What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Currently, where me and my self-propelled house on wheels are, just south of Orleans, an AdA C-160 Transall, no mistaking that big old barn door of a fin!

15 minutes ago, Antoine said:

South of Orléans?

So the invasion has started!

Trying to liberate your country of as much cheese, pate, patisserie and of course, wine as I possibly can over the next couple of weeks!

On 6/14/2017 at 8:25 PM, lasermonkey said:

pair of Apaches

On 6/14/2017 at 8:53 PM, Bordfunker said:

A pair of Apaches

I’ve often seen these following the M40/A40 (noise corridor?) into and out of town.

Anyone know where they’re off to?

I have to admit that the inner child escapes when I see them, and leaves me with a big cheesy grin.:D

Mart

23 hours ago, Wez said:

Currently, where me and my self-propelled house on wheels are, just south of Orleans, an AdA C-160 Transall, no mistaking that big old barn door of a fin!

Just as we were getting ready to leave the Orléans area today a C-17 flew overhead in the opposite direction to yesterday's Transall.  As the French don't have any C-17's I'm assuming it was RAF.

7 minutes ago, Antoine said:

Do you plan to start building your Mirage for the GB while wandering on French roads?

:wonder:

Whilst I'm living the carefree life of a camping cariste I'll not be doing any modelling as something is bound to get damaged in either the packing or the travelling and that would make me grumpy!

Besides, the more I bring with me the less wine I can take back, it's all about managing your priorities!

Current plan is to build the SH Mirage F.1CR in one of the ER.2/33 disbandment schemes however, if we get down to Sauviginy-lès-Beaune, I may end up changing my mind depending on what I see there...

9 minutes ago, Antoine said:

That's Savigny-les-Beaune, you may end up nowhere if you type this on your GPS.

It's a big collection, but do not expect anything other than wrecks.

Still off topic (:penguin:), will you go farther south?

Thanks for the tip, I know the collection is pretty derelict but it might provide some inspiration.  Also, they have their own wine which is another tempter.

As for going further south it depends upon the weather, we also have an appointment with Puy-du-Fou the following week so we won't be going too far astray. So far the weather has ranged from hot to damned hot and the forecast is for more of the same so I see me reason to stray further south.

Do you have any recommendations for places of an aviation kind between Dijon and La Rochelle?

Going back a couple of posts, that Transall was the first French military aircraft I'd seen in the week I've been here, I've seen more hot air balloons!

1 minute ago, Antoine said:

Can't really recommand this, as I never visited it, but you never know...

Seems to be light aircraft oriented, however.

Thanks, the Fouga Magister interests me and Angers is in the right direction for PdF.

Seen plenty of light aircraft over the past week including an autogyro which is something you don't see that often.

Took a run down to Ayr for a walk along the beach as the forecast was better down the coast than at home. As we passed Prestwick my daughter asked what the big jet was by the old Polar Air hangar, a very quick glance and it appeared to be a DC-10 and I never thought anymore about it, being a Saturday the place was likely to be very quiet.

Literally minutes after setting foot on the beach, Maddi again called over to me "Dad, what are those?". Two jets in a gentle left climbing turn......

Ohhh, yes!......

51A82335-5129-44D3-83C2-904F78DD8D18_zps

A8D2C520-8B46-47A8-9796-030D31916E9C_zps

CDB4AD9E-A4F9-48FA-948C-B93DC43A4C37_zps

These 2 Super Hornets, one a VF-103 high vis bird, had passed through last week on their way to Paris I believe. I was gutted I'd heard nothing about it, so today I was over the moon to have a.) seen a Super Hornet, b.) seen fast jets on a Saturday and c.) seen a Jolly Rogers aircraft. They literally passed right over head in an orbit whilst said DC-10, the Omega tanker, also got airborne. The Hornets then headed out Northwest splitting up to formate on the DC-10 as they disappeared out of view. Fortunately my wife had her 150-600 lens on her camera and snapped the above pic's, so I can't take the credit for these.

Also turned out to be an Armed Forces day event on at the Green so both the new Coastguard AW189 and the S-92 put in an appearance and performed nice low passes and orbits over the beach

All in all a great day out, apart from the sunburn I'm now sporting this evening!

Eng

• Like 1

At a friend's house in Irby about an hour ago and something big and loud and helicoptery sounding flew low over us. It was a Merlin with it's rear ramp open. Appeared to be overall in light grey, but aren't the ex RAF HC.3's still overall green?

Trevor

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Max Headroom said:

At a friend's house in Irby about an hour ago and something big and loud and helicoptery sounding flew low over us. It was a Merlin with it's rear ramp open. Appeared to be overall in light grey, but aren't the ex RAF HC.3's still overall green?

Trevor

A Merlin in grey? I'd guess they were Navy birds (the original kind not the ones knicked fromt the RAF).........ooh that last comment may get a reaction!! Ducks and runs for cover

24 minutes ago, Simon382 said:

... not the ones knicked fromt the RAF)

I think what you really meant to say was "the knackered ones sloughed off onto the FAA by the RAF so they could get lots of shiny new Chinooks instead".

• Like 1

Just had a formation consisting of two Dragon Rapides, three Tiger Moths and a Cessna of some description. Not something you see every day!

I saw the Rapides earlier when I was at the local nature reserve. One was G-AIYR and the other I didn't recognise. It seemed to be wearing RAF Transport Command colours.

I also noticed the three Tiggies way off in the distance.

I wonder what they were up to?

Cheers,

Mark.

edit: seems like the Rapide I didn't recognise was G-AIDL in newer colours. I haven't seen Delta Lima for some time, so that'll be why!

Edited by lasermonkey