What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

RAAF Roulettes.  Was in the Man Cave doing a spot of modelling, heard a fast moving turbo prop drone so ran out for a look, flew right over fairly low.  Ran in and grabbed my camera before they could come around again (they are in town for the Clipsal 500 car race this weekend and we often have display aircraft orbiting in our area), second pass were behind the trees and didn't come over again so unfortunately no photos.

Andrew

• Sad 1

Sunday around 3.30 pm two Merlins roared across my house low heading West.  Navy ones I presume heading back to VL maybe? Any one else see them?

About 1530 this afternoon, a very low Chinook flying parallel to the A2 road between Canterbury and Faversham then heading up towards the Medway towns.

Are the RAF earning a bit of cash by counting the potholes on this bit of road for Highways England?

At a pound for each pothole recorded that would more than cover their fuel costs........

John

We had two Typhoons generating sonic booms yesterday in my area and over other parts of the country, heard them myself but noise wasn't too bad here. A liner had radio problems and for a while traffic control had a trace not related to any liner so the two fighters were scrambled for identification.

The event immediately sparked a joke in the area around Bergamo, where the sonic booms were pretty loud and there's a big tradition of small companies working in constructions.. the joke was around the lines of don't worry if you break the sound barrier, we'll rebuild it as new !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

We had two Typhoons generating sonic booms yesterday in my area and over other parts of the country, heard them myself but noise wasn't too bad here. A liner had radio problems and for a while traffic control had a trace not related to any liner so the two fighters were scrambled for identification.

The event immediately sparked a joke in the area around Bergamo, where the sonic booms were pretty loud and there's a big tradition of small companies working in constructions.. the joke was around the lines of don't worry if you break the sound barrier, we'll rebuild it as new !

I'm in that area, and I can tell I not only heard the two bangs, but also experienced the shock wave they generated, with outer doors and windows shacking and all of that :frantic: 

And yes, right after the fact, a bunch of construction workers rebuilt the sound wall straight away :rofl: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have regular visits from Westland Apaches, often very low. 

Quite intimidating when the large gun turns to point at you as the weapons guy in the front turns to look....

Occasional Chinooks and a daily RAF or RN chopper from crosses from West to East. 

No commercial stuff, we are under the area the Army fly their drones, or would if they worked properly. 

Location is 4 miles south of Salisbury just off the A36. 

Edited by 224 Peter
Typo...

Yesterday saw 2x Hercs, high and slow.

Today, 2x Typhoons mid level and fast and loud. And to complete it a Hawk low and fast. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the first Tiger Moth of the year yesterday afternoon, closely followed by a couple of Chipmunks. Judging by the manoeuvring, I suspect that they may have been engaged in some air-air photography.

Soon after, we headed out to Lakenheath fen for a spot of birding. This got off to a good start when we saw three red kits before we had even left the village. Once at Lakenheath things were fairly quiet, nature-wise, apart from a few marsh harriers, the first swallow of the year and a water vole.

The highlight for me was a bloomin' great C-5 which had just departed RAF Lakenheath. It was still fairly low, climbing at a steep angle and doing a surprisingly tight turn. This was the first time I had seen a C-5 in the air, so worth the trip alone.

Lots of cool stuff flies past my office windows, as I'm close to final approach for Flagstaff Airport. Today, it was an EC-130H Compass Call.

ec-130H

Crappy camera, taken through a window with a UV covering, but you can just make out the aerials under the rear fuselage.

Edited by Paul Bradley
photo
  • Like 1

On 05/03/2018 at 8:31 AM, Paul J said:

Sunday around 3.30 pm two Merlins roared across my house low heading West.  Navy ones I presume heading back to VL maybe? Any one else see them?

Not goin' to be RAF ones since they passed on their cast off......:swear: keeps me in a job i suppose lol