

here's what the Big H have

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=&code=&product_type_id=&scale_id=955&keyword_search=f7f&setPerPage=25&currency_id=

while were at it, the AMT did 3 versions, each with a different fuselage sprue.

F7F-2/2N - smaller tail, small nose

F7F-3 - larger tail, small nose

F7F-3N larger tail, bulged radar nose.

Italeri have only reissued the F7F-3N version, note the bulged nose of this is maybe 3/4 the of the right size, Cutting Edge did do a new correct size resin nose with a metal nose leg too.

There have also been firebomber conversion sets and decals made, a quick google will turn up more info.

HTH

Definitely replace the props, the kit props are aerodynamic disasters, and if props like that were

placed on the real thing the aircraft would be shaken to pieces. I am fortunate to be able to see several Tigercats at the P of F museum in Chino California. The -3N on display is a bit unique due to the spinners on the props, which was usually seen on the earliest variants of the Tigercats. If you have never been close to a real Tigercat you would be amazed at how aerodynamic and beautiful the aircraft is, and that for the time, the area-rule fuselage was a design that was ahead of its time. Like the Lockheed Super Constellation, there are no two cross sections of the same dimensions on the aircraft. I often wondered how well the Tigercat would have fared had they gotten into the war a year earlier. Would they have been able to go toe to toe with a Zero flown by Saburo Saki for instance? For that matter, how would the Bearcat have done under the same circumstances with the Bearcat flown by McCampbell? Obviously we will never find out.

Cheers

Also joining in here.. Picked up the AMT/ERTL-kit of the F7F 2/2N - I do not know much about the bird but I sure love the look! And that blue colour...

So those engines in resin - can I use them? What propellers could I use? Not really sure what to order there.. And decals seems tricky?

Simon

I currently have one of these on the go at the moment.

I used the lone star models resin cockpit. It was nicely detailed but was full of air bubbles as were the replacement tyres.

The wolfpack wing wing fold set is a cracking but of casting, would deffinately recommend that.

However I thought the SAC undercarriage legs were pretty rough and one handed if I remember correctly. Personally I think the kit ones would be ok if you're gentle with them.

The quickboost UC doors are also worth a look.

So with all said and done I agree with the above posts, it's a really nice kit and an enjoyable build that will certainly be very impressive when finished. And quite big too.

Enjoy

James

As has been mentioned already the kit props really do need to be thrown out and replaced with aftermarket ones. Heck, if you could obtain props from a couple of old Monogram Avenger kits that would be better than what came in the box. As for the vinyl tires a simple trick, if you care to use them is to give the wheels a coat of Future before you put the tires on, its what I did on a F7F that I have and years later they still haven't melted.

Hmm, don´t think I can get those props but worth having a look.. Any other options? From more modern, half-cheap kits? I don´t mind cannibalizing for that..

Good tip on the vinyl tyres. Did not plan to use them but if they actually are useable, maybe.. :)

Hmm, don´t think I can get those props but worth having a look.. Any other options? From more modern, half-cheap kits? I don´t mind cannibalizing for that..

Good tip on the vinyl tyres. Did not plan to use them but if they actually are useable, maybe.. :)

No, apparently unlike a majority of people I liked the vinyl tires, they have a very nice tread pattern to them and, of course no seam down the middle to try to get rid of. I was sort of stuck on the horns of a dilemma until I saw someone make mention of the Future trick. And as I said earlier it has been some years since I did this and the tires and wheels are just fine. As for props perhaps someone has a scrapped Corsair or you could find a good deal on a couple of Hobbycraft F4U-1 kits, they should be the same diameter as the ones that you need.