Airfix 1/72 F-14A Tomcat VF-14 'Tophatters', Dublin 1996

Hey everyone and here's Tomcat #3 from me this year - yes, it's Airfix's F-14 in the re-issued 'blue' box with the box-top scheme of VF-14 Tophatters in 1996 when the USS JFK visited Dublin with her air wing. I had some pictures of that visit back then, but they've been lost somewhere along the way!

The full build log is here but just as a quick summary:

Kit: Airfix 05013

Build: As per instructions but with rescribed panel lines (first time!) using RB productions scribing tool (excellent)

Extras: Ejection seat rings from wire, belts from Tamiya tape. Fuel tanks, main gear wheels and TCS seeker from spares box. Nose probe from wife's sewing set!

Paint: Humbrol acrylics brush painted. Future, Flory Models wash. Matt coat.

Decals: All from kit

Markings: BuNo 159863 (should be AC101, not AJ 201) but I'm not worrying!

Airfix_Tomcat_F14_4R_final_zps79c32a10.j

Airfix_Tomcat_F14_5Rfinal_zps0409aad6.jp

Airfix_Tomcat_F14_4Lfinal_zps2c271c2e.jp

Airfix_Tomcat_F14_3Lfinal_zps4d385cc0.jp

The detail is very much 70's Airfix in places (e.g the burner cans and shallow u/c bays) and there's zero engine detail, so she'll need engine covers at some stage. And I've just noticed an aerial or two missing.

But I must admit, I had an absolute blast building it, I think she looks like a Tomcat and am really chuffed how she turned out.

Thanks for looking...and onto the next 'Cat!

All the best,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 20

G'Day,

Very nice - I built this as a kid years ago in the red "Wolfpack" markings.

Yours looks much nicer than mine ever did!

Nice job. Been a while since I built the old Airfix F14. I also remember the JFK visit vividly. Particularly the flypast on the Sunday before the 'boat' arrived. The formation of mixed, F14s. F/A18s, Vikings, Hawkeyes and Prowlers came straight over my house well out in the suburbs. The noise was an extraordinary unearthly mix of jets and props. One of my sister's kids in the garden screamed in terror. I noticed one F14 outside the formation, clearly a camera ship. I wonder if that video ever made it onto youtube?

I went to the static display at the airport which was held on the ramp where my flying club was based. It was weird seeing all those Navy aircraft sitting there where normally sat the Cessna 150 I had a share in! From a modelling point of view seeing those naval aircraft up close. The roughness and patchiness of the paint stood out for me. I didn't feel so bad about my shoddy paintwork after that.

The crews were very open and chatty but I don't think they had experienced aviation enthusiasts like us before. Someone asked the F14 pilot a question about the upgraded F14s. He didn't know but someone from the crowd piped up with the information. 'You guys seem to know more than me' was his reaction. Remember this was before the internet made everyone an expert.

Thanks for reminding me of that time. I doubt we'll see another carrier visit Ireland until the name one for Wiliam Jefferson Clinton!

• Like 1