This is Trumpeter’s 1/24 Nakajima A6M2-N “Rufe” Floatplane. This has been on my shelf of doom for about 5 years for a very pitiful reason; I needed to get some weights to put in the main float and I didn’t have any. I put this aside meaning to get some weights, a couple of weeks went by and then I forgot about it. Sheesh, what a dunderhead am I! My goal is to clear out my shelf/shelves of doom by May 2015; a daunting task if you only knew how large a shelf it is. This is one off of the list. It is mainly an OOB build; the build thread is here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234970811-zero-floatplane;-a-big-rufe-rufe-finished;-well-almost/. There were a couple of modifications to the kit. I added Eduard seatbelts and I got stumped about a hole in the main float that just looked stupid. Kind people on this site who know a whole lot more about the Rufe than I told me the hole was for an oil cooler. I half-heartedly scratched an oil cooler inlet/vent. The major modifications to this kit were done on the beaching trolley. It was rebuilt to look like some photos as the kit version was somewhat simplified. This was an enjoyable build. The parts fit well, the kit is well engineered, and the detail is really good. I understand there is some shape issues regarding the fuselage aft of the cockpit, but I am not skillful enough or knowledgeable enough to correct it. The kit decals were used and they went down without a fault and behaved perfectly with the Micro Sol setting solutions. I would recommend this kit in a heartbeat if what you are interested in is an enjoyable build. It is, however really big once completed so have some room.

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

finish4.jpg

finish5.jpg

finish6.jpg

finish7.jpg

finish9.jpg

finish10.jpg

finish11.jpg

finish12.jpg

finish13.jpg

finish14.jpg

finish15.jpg

finish16.jpg

finish17.jpg

finish18.jpg

finish19.jpg

Here is the beaching trolley by itself.

finishbeachingtrolley1.jpg

finishbeachingtrolley2.jpg

And, last but not least, the infamous oil cooler that is difficult to see and probably no one but me will ever notice.

oilcooler.jpg

So the Rufe gets its own little shelf due to its size.

home1.jpg

So far it is playing well with its shelf mates

home2.jpg

As always, all comments are welcome.

• Like 22

Very nice work. Have the kit so thanks for the review.

Mark

I really enjoyed building the kit. It fits well, has a lot of detail. I would not recommend putting a whole lot of effort into the wing cannon as there is no provision for opening the wing hatches to show it. And, I very strongly recommend a few fishing weights in the nose of the main float or the kit will not sit right in the beaching trolley. Enjoy the kit and build it; you won't regret it.

• 3 weeks later...

:wow: Excellent! Being that big of a scale, it has nothing of the "big toy" appearance. It looks just real, and your weathering is just spot on! (now I'll have a look at the build thread, 'cause I wanna find out how you achieved that worn look)

Ciao

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...