MGB658 Scratch built

Hi Kev, have you been watching reruns of the "Texas chainsaw massacre" ? :winkgrin:

Looking good and immense respect for the "big brass one's " that gave you room to do major surgery on the build.

Respect my friend, and lots of it. This will be a fantastic build :thumbsup::coolio:

Thanks for the support in my time of need :banghead:

Martin you should have gone to specsavers :winkgrin: I promised to have it cleaned up tomorrow.

Talking of glasses . . . . .

I think I read on one of your builds Martin that you've got special modelling glasses. I couldn't get on with optivisors / magnifiers so I used 4 x reading glasses off the shelf in front of my standard reading glasses, much easier IMHO.

Recently had the annual eye test and asked for and got 2 pairs of x4 magnifying glasses set for my eyes for £50, fantastic but I have no excuse now.

By the way I can still drop the original x 4 glasses on the front for x8 magnification. At least I get a preview of the macro lens lol.

Enjoy your modelling

Kev

• Like 1

Talking of glasses . . . . .

I think I read on one of your builds Martin that you've got special modelling glasses. I couldn't get on with optivisors / magnifiers so I used 4 x reading glasses off the shelf in front of my standard reading glasses, much easier IMHO. <...>

Kev

My setup is: I pair normal corrective (I have bad astigmatism), one pair of x3 reading glasses and then the top half is another x1.5 on top of that:

Go on - laugh... Everybody else does :D

20150201_211057_zpstliyxhyu.jpg

• Like 7

One of the guys who I learned to tie flies from always recommended this sort of setup. He referred to them as "supplementary loops", and reckoned a 1.2-2x pair for general work (down to about a size 18), ormore for very small stuff.

Thanks for all the kind comments

John_W Certainly a diorama, probably along the lines of the opening pic. Lights not yet decided.

On to Mark 3 of the chartroom windows :banghead:

I decided the chartroom windows wern't deep enough and the corners needed a larger radius plus the centre roof line wasn't high enough.

Planted a 1mm strip on the top to gain height and give me room to recut the windows (in situ a job I wasn't looking forward to).

Last one! Thought I'd take a picture in case it went in the bin . . . . .

P1070657 (Copy)

The finished item

P1070658 (Copy)

P1070659 (Copy)

P1070660 (Copy)

Well pleased, now its on with the roof

Thanks for stoppping by

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 3

I shall really enjoy watching this one come on! Been otherwise busy - packing and house hunting (successfully) - so it's nice to come back to some really great stuff.

F

One of the guys who I learned to tie flies from always recommended this sort of setup. He referred to them as "supplementary loops", and reckoned a 1.2-2x pair for general work (down to about a size 18), ormore for very small stuff.

LOL...I need +3 for really close stuff now. Fly tying kit is well worth looking at for some useful tools and materials....

F

Well I've spent three days detailing the wheelhouse, amazing how long the little bits take :mental: There are people out there that build a kit in three days . . . .

P1070679 (Copy)

P1070680 (Copy)

P1070683 (Copy)

There were mutterings early about the kitchen sink, thought that inappropriate but a tea urn, thats another matter . . . .

P1070685 (Copy)

and of course lights

P1070687 (Copy)

and before anyone asks the parralel rules, dividers, urn & lights do not work, do you think I'm daft. Please don't fell obliged to answer that question :fight:

In case anyones interested all the tubular sections were cut with a modell knife

Place the blade at 90' to the tube and roll the tube back and forth using the blade, make sure you use the full length of the blade on larger diameter tube. I've cut up to 6mm diameter using this method.

P1070674 (Copy)

P1070675 (Copy)

P1070676 (Copy)

Thank you for visiting me in the institution

Kev

Edited by longshanks
  • Like 13