What's flying over your house? Thread #2

HP42

Just been sitting in the sun dozing when I heard a familiar rumbling sound and a DC3 flew by about a kilometre away. The tail was a greenish colour but I didn't have time to get my binoculars so can't say any more than that.

An Alpha Jet (at least I think that's what it was, I only saw it as it was heading away from me) headed north over Oxford at about 1000 feet (guestimate). It didn't show up on ADSB Exchange. 

Driving down the M2 into Belfast earlier me and Mrs Hovis passed a large grey Airbus on finals into Aldergrove, can anybody confirm if a Voyager visited said Station today? (yesterday now)

Yesterday lunchtime I saw two single trail probably about 1km apart heading north, travelling faster than the normal airline traffic. Through my (not very powerful) binoculars all I could see were a couple of dots, probably Mirage 2000s.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:07 PM, lasermonkey said:

Not quite over my house, but the Airlander was clearly visible over Cardington. Nice to see an airship in the sky again, especially on such a beautiful day.

I can remember when the first airship for many years was made at Cardington.  I saw it in someone's back garden after it broke loose from its mooring in strong winds.  It was a bit deflated then. Crikey, I must be old! I can remember a few crashes in my early years. I was in the top floor classroom at school, Cedars in Leighton Buzzard, when an almighty racket went over. two minutes later an F111 crashed at Cranfield. the 'escape pod' worked a treat and both crew were unhurt, IIRC. Dad and myself went and had a look at that too, well what was left! He was on duty at Leighton Fire Station at the time of the crash and was called to it, but stood down halfway there. 

Just gone over loosely following the A15 North of Lincoln.

I think a Jet Ranger in formation with what I thought was a Tucano,

though I only got a quick glimpse through the house window.

Bit late at night on a Friday for the RAF, it may have been a PC 12.

Returning home from walking the dogs this morning, a Transall in what seemed to be desert camouflage appeared from behind some trees in a steep bank and then proceeded to follow the contours at about 250ft agl. Very impressive to see a large aircraft being thrown around at low level.

• Like 1

I used to live close to Blackbushe when there was a Ju52 there, the first time I heard it I thought someone was rattling a stick around the inside of a corrugated dustbin x3.

Years later the one painted in Lufthansa colours came to Heathrow and that sounded much better.

Not my house but two Dassult Rafale fighters landed at Cambridge this morning,scared the hell out of me as they arrived as I was walking between the hangers.I assume they are here for Duxford this weekend.

16 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Not my house but two Dassult Rafale fighters landed at Cambridge this morning,scared the hell out of me as they arrived as I was walking between the hangers.I assume they are here for Duxford this weekend.

Indeed they are, I saw them do some practice runs/displays yesterday at Duxford. Some elderly folks who had come for a quiet potter around the museum were close by and were not amused by the volume when one did a solo aerobatic display just after lunch. As always with modern jet fighters, I was impressed by just how rapidly they can change direction (there's a good video of a display by them last year here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsVAO_U78Qg)

Flying over my house, and then over my son's school as I picked him up on Thursday, and also heading for Duxford, one of those tilt-rotor Ospreys. 

• Like 1

Something odd, was out in the garden and saw a vapour trail from something, too high to see quite what, heading northeast, went inside and checked flightracker, no flights that it could have been, every flights heading north in the southeast where gatwick or stansted depatures so not ones that could have flown over. Mysterious 

A busy weekend at Cambridge Airport, the French Air Force arrived with a pair of Rafale's on Friday, based here for the Duxford show.

062_zpsarohhflm.jpg

Their support plane arrived later in the afternoon to drop off some gear and then retured to France. 

006_zps9ue0kumu.jpg

Then Sally B decided to do some circuit bashing.

005_zps1hyeoetw.jpg

gazza l

• Like 5

On Thursday lastweek, a pair of Mil Mi-171 helicopters passed fairly low over while I was waiting for a tram.

Today, again while waiting for a tram, two pairs of Aero L-159 ALCA aircraft flew over the centre of town.