What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Meatbox8 said:

A Merlin with what looked like day-glo on the nose and tail, a bit like 771's Sea Kings.  

Think that must be one of the new Noggy merlins..... I was at a particularly dull meet at AW the other week and one skimmed past the window ...looked sleek ....and Iccan't say I'm normally a fan but......

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Think that must be one of the new Noggy merlins..... I was at a particularly dull meet at AW the other week and one skimmed past the window ...looked sleek ....and Iccan't say I'm normally a fan but......

You'll have to enlighten me.  What's a Noggy?

Antonov An2 - based at Staverton for a few weeks.

Saw it twice yesterday.  Light blue lower, white upper - sounded very throaty.

Last week, cycling to work - a pair of C-130s at medium altitude.  Very dull drone.

Week before cycling home an A400 Atlas, pulling VERY tight turns, must have been about 80 degrees bank.

Very impressive, and I saw it turn in both directions.

45 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Of course it could have been one of the coastguard S92s......you live in Dorset ? Large helo which is also white and red :rolleyes:

I did wonder about that.  They do look rather similar, especially from a distance.  What is slightly odd though is that the main body of the aircraft appeared to be light grey rather than white and it was definitely day-glo rather than red.  Well, I say definitely but it was a hazy day and quite early (for me at least!)

5 hours ago, HL-10 said:

Can't get away from them when I'm at home!

Flew right over my house to land in the local park.

Airamb1.jpgimages upload

Airamb2.jpgimages upload

Airamb3.jpgimages upload

Airamb4.jpgimages upload

He gets around, this chap.  He was whizzing around in West Dorset last Saturday.  Apparently checking electricity pylons, I'm told.  It did have electricity written on the side in black letters.  Unless he's Plod of course. 

At 3.40 (ish) this afternoon, BAe 146 with a black or

dark blue tailfin stooging around over Scampton.

An hour later, 7 miles North of there, two Typhoons

in loose formation, 3000 odd ft heading South.

Ten minutes after that what looked like a BAC 111.

heading NNE (ish) up the A15 at about 2000ft.

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

He gets around, this chap.  He was whizzing around in West Dorset last Saturday.  Apparently checking electricity pylons, I'm told.  It did have electricity written on the side in black letters.  Unless he's Plod of course. 

East Anglian Air Ambulance 

A couple of hours ago a flock of Gru ( large cranes ) on their way south west for the winter. They are a magnificent sight, usually in large arrow head formations, but this morning they were quite low and circling in a large gaggle. By the time I found a camera they had drifted too far away downwind, missed again dammit.

• Like 1

Just had a civvy Huey going crabbing slightly sideways over the house at low level,......sweet,......happy memories and love that slapping rotor noise,......heaving over towards Rochdale from Oldham area

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

The was a formation overflight consisting of two Hunters in the ETPS raspberry ripple scheme, two Sea Vixens and two all white Vulcans. The formation split up and we were treated to an individual display by one of the Vixens. They all landed at the nearby airbase. I thought 'I can't wait to put this on the forum thread. No one can top this.'

Then I woke up. Dammit. It was all a dream. But I'm going to post it anyway because it was pretty vivid and I'm sure it would be a dream come true for many of you.

I'm really not sure why I dreamt of those particular types as none of them are in my top ten lists. But it was a great dream.

Oh well back to the reality of high level vapour trails and the local flying club's Cessna. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

Two CAC Winjeels, two PAC Airtrainers and a Harvard in close formation heading south over East Melbourne making a lovely racket :)

Edited by Pinback
Typo

Mr confused here.

Just had a Herc fly over. Nothing too confusing about that, but it had under wing tanks.

It was directly above me, so I couldn't work out the exact type, but we have either added tanks to our J's, found an old K kicking around or it was a bally foreigner!

Anyone shed any light on this?

Granted, it's been awhile since I last worked on Hercs.

Rick.