Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

HP42

What's flying over your house? Thread #2

Recommended Posts

At Sea    1,130

Spitfire over my house in Somerset about 1600.  I didn't catch a very good look but sounded more Griffon than Merlin.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tonyot    13,456

Something very loud with props over Rochdale this morning (Thursday 14th Sept).....just above the clouds,....so didn`t see it,...nothing showing on Flightradar..... have a feeling that it could have been at Atlas,.....as apparently one was  flying around Hull a short while later and also the Lakes. I`ve never actiually seen one of these yet!

 

Cheers

          Tony

Edited by tonyot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Biggles87    3,149

They have a very distinctive noise, which once you've identified you won't forget. I hear quite a few of them around here but I've only actually seen a couple as they always seem to come on cloudy days.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daldroflas    31

It probably wasn't, but around midday on Friday I was driving on the A590 near the M6 junction when I saw what looked to me like a Fulcrum flying towards lake Windermere.

Whatever it was was flying at a few hundred feet in no particular hurry.

I'd seen more than a few Hawks and Tucanos in the week we'd spent up there in the lake district and have seen Tornados and Typhoons on previous visits.

Edited by daldroflas
Typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick Brown    2,934

G-VROE!

Heading NW towards Tenbury Wells.

Made my day!

Seen on FlightAware, but not FR24 or ADSB-Exchange.

 

Rick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HP42    372

Ok weird one. A mate of mine texted me to identify aircraft that had flown over his north west Leicestershire house this afternoon. He said there were two aircraft with what appeared to be twin boom tails. I showed him a picture of a Noratlas and he thought that was similar. I gather there is one flying but two?! He said a jet also flew with it. All sounds a bit bizarre to me. I did wonder if was the pair of Shorts Skyvans with 'twin tails' but he was adamant it wasn't after seeing a picture.

 

Got me beaten...I've no idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
iainpeden    144
21 hours ago, HP42 said:

Ok weird one. A mate of mine texted me to identify aircraft that had flown over his north west Leicestershire house this afternoon. He said there were two aircraft with what appeared to be twin boom tails. I showed him a picture of a Noratlas and he thought that was similar. I gather there is one flying but two?! He said a jet also flew with it. All sounds a bit bizarre to me. I did wonder if was the pair of Shorts Skyvans with 'twin tails' but he was adamant it wasn't after seeing a picture.

 

Got me beaten...I've no idea!

Somebody on another forum reported 2 vampires and mig 15 flying over Market Harborough, transiting from the Southport show to Duxford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HP42    372
On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, iainpeden said:

Somebody on another forum reported 2 vampires and mig 15 flying over Market Harborough, transiting from the Southport show to Duxford.

That sounds like it! I'll send him a piccy of a Vampire and see if it matches what he saw. It's certainly the right configuration -and an accompanying jet to boot, all in the right place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Paul J    5,275

Yesterday evening around 6 pm, a Travel Air biplane heading back to Shoreham I suspect!   One of our club members got a flight in it.... jammy beggar!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Karl    515

Might have been a couple of weeks ago by now but around 7pm we saw two Apache's followed by a Chinook, all heading North over the Yorkshire Wolds.

 

Karl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Biggles87    3,149

This morning at 10.00, a Mirage 2000 heading west at about 250m, followed about 1/12 min. later by another one which I did not see because the trees were in the way, If they were intended to be a pair they were certainly well separated. About two hours later another fast jet (  Mirage 2000 or Rafale )which I did not see as I was indoors.

Edited by Biggles87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
junglierating    340
On 21/09/2017 at 1:34 PM, Biggles87 said:

This morning at 10.00, a Mirage 2000 heading west at about 250m, followed about 1/12 min. later by another one which I did not see because the trees were in the way, If they were intended to be a pair they were certainly well separated. About two hours later another fast jet (  Mirage 2000 or Rafale )which I did not see as I was indoors.

Clearly spending your pension wisely in France somewhere...Orange maybe?

Quite jealous bet you veg patch is awesome not sure about your raspberrys tho😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Biggles87    3,149
3 hours ago, junglierating said:

Clearly spending your pension wisely in France somewhere...Orange maybe?

Quite jealous bet you veg patch is awesome not sure about your raspberrys tho😃

Hi we're in the Limousin actually, surrounded by cattle. No veg patch, but we do have some fruit trees which help keep us supplied with jam and chutney.

 

Cheers

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Local airport has someone doing Short hop touch n go’s in a  T-6 texan. Probably getting some Taildragger time in ? About every 30 minutes i hear a Radial power up and take off.

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×