Caproni 309 Ghibli, scratch, 1/72

JWM

Hi,

I slowed down posting content of my shelves, because I started to made some sctrach conversions, which I posting on WIP forum. And one have to work also...

Today I will try to present something very special for me. This is one of only few models in my collection, which are scrach conversion made out of epoxy resin, in which I used copies of main model parts done by myself. This was the first attempt. One I alredy posted - it was Airspeed Envoy, which I prepared making copies of key parts (like wings) of Airspeed Oxford from Pavla.

The model presents Caproni Ca 309 Ghibli, This was so called "colonial" airplane - designed for transport but also for some small battles like estinguishing revolts... Its precursor was Caproni Ca 308 - a small passanger aircraft. The next was Caproni 310 - bomber followed by series of further developments Ca311-314. The main source of copied parts was then Caproni 311 by Italeri.

Ca 309 has similar dimentions but much tight fuselage and dfferent, smaller engines as well as fixed u/c nay many other changies. Clear parts are some glued from separate windows (as I shown in Percival Gull post in WIP) and nose glass was home made by means of pressing it by purposely made mould.

There is a small story behind this my conversion. In one show of models in Krakow's Museum of Aviation I shown Kaproni-Bulgaria KB 11 Fazan - made completly out of scratch (I posted her in September in RFI). And one collegue, who was in Jury of this contest told me - "Fazan is a vey intersting model. But there was another Bulgarian Caproni (or rather Kaproni - Bulgarian branch was written by "K" , since they use cyrilics) - this was a licence version of Ca 309. It would be something if you can do this for next contest". So I tried. But instead of rather dull Bulgarian dark green/light blue camo I made it in original Italian markings. And it became one of a laureate next year (but not the first prize)...

The markings are from 104 Squadron, 1 Gr. A.P.C. (whatever it menas), North Africa 1940-41, Reggia Aeronautica. Painting by brush (dry brush to imitate spraying). Decals by ESCI from different sets of Italian airplanes.

Please enjoy it and comments welcomed!

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

caproni 309 DSC02820caproni 309 DSC02819caproni 309 DSC02818caproni 309 DSC02816caproni 309 DSC02817caproni 309 DSC02815caproni 309 DSC02814caproni 309 DSC02813caproni 309 DSC02812

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 11

I find the Ca309 more attractive than its larger brethren, it's nice to see one.

I Gr APC: I can get most of it. Gr = Gruppo (I guess you know that bit) A will be Autonomo = independent The C will be Coloniale = Colonial. I might guess that the P stands for Patrol, whatever the Italian is.

• Like 1

Thank you Joachim :) I have also a "soft spot" on this Caproni series. I have four of them : 309, 310,311 and 313...I intending to post them all, but I need some time (doing photos etc...)

If I remember correctly, A.P.C. means "Aviazione Presidio Coloniale", that roughly translates into Colonial Forces Aviation. By the way, Gr. stands for "Gruppo", as Graham already said, and Sq. for "Squadriglia". An RAF Squadron is typically bigger than a Squadriglia. In numerical terms, Regia Aeronautica units were closer to the German structure, with Squadriglia strength similar to a Staffel and Gruppo to the German Gruppe.

Nice model, congratulations for your skill!

Claudio

• Like 1