What was I thinking? Revell 1/32nd scale Nightfighter

I know,I know,its truly horrid,there is so much wrong with it,the cockpit is completely made up,the props and spinners are in a league of their own,raised panel lines,over done fabric effect on the ailerons,etc.,etc.

11032scale_zps299ae86f.jpg

But I think with a bit of modification and a trawl of the spares box,I could make it passable,its a challenge if nothing else :)

And I actually enjoy trying to "upgrade" vintage kits,This is what I did with the old Revell 109F.

molders_zps54091cc9.jpg

Or it could just end in tears!

Cheers

Andy

• Like 3

..will be looking on with interest! Eduard did a lot of etch for this one at one time (an internal and external set) and I believe someone built the whole caboodle in an old issue of FSM...will dig it out if interested..

Edited by FalkeEins
  • Like 1

:popcorn: This will be one to watch!

"What was I thinking of..." Errrmm, you felt the need to be challenged in a Herculean way that other, mere mortals, would quail at? :wicked:

Christian the Married and exiled to africa

• Like 1

Heh heh. I've got the 1/32 Beau, only because at the end of the day at a local show I looked again, trying to come up with ANY justification, and the guy said, "Five bucks and its yours." I also have the 1/32 P-38, but that one I can almost convince myself is "rational" (there's that word again), since it is a type I particularly like. Maybe when the P-38 STGB rolls around...

Welcome!

bob

..will be looking on with interest! Eduard did a lot of etch for this one at one time (an internal and external set) and I believe someone built the whole caboodle in an old issue of FSM...will dig it out if interested..

Cheers,That would be a big help!

Andy

I think I may have "bitten off more than I can chew" with this!Still,I'm having fun...of sorts :)

Progress so far,As I'm learning as I go along I decided to just concentrate on one wing,to see what I could sensibly manage,sanded down the raised panel lines and scored new,slightly more accurate ones,cut out the flaps,but had to add extra with plastic card to get it all to match up,had a trawl of my spares box,found a more appropriate wide bladed prop,and old Hasegawa prop bosses from the 109 kits,which I had replaced with MDC replacements.(The kit supplied version is alongside for comparison.)

wing_zps833fc627.jpg

This photo shows the reasonably good kit supplied engines,and the modified weapon pod,with the kit supplied version in the inset box.

engines_zps8ec5ef3d.jpg

Cheers

Andy

It looks like a handful Andy, you have my admiration for taking it on. I'm absolutely certain that I wouldn't have the patience nor the staying power to get anywhere near completing a kit as flawed as that.....it would be the shelf of doom or more likely the sin bin very quickly!

Max

Cheers guys,one thing I am really struggling with is cockpit details for this 110,its supposed to represent Martin Drewes aircraft,after a bit of research it appears he had schrage musik installed,but behind the pilots seat? Any pointers would be very helpful.

Andy

I've got a note about this somewhere Andy, I'll post it if I can find it.

Max

"..... this aircraft's "Schräge Musik" (Jazz Music - oblique cannons mounted in the cockpit of the fighter to shoot at the British bombers vulnerable belly) was not in the then standard side-by-side position, but just behind the pilot's seat, not in front of the "Bordschüetze"(Gunner), which was far more common at this period. This information was supplied in a fax sent by Erich Vorholt, Drewes armourer at that time, who is still living in Germany.

The nose carried the factory standard four 7.9mm MG, and not the more familiar 30mm cannon. Drewes told me that he did not like the cannon, and instructed his ground crew to exchange them for the machine guns, because the cannons blasted huge pieces of the bomber. These could seriously damage his fighter, as the shooting distance was never beyond a mere 35 metres!"

• Like 1

Modified the rudder shape to look more like the G,sanded down and started to re-scribe fuselage panel lines,cut away and dropped ailerons,working in my usual pristine,orderly, and organised work space. ;)

fuselage_zpsf9a52ad7.jpg

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Been beavering away at various bits and pieces,Thanks to a pdf that FalkeEins kindly sent me,I realised that I hadn't thought about the "bumps" on the nacelles for the upgraded engines,luckily I still had the "bulges" from the Ancient Revell 109,so they got grafted on as a suitable replacement.Which gave me a rare feeling of justification for never throwing anything away! :)

WINGBUMPS_zps1a7fdf02.jpg

The majority of my time has been spent trying to do something with this!The kit supplied cockpit,look at the detail on the control panel,its breathtaking!

ORIGINAL_zpsb8febbf5.jpg

This is where I'm up to,to date.Scratch built bordenfunker and gunner seat,floor cut away,and cannon bay added,roll bars and radar panel,spent cartridges bag,improved control panel and side-wall detail.

COCKPIT1_zpsa1731c67.jpg

Andy

• Like 2

Thanks Guys,appreciate it. JohnT PM sent re info,Thanks!

I am enjoying trying to upgrade this old kit,but I do set myself a "no more expense" rule,Mainly because I'm basically tight ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well,That's the Chrimbo deccys packed away for an other year,Hope all you fellow "Zerstorer" builders have had an excellent Xmas and New Year,Time running out fast so best crack on,almost completed Cockpit with "Schrage Musik" installation,many thanks to JohnT for the picture of the cannon in situ.

musik_zps77bbd7e4.jpg

Andy