What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Currently in London at the moment. lots of civvie types both large and small around but the best one so far in the past hour was a green woodpecker seen outside of my window. Some of the best low level flying I've seen for a long time

• Like 2

Just had a Ukraine Air Alliance An-12 fly over.

Being a hardcore insomniac, I was wearing earplugs at the time (about 4.45 am) and i heard it clearly through the earplugs and above the noise of the pedestal fan *and* it was at 19,000 ft! Just how loud are those things??!!!

Edit: looks like it's about to land at Birmingham. I wonder how many people it's currently waking up?

Right, back to bed. Hopefully I'll get *some* sleep!

Edited by lasermonkey

This.

http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationmodules/ginfo/ginfo_photo.aspx?regmark=G-XXEB&imgname=G-XXEB001&imgtype=jpg

Not so much flying over, as landing outside.

I live quarter of a mile from Holyrood Palace (and the Scottish Parliament) and it's a fairly regular occurrence for helicopters to land in Holyrood Park and some member of the Royal Family to get in or out. There was a garden party at the Palace yesterday and the Queen and Chookie* were there, as well as Edward and Mrs Edward, and Princess Anne. Judging by their appointments today, it was Princess Anne who got on board, though I didn't see her.

*Chookie Embra, husband of Her Maj.

Was driving past the threshold of runway 30 at PIK on way from Ayr to Largs when a hulking great grey beast caught my eye. Turns out I was lucky enough to have seen the first visit of an A400 to Prestwick.

It was holding for take off at about 1500 and as we passed I had the windows open and thought it was bloody noisy, but that turned out to be 2 Hawks that had just blasted off down the runway that were out of sight until they were airborne!

Couldn't miss the A400 though, that thing is frickin HUUUGGGEEEE!! By the time I'd progressed round toward the other end of the airfield on the A78 I saw it climb out at an incredibly steep angle and in the turn the bank angle was equally as impressive.

Good catch for the day

• Like 2

G-XXEB again, just taking off. Didn't see who got aboard but there was someone in full naval dress uniform so possibly Princess Anne again. (No, it would be her husband in the sailor suit.)

Not home, but over work today to mark the retirement of RAAF Chief of Air Force Geoff Brown, a flyover consisting of:

• 1 F/A18F
  • 2 F/A18A
  • 1 Hawk
  • 2 King Air
  • 1 P-3C Orion
  • 1 E-7A Wedgetail
  • 1 C-130J Hercules
  • 1 C-17
  • 1 KC-30A

Not bad for 7 minutes!

G-XXEB again, just taking off. Didn't see who got aboard but there was someone in full naval dress uniform so possibly Princess Anne again. (No, it would be her husband in the sailor suit.)

It's just come back and it wasn't Princess Anne, it was the Queen herself (Gawd bless 'er), returning from a visit to Glasgow where she'd opened a new building at Strathclyde University. Not surprised she went by air as the train service is appalling at the moment - the track in a tunnel east of Linlithgow is being lowered so they can electrify the line and the alternative route takes about an hour longer.

Not so much flying over my house, more what's flying in work. We open the large shutter door to the warehouse to let some air in and in came this bad boy..

9DECE60B-AAA1-45DF-AD89-D87ECA2A4B66_zps

After two hours flying around and much squawking and being a general nuisance, he was tempted outside by the remains of a chicken sandwich. Beautiful bird though.

Edited by Airgunner
  • Like 2

Just got back from a weeks holiday in Wales (near lampeter). There were plenty of red kites fly around our cottage. Also had an f-15 come over low one morning. We drove to Aberystwyth on Tuesday and going through the hills we thought there was something wrong with the car as their was a loud noise, turned out to be a hawk flying through the valley at about the same altitude as us. Saw another one the next day further south

Mr Roman Abramovich had been holidaying on the west of Scotland last week, just happened to leave his private 767-300 sitting at Glasgow all week, well doesn't everyone have one! Think he spent most of the week on his £1.5 billion yacht, as you do. His private biz jet and heli made several appearances too. Lucky chap!

Eng

Mr Roman Abramovich had been holidaying on the west of Scotland last week, just happened to leave his private 767-300 sitting at Glasgow all week, well doesn't everyone have one! Think he spent most of the week on his £1.5 billion yacht, as you do. His private biz jet and heli made several appearances too. Lucky chap!

Eng

Makes a change for a Russian aircraft to be in Scottish airspace legally!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1