747-300

feoffee2

I thought, maybe wrongly that the -300 was a -200 with and extended upper deck and the -400 was a new system refined, re engine version using the basic Stretched upper deck

Would it be a case of combining the -400 use with the wings and engines of a -200??

Should be a good starting point is nothing else.

I got the impression at the time that a lit of the majors who didn't order the -300 were waiting for the fully developed-400 because the -300 was not much of a step over the -200?

I thought, maybe wrongly that the -300 was a -200 with and extended upper deck and the -400 was a new system refined, re engine version using the basic Stretched upper deck

Would it be a case of combining the -400 use with the wings and engines of a -200??

Should be a good starting point is nothing else.

I got the impression at the time that a lit of the majors who didn't order the -300 were waiting for the fully developed-400 because the -300 was not much of a step over the -200?

I think you can only problem is the cost of using another revell kit as well as the 747-200 that is an option unless I find a cheaper option

Thanks

The -300 was basically, as Gary says, a -200 with the SUD (Stretched Upper Deck.) KLM in fact even converted some of their -200s to -300s simply by sending them back to Boeing and having the longer upper deck added.

You could theoretically use a -400 fuselage, but the wing root will be too long as the -400 had the aerodynamic fairing added to the leading edge (some -300s had this too so check your references - I believe Thai was one such example.)

The easiest way would be to build the Welsh vac, but if that's not your thing, get hold of a Revell -400 and remove the entire wing root fairing box, including the wheel bays. Then, get the Revell -200 and do the same. Add the -200 lower fairing and wheel bay area to the -400 fuselage, which with the -200 wings added will give you a -300, and finally add the -400 lower section to the -200 fuse, and once you've attached the -400 wings, you have 747-400F. SImples!

Tom

The -300 was basically, as Gary says, a -200 with the SUD (Stretched Upper Deck.) KLM in fact even converted some of their -200s to -300s simply by sending them back to Boeing and having the longer upper deck added.

You could theoretically use a -400 fuselage, but the wing root will be too long as the -400 had the aerodynamic fairing added to the leading edge (some -300s had this too so check your references - I believe Thai was one such example.)

The easiest way would be to build the Welsh vac, but if that's not your thing, get hold of a Revell -400 and remove the entire wing root fairing box, including the wheel bays. Then, get the Revell -200 and do the same. Add the -200 lower fairing and wheel bay area to the -400 fuselage, which with the -200 wings added will give you a -300, and finally add the -400 lower section to the -200 fuse, and once you've attached the -400 wings, you have 747-400F. SImples!

Tom

That's a great idea then no kits are wasted

Thanks

That is simple

Thanks

Edited by feoffee2

I had a crack at Tom's method and botched it. You need to be careful with the cuts around the wing roots. The panel lines on the RV -200 and -400 are not in the same locations.

Next time I try it I will just cut the humps off the forward fuselages and exchange them, A lot less messy. I have an Ansett -300 and SIA -400F to do (again)

Air India -300M's even had cf6-80's. They pretty much look like -400D's.

Don't forget to shorten the wing though; the -400 had a 6ft tip extension (not including the winglet) and an extra leading edge slat.

As far as I could tell the -300 is a -200 with an extended upper deck like the upper deck of the -400. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to convert a -400 back to a -300 but then it occurred to me that the simple solution was to take the upper deck from a -400 and put it onto a -200 to create a -300. I already had a Revell 747-100 and one of their 747-400s which is all I needed for the project. Doing it this way I also ended up with a shorter upper deck left over frm the -200, and a -400 kit missing the upper deck. I put the -200 upper deck on the -400 kit and ended up with a 747-400F. The -300 ended up in Ansett Australia colours and there are some decals available for -400Fs so I made that modek in KLM Cargo colours which went with the engine option in the kit I had. I hope this is of some help.