What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Four interesting types overflew my place on Sunday. Linked with the Eastbourne show I suspect. Hurricane going west to east, Chinook same direction but in distance, BAC Strikemaster low and fast right over my house going west, homeward bound maybe. Probably G-UNNY, all over grey one with 'smokewinders'   and C-47 low and slowagain right overhead and heading back to nearby Dunsfold. Wife said to me "... see, you didn't need to go to the show,  it came to you!"

Just saw Hurricane R4118 and a Dragon Rapide fly over. Shuttleworth's doing a "fly alongside experience" today. On the first flypast, the Hurri had just caught up with the Rapide. On the second, it looked for all the world like it was doing attack runs on it! Sent shivers down my spine, it did.

Shortly afterwards a Do 27 appeared, though I doubt it was connected.

Earlier this afternoon there was a bit of a commotion in the back garden and our resident sparrowhawk was back. I've started calling him the terminator, as he seems to be  very good at despatching sparrows these days. I managed to get a couple of poor shots (wrong lens and taken through a grubby window).

DSC_1499

DSC_1500

I really need to keep the big lens on my camera. That way I'd probably have shots of the Hurri and Rapide, plus the sparrowhawk pics would be better.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by lasermonkey
Sausage-fingered typo.
  • Like 4

Out at the farmshop and got a fly past by a Tornado, first pass low and slow, wings unswept, second burners on and a full tilt departure. Followed moments later by a display by a Griffon Spitfire but too far away to see which on. About an hour earlier two Apaches headed that way too. I'm guessing it may well be Odihams families day?

There must have been another "fly alongside" that I didn't know about, because a short while ago the Rapide was back up, this time with Shuttleworth's Lysander. I was treated to four or five flypasts, the last one also looking very much like an attack run. The Lizzie looked surprisingly aggressive!

Cycling back from Jet Age yesterday afternoon:

A single Longbow Apache came over, ready to land at Staverton.

Followed a couple of minutes later by two more - or the first again and another.

Looked like they have a lamp under the nose rather than the cannon - is this a UK training feature?

Apart from the usual Cessnas, Shuttleworth's Gladiator was up and doing aerobatics. Another unusual sight was what I think was a Pietenpol Air Camper, though it was quite distant. It was definitely a small, parasol-winged light aircraft of similar proportion. I'll probably have a schuftie on the internet to see what else it might have been.

Oh, and a low-flying, small jet that flew past so quickly, I didn't have a hope of seeing it, though I tried!

About 10 mins ago ZH883, a Hercules C5 flew over on approach to Leeds-Bradford. It had 50 years of Marshalls supporting the Hercules tail art from last year. I wonder why it was coming into LBA on a Saturday evening. A week last Thursday morning had a Typhoon over, presumably doing a touch and go

Not only but also Cessna O-1E Bird Dog G-VDOG as one of thirty visiting light aircraft on Day 1 of a Fly-in at Broomfield Playing Fields adjacent to the Montrose Airfield Museum in Angus.     Hoping that Day 2 from 1000 to 1600 tomorrow Sunday 27.08.17 will bring as many equally interesting aircraft.    

An aviation event only 5 minutes from ones own teapot  and toilet is indeed a joy as is no queuing to get in or out , parking along the fenceline and only one short and very light rain shower - on the other hand no current military aircraft and no jet fuel fumes but you can't always get what you want !!!

A drive by really.

The front half of a camouflaged Gazelle, on a trailer,

heading South on the M1 earlier this afternoon.

On it's way home from an airshow perhaps?

On Saturday and Sunday, various things from the Scampton show.