Airfix Classics:Boeing 737 and Boeing 747 1/144

Here are some Airfix kits that get a frequent bashing in some forums.

Well they may very well show their age but I found them interesting to build.

Airfix' 747 is somewhat of a special case as many aspects of the kit are quite wrong compared to the original.

I tried to fix some errors like the engines as good as possible and the landing gear.I replaced some parts of the landing gear with parts taken from a Revell 747-200 to get a more accurate shape like the maingear doors.

I filled the gap in the engines with filler and sanded them smooth then primed them with Tamiya white primer.After drying the silver and orange was sprayed on.

Some other parts,like the too wide tail I left as it is.It would have been way too much work to get it fixed and my experience in correction work on model kits was not that good then.I could have used a tail taken from a Revell 747-200 but I didn't want to cut up one oy them for spares...

The wingtip antennas were made of toothpicks.

The decals are mostly from the box but they were hard to deal with.Windows and other deatils come from an aftermarket 747 detail set.

Thats all I did to make it look somewhat like a 747.

It was an interesting experience but upcoming 747-100s and -200s will be Revell kits...

The 737 was much more easy to assamble.Just to get the wings alligned was a task.

For this one I opted for another exotic scheme.Air Tanzania.

Its very colourful and fits the "Baby Boeing" well.

Enjoy...

2013-06-23181813_zps278b1bec.jpg20130625_210906_zpsd3c47d2d.jpg2013-02-06132820_zps6701c0cd.jpg2014-11-25234138_zpsb3ba8be8.jpg2014-11-25234521_zps29aed2e9.jpg

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 9

Another pair of beauties! Who is the manufacturer of the Air Tanzania set:? Twosix?

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thank you

Yes the decals are from Twosix.Besides the 737-200 the set contains some extra parts for the 737-300 Air Tanzania also operated.

Regards,

Alex

Edited by Alex1978

Great pair,love the Braniff scheme.the same kit is near the forty quid mark on the second hand market right now.

Thank you.

Yes the kit reaches some very high prices on the net now despite its many flaws.

I got mine together with 3 other Airfix 747s as a set sold by a collector on a Swiss auction platform at a very reasonable price.