Another 72nd Scale Ventura! SAAF GR.V- Almost from the box! FINISHED

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Having gone to town recently with a 72nd scale Ventura Mk.II using loads of aftermarket resin, (see link here);

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234969058-ventura-mki-464-sqn-raaf-2-group-172nd-scale-finished/

I`ve decided to build the Academy PV-1 kit as a Mediterranean based Ventura GR.V using no aftermarket parts whatsoever with just spares box parts,plastic card and other bits and bats to add to the kit.

Of course the cockpit as provided in the kit is pure fantasy for a Ventura so this was altered using an old Airfix A-26 flightdeck along with plastic card bulkheads etc and the Wireless Ops desk was from the spares box too,..as were the radio`s.

DSCF2280_zps05e531c1.jpg

To save on photos the above view also shows the filler applied to cover the erroneous entrance door on the right hand fuselage half and also the amount of filler applied to the engine nacelles.

Once the interior is finished and detail painted the fuselage halves can be joined and the wing and tail parts fitted. More filler is also needed on the tail fins to fill in moulding holes and sink marks can also be found in various parts of the fuselage too. More filler was applied to the fuselage join to smooth it out. The engine cooling gills details have been re scribed deeper and the section behind them has been filed down to make them more representative of the original.

As with most of my Ventura models a set of sun screens were also added to the canopy using wire for the rails and tissue paper soaked in white glue for the white canvas cover.

DSCF2304_NEW_zps6f813078.jpg

DSCF2303_NEW_zps5bb21379.jpg

This is how the model looks so far after 2 days of modelling,...

DSCF2291_zps661582a7.jpg

,....Time to find a suitable colour scheme. Whichever one is chosen the engine intakes on top of the nacelle will need to be altered as they are wrong,......although they were delivered with standard intakes as per US Navy a/c most of those in the Med were converted. Many RAF operated Ventura`s in this theatre had Baltimore style Vokes air intakes and SAAF aircraft had their own particular intake style.

Below is my representation of the Baltimore style Vokes filter on a previous model;

mx-bluebackground6_zps0029943b.jpg

And here is my represetantion of the SAAF style, again on a Ventura model which has since been finished;

d29_zps4c309b29.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

PS- I have photos of some really nice SAAF Ventura GR.V`s based on Gibraltar but the unit markings on the rear fuselage would require some fine detail hand painting,....so I`ll have to have a practice with these first before deciding!

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 7

Hiya Folks,

Having failed to find any suitable decals to help with the unit markings it looks like I`ll be busy with a small paintbrush later! I have a fall back plan and if my attempts are rubbish I can roughly over-paint them and reproduce an aircraft which had them roughly covered up. Here are some of the markings that I want to replicate;

First the 22 Sqn SAAF `unofficial' `little man' (a bee!) on a torpedo insignia;

2d-VenturaJArt1jpg_zps3472fae5.jpg

Plus a Disney Mickey Mouse cartoon applied to the same aircraft by Disney artists on the production line;

2e-MickeyMouse-thereslotsofgoodjarslefth

And here is another marking on a different Ventura which may be a reproduction of 22 Sqn`s official unit marking?;

VenturaEagle_zps96d8445e.jpg

Anyway back to now,....here is a photo depicting the SAAF style of intake on a Ventura Mk.I;

d14_zps8f11a5e2.jpg

And the same intake on a preserved Ventura GR.V at the SAAF Museum, photo by Dean Wingrin from the net;

_MG_7304-1_zps7ef39aa6.jpg

And then my attempt at replicating this. First the front of the kit intake was cut away and the remaining section was sanded to shape. A section of spares box intake was then slotted inside the cut out and overlaps the front of the cowling. When the glue is dry the overlap will be cut straight and the gap in between the new intake part and the kit section will be filled and sanded to shape to match wartime photos, although the restored SAAF Museum Ventura has this part open;

DSCF2305_zps24e75f01.jpg

DSCF2310_zps3dbf8017.jpg

Since the progress photos were taken both intakes have been modified and the filler has been applied, but I ran out of daylight to take photos. If anybody is interesed I`ll take some in the morning.

All the best for now,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

I'm always interested in your builds so I'd like to see some more photos, and know what thw spares-box bits you used were from.

Cheers,......the spares box air intakes were exhaust covers from a Revell Halifax kit. One was cut in half and used for both nacelles. I`ll take another progress piccy in the morning before I start applying some paint.

All the best

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Really enjoy your builds.

This is a great example of research of a particular/individual aircraft and then replicating on the model creating an accurate example

Looking forward to more of the same

Roger

Thanks for all of your very kind comments folks,

Another quick update to show the finished intakes from yesterday although the photos are not brilliant!;

DSCF2318_zps6f9d3d3a.jpg

DSCF2321_zpse4645a58.jpg

I`ve since started the painting and used a rattle can of white primer for the undersides,....although the rest will be brush painted,......in the US Navy tricolour scheme.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot

I may have to seriously consider making a start on my Ventura kit to be finished as an RCAF target tug! This thread is seriously affecting my rest between modelling time....

However...nice work so far Tony. What and where is the new entry door outline?

Hiya Paul,

I would be nice to see those lovely Avieology decals put to good use on an RCAF target tug and I`d love to see it!

In answer to your query,..the entrance door is on the left hand side of the fuselage directly above and behind the wing trailing edge. The kit also has an identical door on the other side but this was filled and sanded smooth as it is incorrect.You can see the entrance door on the third photo.

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,

Here is the next update,..painting is taking place,.....having used Tamiya rattle can spray white for the undersides the sides were brush painted using an old bottle of Aeromaster Intermediate Blue and the uppers have just received their first coat of Polly Scale Sea Blue;

.DSCF2323_zps32385c18.jpg

Luckily I just managed to get the photo done before I lost light for the day and since taking it I`ve since completed the painting of the main colour scheme and started upon my Mickey Mouse artwork! The prop bosses were painted Intermediate Blue with spinner tips in hand mixed orange and I have also painted over the dark patches on the fins as not all RAF/SAAF Ventura`s had this additional camo!

Cheers for now,

Tony.

Edited by tonyot

Hiya Folks,

Interest in this one seems to have waned a bit but nevertheless here is the next update,.....paint is now on;

DSCF2328_zps1ee700b1.jpg

and I`m attempting to apply the artwork starting with Mickey Mouse,.....which doesn`t look much like Mickey so far and might never!;

DSCF2329_zps8c29bb5b.jpg

I`ve found some SAAF roundels in my spares box but I do wish that somebody would do a sheet of SAAF wartime roundels and fin flashes with orange replacing the red,.....both early A/A1 & later C/C1 plus B Types too,.....any decal manufacturers out there??

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Cheers Beard,

It is nice to know that somebody is interested in my blathering!

Smy decals from South Africa - I have sheets with few applications in mind so could split them for you if you are interested

Thanks Graham,

Much appreciated,...I`ve sent you a PM and it is very kind of you to come to my aid yet again!

Ta,

Tony

Thanks fella`s,......I may have buggered things up now with the artwork,.......having put the decals on I`ve had a go at finishing Mickey Mouse off and also started painting the 22 Sqn insignia, but I`m not enthralled with it so far and the jury is still out yet,...I may paint over everything and go for plan B yet!

Here are the decals on;

DSCF2333_zpsb4cff244.jpg

and a close up of the artwork,.....I`ve used part of a wasp decal from the spares box to help wih the body of the `Little Fella' and as my original text box alongside Mickey didn`t look right I`ve painted over it and used a decal from a US Navy Ventura to represent the original.

DSCF2334_zps79050e1c.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 2

Cheers Beard, I`ll have more updates soon.

Very nice Tony. I've been inside that SAAF Ventura you pictured earlier ;)

You lucky devil Monz,...... I`ve never actually seen a Ventura, never mind been in one! We have one of the ex SAAF Mk.I/II`s at RAF Cosford but it is in long term storage awaiting restoration, which is a shame.

Cheers

Tony

Hiya Folks,

Well I`ve done my best with the artwork and here it is;

DSCF2340_zps900b9b16.jpg

At least it looks better from a distance!;

DSCF2343_zps3f5263f9.jpg

The leading edge of the fins was also roughly painted using Sea Blue to replicate the rough application of this colour to cover the bare silver areas after the rubber de icing boots were removed. The de icer boots were also removed from the wings and tailplane, hence the lighter Intermediate Blue was applied to cover the bare silver here too,.....apparently this was done because the rubber suffered in the hot sunshine, dry heat and salt laden atmosphere of the Med, especially Gibraltar.

Time to put some matt varnish on now and start to finish it off,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1