De Havilland DH 84 Dragon and DH 90 Dragonfly, scratch conv. 1/72

JWM

Hi,

Recently I post a short story of conversion of Frog/Novo Percival Proctor into Percival P3 Vega Gull Six.

It warmed me a bit and I started work on something, what I had been planned from about 10 years, to do one day. It is to construct models of DH 84 Dragon and DH 90 Dragonfly. I know, tahat there are kits of them in vacu technique or a resin one. However I want to try it anyway.... This is my first time when my scratch conversion of biplane(s) which needs preparation of new wings and then it will need rigging, I hope that I will manege, but I am not sure...

The basis is SINGLE DH 89 Dragon Rapide/Domine from Heller (my is reboxed by Airfix). The other main sources for canibalization of parts are DH 88 Comet by frog/novo (incompleted, engines went to Percival Q6 Petrel, which I alredy posted on RFI) and old mould of DH 82 Tiger Moth (old tool), Airfix.

Idea is that wings of DH90 I will do from outer parts of wings of DH89 (reshaped of course), wings of DH84 I will do from Tiger Moth (outer parts) and DH89 (central parts). Engins of DH90 will be done basicly using engines of DH 89. The fuselage of DH90 will be done with a lot use of fuselage of DH 88 Comet. The fuselage of DH 84 will be done from that of DH 89. Engines will be done from one DH82 and a resing copy of it. Anyway - I do not have any idea what to do with old mould DH 82 from Airfix :).

I started about 10 days ago from cutting the nose of DH 89. Then I turn to fuselage of Dragonfly. I planed to do two cuts, to remove some part of Comet fuselage.

(I am sorry for the quality of photo, I have not noticed that it is not sharp before I cut already)

dragonfly DSC02791

After a while it was looking like this:

dragonfly DSC02793dragonfly DSC02794

Meanwhile I started to cut wings for Dragon

dragon DSC02801

I had to remove slots, as you see from one wing.

dragon DSC02795

Here wings have basic shape

dragon DSC02802

I attached struts which, after shaping will imitate ribs.

And below I present the idea of wings for Dragonfly

dragonfly DSC02804

In my up to now scratch build of airplane with windows I was always cut the openings for windows. For the first time I am testing another idea - just to glue a transparent plate with just masked windows.

dragonfly DSC02807

I started to work on interior. The floor is made of very thin plastic card, to eneble it put inside.

dragonfly DSC02809

I have to cut Dragon Rapid engines into pieces.

dragonfly DSC02810dragonfly DSC02830

The Dragonfly and Dragon had four cilinders smaller engines the the six cylinders ones of Dragon Rapid. Marked are lines for cut.

I was also filling space between ribs of Dragon's wings with thin layers of Tamiya filler. You cannot use too much filler at one, since it drying by evaporation, and the solvent is disollving polystyrene, so there is a ris of deformation of wing. This is one of key source of my fear, regarding this build.

Today I stopped at such stage:

dragon DSC02829

Thank you for watching,

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

To be continued....

Edited by JWM
switch to Flickr
  • Like 13

Hi Jerzy.

This is very interesting indeed, particularly the Dragonfly which is one of the prettiest DeHavilland aircraft ever built in my opinion.

If you need any information from the original factory drawings then please let me know.

good luck with this one.

Chris.

• Like 1

Thank you Chris. I have some plans from Internet, that what I use as background in photos are from a Spanish book (Aviones Guerra Civil...). I like both of them a lot - Dragonfly is simply pretty but Dragon looks like some scratch build in original...

And thank you Graham for this hint - I did not know this stuff. I have to look around for it,

Cheers

J-W

Hi

Today evening I work a little on Dragonfly. This is a achieved progress:

dragonfly DSC02833dragonfly DSC02835

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
switch to Flickr
  • Like 4

Hi

Just adding filler, waiting and sanding. I focused on Dragonfly first.

The progress for today evening so far:

dragonfly DSC02837dragonfly DSC02836

Still filler applying and sanding of fuselage is not finished.

BTW - can someone suggest me nice camo? I found one from Netherlands , something like overall Pale Blue-Green (Sky? - Humbrol 23?) with "neutrality" orage triangels. And black number (962) on sides.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
switch to Flickr
  • Like 6

Hi

I made some progress with Dragonfly only. First I added nose end. This is a piece cut from some nose taken from drawer...

dragonfly DSC02840

And here a tail is seen also, the perspective makes it lower, but this is just apparent.

Here vertical tail and lower wings are shown:

dragonfly DSC02839

I started work on upper wings - silver parts are from DH89 and light grey are from Comet

dragonfly DSC02838

Finally I put it together, just lower wings and tail, not upper wing, of course

dragonfly DSC02841

You might see some reinforcements of joints

The problem is to keep everything with right angles....

dragonfly DSC02842

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

To be continued....

Edited by JWM
switch to Flickr
  • Like 10

Sadly that's the ill fated Dragon which crashed fatally a little while ago. I notice that you are using the Miranda drawings. These in my opinion are scaled up from the drawings in A.J.Jacksons British Civil Aircraft volumes and are a little mixed for accuracy. Your kind of modelling is exactly that, 'Modelling'.

Regards

John

• Like 1

Hi

Report from the progress.

1. Dragon. Today morning I get photos (many thaks Ed! :) of Dragon ambulane inside. I tried to do this:

dragonfly DSC02909

The blankets are from alu foil.

That is all for Dragon for today.

2. Dragonfly

Central part of lower wing should be more thicker than outer parts. This is very unusual. I hav not realized details of this shape initially, no I think I see it properly. I had to add some thin plate on the top of central parts from boths sides.

Besides it I worked on upper wings and engines. I start to make a dummy of engines. A trick - I use a die to produce a plastic screw, which imitates then cylinders. And I constructed ai inlet in new position and shaped fronts

Aha - indeed I am using drawing by Molina. Are they really with some flaws?

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

(to be continued....)

Here some Dragonfly photos from today:

Dragonfly dSC02890dragonfly DSC02892dragonfly DSC02889

Edited by JWM
switch to Flickr
  • Like 4

I was working on Dragonfly stabilizers. I cut them out of Fi-156 (Heller/Smer) spare ones:

dragonfly DSC02912

Besides stabilizers in photo you may see resin copies of wheel and propeller as well as silica form for propeller (left). The diameter of propeller was a bit then reduced to match the plan.

And stabilizers on position:

dragonfly DSC02913

dragonfly DSC02914dragonfly DSC02915

I tried to correct the trailing edge of wing - the recent hint of John, and what I noticed also on SAAF photos (I hope it is visible :) )

(EDIT 26 07 2017 - some photos are not upgrated yet to flickr, sorry)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

(to be continued...)

Edited by JWM
switch to Flickr
  • Like 5

Just to report some progress in DH-84. Fuselage with windows and resin copies of Airfix DH82 nose for engines:

dh 84 DSC03027

Cheers

J-W.

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 7