MGB658 Scratch built

I've started replacing the photobucket pics but there is a long way to go ……. bitter sweet seeing the comments from Julian, Needed to start some modelling. As its been a while I thought I'd just place the fittings around so I can see what's next

P1090183 (Copy)

P1090191 (Copy)

P1090184 (Copy)

P1090185 (Copy)

P1090187 (Copy)

P1090188 (Copy)

P1090189 (Copy)

P1090190 (Copy)

I reckon the worst of the scratch building is over, so it's downhill from here LOL

Watch this space

Kev

• Like 10

Hi Kev.

Most of the original work you did on this pre-dates me on BM, but I've just done a quick catch up on this thread. Incredible and inspiring work. Some ideas and techniques for me to try out on the Vosper I think!

An absolute master class in marine modelling in this scale. Fantastic work.

Terry

• Thanks 1

I've just spent the evening reading this thread from start to finish, very impressive work indeed and it's hats off to you Kev for getting thus far. Let's hoping that the mojo has returned and work continues to the usual high standard. Learnt a lot, carry on good sir :poke:

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Kev but unfortunately it's a magazine build (AMW) and so can't be shown until after the finished article has been published or the publishers get a bit miffed. Luckily and unusually it doesn't have a deadline attached so I can take the time to get it right. Must say that your build here is truly inspirational, particularly the interior detailing and will definitely be mentioned in dispatches. Please hurry up and finish it so I can point folks in the right direction as to what can be achieved, (not least myself :winkgrin:).

I have to agree the D is a fascinating subject and while the CC kit is good there are a few issues with it which I'll address in the build. I'm hoping that publishing builds of these models will help promote the less well-known classes of warship to the modelling masses and that more companies will take up the cause. At the end of the day, they make for great looking marine models! 

Melchie

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 3

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:49, general melchett said:

so can't be shown until after the finished article has been published or the publishers

Quite understand must keep the Hoi Polloi in there place 😉

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:49, general melchett said:

I'm hoping that publishing builds of these models will help promote the less well-known classes of warship to the modelling masses and that more companies will take up the cause. At the end of the day, they make for great looking marine models! 

Couldn't agree more

Well having looked long and hard at what I've got so far I've decided I needed to sort out the myriad of deck fittings before I can paint the deck

So....

Started with the goose neck vents, simple brass rod ( heat to cherry red and allow to cool). The deck flange is a circle with the centre drilled. Glued together whilst the head was resting on a spacer to get them all the same length.

P1090192 (Copy)

Filler caps etc made with different sizes of tubing. One trick I rediscovered was for cleaning up the ratty end of the cut brass tube. Drill bit of internal diameter held in pin vice. The brass tube slips over and the end can be cleaned up. Ideal if you're trying to get tubes all the same length

P1090194 (Copy)

and here we see the results. This is the aft fuel compartment and I've labelled them so you can identify the differences

P1090198 (Copy)

The goose neck vents are not fixed yet

Them the main/midships tanks, the vents etc split by the accomadation

Stbd

P1090200 (Copy)

Port

P1090202 (Copy)

and bridge deck

P1090203 (Copy)

I'm never sure how much info to include. Some may use my tips others may think I'm up my own a***

Let me know what you want

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, longshanks said:

... I'm never sure how much info to include. ...

Let me know what you want ...

The more the merrier.  Personally, I enjoy following detailed documented builds as I'm always learning something new. 👨‍🎓

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's better to have too much detail than not enough. I find your detail work very informative and useful but I personally will only use some of it as I'm not a uber detail person...horses for courses.

Your model, so it's up to you, no complaints from moi.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m with Stuart the more details the better I think that way I can always decide on what I need to pinch use for myself 

The more information I seem to have the more it makes me want to try and add to my own builds 

and you can never get enough detail to look at on a great build like this. :popcorn:

beefy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely agree - the more tips the better - I've gone back and reread this blog and I've picked up loads second time around that didn't go in first time

Love the filler caps - (better than mine by a mile:blush:)

Soooo good to see this back in the frame.

Now - I have to ask - what putty did you use for your splinter mats?  And did you use a scalpel edge to "indent"?  I'm currently obsessing;)

And....45,000 hits:o:o:thumbsup:   (Got to be doing something right)

Rob

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your kind comments, I shall continue as before 🙂

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

what putty did you use for your splinter mats?

Called ' Green Stuff ' made by Sylmasta. Two part putty which you need together to activate, can't remember how long it takes to set but I think about 6 hours depending on temp. Its slightly bendable and can be carved. The alternative which I've used before is Milliput.

Seem to remember I rolled it out on talc, cut to size and modelled with a toothpick

HTH

Kev

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Thank you all for your kind comments, I shall continue as before 🙂

Kev

Good-ho Kev, I know I for one learn a lot from the detailed descriptions of 'how to' you give!

Good to see you back on this one, all the best,

Ray

• Thanks 1

On 10/11/2018 at 1:25 AM, longshanks said:

Some may use my tips others may think I'm up my own a***

& some of us may never use many of your tips, cause we're  probably & never will be good enough modellers but I for one enjoy seeing them, the odd one will stick & they all lead to a greater knowledge of what is possible.

Steve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

& they all lead to a greater knowledge of what is possible.

and that is why I do it! Trying to take the mystic out of scratch building. It's not difficult, it's a series of logical steps until you finish up with the desired result.

Go on give it a try you might surprise yourself

Kev

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Go on give it a try you might surprise yourself

You're right, it'd be a huge surprise if I ever achieve what you do Kev :D but I'll poach some ideas & inspiration from your builds & come up with something I'll be happy with come the day. :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

Beds for torpedo racks to bolt to formed and fixed. Meant to take a pic of construction. I do pieces like this on a piece of glass. Thatway I can glue joints and when all solid slide a blade under et voila

P1090204 (Copy)

P1090205 (Copy)

Most of the deck fittings are now complete so I thought before fixing I aught to fit the interiors. Just to remind you

Crew messdeck

P1070490 (Copy)

Fitted

Construction of alley way connecting the Office/officers/Captains/Mess area etc

P1090206 (Copy)

Left to right Skipper, Magazine, Sparky's office & washroom

P1090208 (Copy)

P1090209 (Copy)

Wardroom, galley and watertight door to forward messroom

P1090211 (Copy)

This gives an idea where it all sits and how much is visible :banghead: but we know it's there ...

P1090221 (Copy)

That's all for today, thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 5

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

I do pieces like this on a piece of glass.

Would a ceramic bath tile work in the same way if you do not have a bit of glass   :book:  :idea:

beefy

39 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Would a ceramic bath tile work in the same way

It is non-stick, put a straight edge across in various directions and make sure it's flat. Some are, some not. That's another beauty of glass it is dead flat. I have some 6mm thick glass shelves. One of which I broke, still keep the pieces for doing small projects

Kev

• Like 2