Gracing Southern African skies - Airfix 1/144 BAC 1-11

MikeW

This was a restoration / redo of an Aer Lingus build of many moons ago. The seam along the top of the fuselage looked like I had tried, and succeeded, to model the Grand Canyon. Remember seeing this one fly in Johannesburg as a kid, so with the help of S&M Decals, the Air Malawi BAC 1-11

AM3_zpscfaa580e.jpg

AM2_zps9061f0b9.jpg

AM1_zps8f5b2df1.jpg

And for the "with something else" photo, a fellow African, 707 ( Minicraft ) Air Mauritius

AM4_zpsc85a8737.jpg

• Like 10

Excellent !!!

Many, many years ago, my dad used to fly up to Blantyre on business, and I well remember the odd occasion when he used to catch the Air Malawi BAC 1-11. (Flights were normally via Vickers Viscounts)

Thanks for posting (and not forgetting the "(compulsory) with something else" photo)

:winkgrin:

mike

• Like 1

thats a nice restoration there mike, by coincidence i have just retreived a partly built aer lingus1-11 from the depths of the cupboard which was started back in 2000 and for various reasons got forgotten,planning to make it my next project. cheers. michael.

• Like 1

Very nice restoration. I have to do my VC 10 sometime and re do the Air Malawi decals as I flew in 7Q-YKH. I think I ought to get in touch with 26 again soon.

• Like 1

Lovely, can't beat the classic airliners, especially built this well :) Nice simple schemes that show off the lines well.

would love to see the VC10, 1-11, Trident released by Zvezda to the quality they're pumping out Russian airliners

• Like 1

Lovely 1-11 Mike, and a great refurb.

The 707 looks good too, as if you sorted the nose out. Got any more pics of it?

Cheers

John

Did not really do anything to the nose John. My SOP with Minicraft is to schmear the whole area around the cockpit piece with Squadron White putty, and then sand away. I end up doing this multiple times before the seams almost vanish. Any nose correction that happens in this process is truly accidental, and I can't claim credit.

Mike

Maur2_zps15c54768.jpg

Maur1_zpsa5f77dd3.jpg

• Like 2

Two beautiful models Mike - thanks for sharing.

There is something satisfying about refurbishing an old model if it works well. I'm in the process of re-doing an Easyjet A319 which was suffering badly from yellowed white enamel. It's going fine but I've done refurbishments in the past which have ended up being more work than building a completely new model!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...