Well i only saw it last night,star wars new trailer,but its started already?

jetboy

• 1 month later...

Well...I didn't hate them but just way too much CGI and Hayden Christiansen just cannot act. Found them childish too. Good news is JJ is having sets and models built, so not all CGI.

All of the action shots are cgi, the models are for either for pre viz work, static shots or set pieces, pretty much the same as the prequels.

Sorry lost interest many years ago, watching Ewoks decimate the Empire stormtroppers was just a step too far.

Watched part of the first prequel in a hotel room when I couldn't sleep, it helped tremendously so I still only know what happens in the first 20 minutes.

Good point too, could teddy bear savages really take on a trained imperial force. Though - quote from Obi ""And these blast points, too accurate for sand people. Only imperial storm troopers are so precise" - really? Seemed to me they couldn't hit sh*t! apart from Leia's arm - once! Also they were cloned from an apparent Aussie (or possibly a Kiwi) and all had Aussie/Kiwi accents, clearly this was deemed annoying and bred out. How many died after saying "G'Day Lord Vader mate!, can you use that pointy red thing to open me tinnie mate!"

Oh the laughs...... :banghead:

I was singularly unimpressed with the prequels - dreadful script and appallingly wooden acting from Hayden Christensen didn't help!! Just could not take him seriously. Given the tragic story of a good man turning to evil he just came across as a whiny whinging teenage brat with all the charisma of a plank! Got the distinct impression Lucas just wanted to get shot of the films and rushed through them. Empire Strikes Back is far and away the best. I'm afraid Return of the Jedi just really lost it for me when those bloody silly Ewoks appeared. Totally ruined the film. In fact, I think a good film simply degenerated into utter farce the moment they appeared.

I was pleased to see JJ Abrams at the helm for the new films. He certainly breathed new life into the Star Trek "universe" with his two (so far?) superb S T films. I will however treat this new Star Wars film with caution. Wish to avoid the let down of the prequels. They could have been so much better.

Allan

I was singularly unimpressed with the prequels - dreadful script and appallingly wooden acting from Hayden Christensen didn't help!! Just could not take him seriously. Given the tragic story of a good man turning to evil he just came across as a whiny whinging teenage brat with all the charisma of a plank! Got the distinct impression Lucas just wanted to get shot of the films and rushed through them. Empire Strikes Back is far and away the best. I'm afraid Return of the Jedi just really lost it for me when those bloody silly Ewoks appeared. Totally ruined the film. In fact, I think a good film simply degenerated into utter farce the moment they appeared.

I was pleased to see JJ Abrams at the helm for the new films. He certainly breathed new life into the Star Trek "universe" with his two (so far?) superb S T films. I will however treat this new Star Wars film with caution. Wish to avoid the let down of the prequels. They could have been so much better.

Allan

I read somewhere that Return Of The Jedi was originally going to feature the Wookies instead of Ewoks, which sounds much better.

Ross.

Totally get and agree with everything you said there buddy, Hayden is King Plank of the Plank people. I wonder though, playing Devils Advocate...if you are of the right age when Star Wars was first released, you had the toys and it was your world....could the prequels have ever lived up to expectation?

I didn't like the JJ Trek at first - found it brash and a bit silly - the very white bridge all perfectly shiny and brightly coloured and the non-canon-ness of it. I thought the space battle bits were messy and chaotic. But I really enjoyed Into Darkness (I REALLY like the the design of the Klingon ships and what they have done with the make up - I expect thy will be the main baddies of number 3) so I have dropped my nerdy nit picking and decided to like them for what they are. I think it helps when you get actors with gravitas to help take it seriously, and Benedict Cumberbatch I thought was brilliant.

Funny you say that Ravens recently read exactly the same thing as Wookies live on a forest planet too. But they were dropped for being too technically advanced??!!! Wotevs beardy! (@G Lucas lol)

• Like 1

Totally get and agree with everything you said there buddy, Hayden is King Plank of the Plank people. I wonder though, playing Devils Advocate...if you are of the right age when Star Wars was first released, you had the toys and it was your world Spot on, I have loved the original since I saw it the very first time, and in fact I'm now "teaching" my nephews in the rights and wrongs of old vs new....

could the prequels have ever lived up to expectation? No....no,no,no.

I didn't like the JJ Trek at first - found it brash and a bit silly - the very white bridge all perfectly shiny and brightly coloured and the non-canon-ness of it. I thought the space battle bits were messy and chaotic. But I really enjoyed Into Darkness (I REALLY like the the design of the Klingon ships and what they have done with the make up - I expect thy will be the main baddies of number 3) so I have dropped my nerdy nit picking and decided to like them for what they are. I think it helps when you get actors with gravitas to help take it seriously, and Benedict Cumberbatch I thought was brilliant. I actually thought that was exactly what Star Trek needed, a good KUTA.

Funny you say that Ravens recently read exactly the same thing as Wookies live on a forest planet too. But they were dropped for being too technically advanced??!!! Wotevs beardy! (@G Lucas lol)

Wookies would have made a lot more sense. Of course if George reads this. he'll be bound to go through all three again and change stuff......ching! ching!

Sean

Edited by sean

No your not the only one, but I think the general consensus is that it's hard too that they could be really any worse than the prequels.

I did and do worry about the Disney thing but given something missed about our bitching regarding the prequels is actually how generally poor, convoluted and mostly unnecessary the story actually was so perhaps Lucas letting go might not be so bad?

• 1 month later...

George did a pretty good job at damaging his own property starting with the ewoks and then jar jar and he still has input in this film as well.

I fear that between Disney, George and J.J they will destroy the franchise, well for us older star wars geeks at least because I think it will only become more and more for children(it is Disney after all)

as evidenced by that ridiculous beach ball droid in the trailer or the young disney girl riding a speeder that looks like a fudgsicle.

I gotta say too that I agree with much said about the new trek, the casting was great! I enjoyed them BUT I couldn't get past some of JJ's (in my opinion) Horible design choices, the Enterprise looked terrible to me, the engineering hull was too pinched, and throwing a bunch of girders across a flight deck makes no sense nor does building a large spaceship on the planet.(and yes the bridge was just "un trek)

I know to some people these things didn't matter but it ruined it for me.

Still I dunno, going with real sets and making stormtroopers instead of cg ing them IS a hopefull step in the right direction?

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

The impression I have is that Mr. Lucas has little or no say in the new films. Hurrah!

A new trailer is to be released shortly, to precede the new Avengers film when it appears, or so I have read.

Funny isn't it?

How a guy can come up with such a brilliant Science Fiction franchise and then singlehandedly continually try to destroy it! lol