Jump to content

If you're one of the gradually reducing number of folks that aren't currently receiving notifications to topics you've subscribed to, or PMs you're receiving, first check you've got the correct address in your profile, then drop in and post your experience in this thread, remembering to tell us your email provider's details, which is the part after the @ in your email address.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

HP42

What's flying over your house? Thread #2

Recommended Posts

At 15.30 today I was in the kitchen and heard something approaching. I got to the door just in time to see 2xMirage 2000s disappearing into the distance and as I turned to go back indoors another two roared over banked about 60deg and pulling hard. I swear I saw a light coloured helmet in the last one which went right over the top of me at about 150ft and I could hear the vortices for a couple of seconds after they had passed.  Definitely the lowest I've seen outside an air display, it made my adrenalin pump although SWMBO wasn't too pleased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, a Ukraine Air Alliance An-12 at 26,000ft and making a complete racket. Probably best if I don't post the registration!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not over my house but at the office, the Qatar Emiri Air Force C-17 "MAB" (the one painted in the Qatar Airways livery) was at RAF Brize Norton for a few hours yesterday afternoon - it made a nice change to see an aircraft that isn't dull grey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not exactly over the house, but other with the walking group on Monday on the edge of Church Fenton airfield when a diamond nine formation of Tucanos come over twice with singleton above and to one side of them. Practising for their retirement parade away from Linton? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A yellow Gazelle has just flown over, heading west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the local Dornier Do 28 has just flown over, though the cloud base was too low to see it. A very distinctive noise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a first for me.

 

No time to grab my camera but a few minutes ago had a bright orange Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane at low level following the River South Esk from inland and then north along the coast skirting the edge of Montrose , amazingly quite and looking very much like a giant dragonfly in flight  ....... almost made me regret selling my Revell kit with the Erikson decals last month

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Antonov 12; get one or two a week; amazing how loud they are; hear a very loud prop drone, but even on clear day they are so high up spotting them is a task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While out for our Sunday afternoon walk a very low ex French Max Holste Broussard came very low over us seem to be following the A1136 probably operating out of. Humberside Airport nice sight and sound.

 

 

 

Regards

 

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A french gendarmerie helicopter circled over our hamlet at about 25m ( I kid you not, it was really that low ) at 1530 this afternoon. According to a friend the gendarmes were very active in the local town today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/01/2018 at 1:03 PM, PhantomBigStu said:

Antonov 12; get one or two a week; amazing how loud they are; hear a very loud prop drone, but even on clear day they are so high up spotting them is a task.

Do you live anywhere near Doncaster Robin Hood as they seem to come and out of there a lot and seem to go over us  on a regular basis. Today, heard two and according to Flightradar24, one was off to Prestwick and one to Gothenburg. I have only caught sight of them once, but the engine note is very distinctive and carries. The one I have heard about 10 mins ago was over Wakefield at 13,000ft and I live about six and half miles away.  Any idea what they are carrying? 

Edited by Martin T
Added questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another two AN12s within the last hour over Rothwell, one in and one out of Doncaster belonging to different airlines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Martin T said:

Do you live anywhere near Doncaster Robin Hood as they seem to come and out of there a lot and seem to go over us  on a regular basis. Today, heard two and according to Flightradar24, one was off to Prestwick and one to Gothenburg. I have only caught sight of them once, but the engine note is very distinctive and carries. The one I have heard about 10 mins ago was over Wakefield at 13,000ft and I live about six and half miles away.  Any idea what they are carrying? 

Nope, I’m down in Kent, normally go over at much higher altitude, that one last week was on Flightradar at 21k ft, think ones just gone over now though that one didn’t appear on the tracker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Apaches look like they're back. I heard them fly over yesterday and saw one today at around 4pm, heading back to base. Where base actually is, I'm not sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 12:47 PM, Des said:

Definitely a first for me.

 

No time to grab my camera but a few minutes ago had a bright orange Sikorsky S-64 Skycrane at low level following the River South Esk from inland and then north along the coast skirting the edge of Montrose , amazingly quite and looking very much like a giant dragonfly in flight  ....... almost made me regret selling my Revell kit with the Erikson decals last month

 

That will be the one currently working with Balfour Beatty helping erect pylons up in Glenfiddich Forest.  Scimitar posted up a picture a few days ago; the machine is based  not far from Keith.

 

John B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

 

That will be the one currently working with Balfour Beatty helping erect pylons up in Glenfiddich Forest.  Scimitar posted up a picture a few days ago; the machine is based  not far from Keith.

 

John B

Yes that is the one , hopefully will catch it when it returns for breaking down and shipping out of the country

Edited by Des
missed capital

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Des said:

Yes that is the one , hopefully will catch it when it returns for breaking down and shipping out of the country

 

Last I heard there was delay in the helilift operation while a minor hiccup in the supplied materials was sorted out. That may mean it going on for some days beyond the expected end date.

Edited by John B (Sc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×